Re: [SACC-L] Lets Talk Videos

  • Robert Muckle
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 4, 2003
      Mike, and any others who are interested:

      Wadsworth publishers provides videos from Films for the Humanities.

      I got my Darwin video several years ago, but I see in a current
      Wadsworth text I am using, under the section 'Supplements' it says
      'Qualified adopters may select full-length videos from an extensive
      library of offerings drawn from excellent educational video sources such
      as
      Films for the Humanities and Sciences.

      >>> anthropmor@... 02/04/03 10:05AM >>>
      bmuckle@... writes:

      > In an introductory biological anthropology class, I use a short
      video
      > called 'Charles Darwin'. It is 11 minutes long and is in the
      Against
      > The Odds Series from Films for the Humanities. I got mine from one
      of
      > the textbook publishers (as a bonus for choosing their text, I
      think).
      > It attempts to provide everthing you wanted to know about Darwin in
      11
      > minutes. The content isn't bad, but I use it because it has some
      > deliberatley funny bits (at least I hope they were deliberately funny
      -
      > like using what appears to be Barbie and Ken dolls to represent Adam
      and
      > Eve.)

      that sounds great!! what publisher is that from?
      mike pavlik
    • Tbbyrnehom@aol.com
      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 4, 2003
        Hi Bob and all the other good SACC folks,  I believe that the video "Other Peoples Garbage" was part of a series done by The Odyssey Group out of Boston if I remember correctly.  I did some of the study guide.  One feature was to have the student alerted to watch for certain segments.  Many students responded very favorably to this.  There were several other tapes of the series that I thought were especially good.  Unfortunately the series was not continued for a second year.  The series from FAces of Culture took over soon after. I used them for several years in a TV College course out of Chicago City Colleges.  Unfortunately the unintended results is often to INCREASE the degree of ethnocentrism in the audience.
        Maybe I have some notes on all of them at home but at present I am staying in Rhode Island until my marriage in April to a girlfriend of 45 years ago.  Still very happily retired but on occasional, after a few beers,  I do dump old lectures on friends.  Bill Byrne of SACC History.
      • anthropmor@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 4, 2003
          In a message dated 2/4/03 4:07:01 PM Central Standard Time, bmuckle@... writes:

          I got my Darwin video several years ago, but I see in a current
          Wadsworth text I am using, under the section 'Supplements' it says
          'Qualified adopters may select full-length videos from an extensive
          library of offerings drawn from excellent educational video sources such
          as
          Films for the Humanities and Sciences.

          and, by the way - anyone looking for encyclopedia britannica or coronet films should conatct facets multimedia in chicago - which has a number of them, and is most likely to have a good archive.
            john calloway did a report on these films a year or two ago, on wttw in chicago - on the chicago stories series.
          you might be able to get that at pbs.org
          thanks for the wadsworth reference - they've sent me cnn vidoes before to use w/ texts.  they are usually helpful.
          best wishes -= mike pavlik
        • Dianne.Chidester@kctcs.edu
          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 7, 2003
            A video I like is "American Tongues."  (Some of you may remember a discussion at the reception in Seattle when some of us were able to quote from the film.)  It is about American dialects but it really gets students to use an etic view when it comes to "us."  One of my Japanese students, however, complained that the government needs to teach Americans to speak the same language!

            For my intro to archaeology class I use Harold D. Juli's outline found in "Strategies in Teaching Anthropology" 2nd edited by Rice & McCurdy.    In "the Illegal Antiquities Trade, Looting, and Archaeological Ethics" (p. 30), he uses the first 15 minutes of "Raiders of the Lost Ark."  After viewing, I ask the students what they learn about archaeology from this film.  It really gets them going.

            Dianne Lynn Chidester, M.A.
            Assistant Professor
            Anthropology & Sociology
            Jefferson Community College SW
            1000 Community College Dr
            Louisville, KY  40272

            (502) 213-7354
          • anthropmor@AOL.COM
            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 7, 2003
              btw, did i mention the film "the language you cry in?" its very good - hits many topics & is really an emotive piece.
              best wishes - mike pavlik
            • Frank Timmermans
              Message 6 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                > Re: [SACC-L] Lets Talk Videos
                > Date:
                > Tue, 4 Feb 2003 10:36:01 EST
                > From:
                > LJMil@...
                > To:
                > SACC-L@yahoogroups.com

                > I'll begin a "video" file of these ongoing conversations about classroom film and video. If someone can (re)send me the ones prior to today, I'll compile them all into a resource article for the next SACC NOTES. The timing is perfect, as I'm working on it now.

                Dear Lloyd,

                I will be teaching an introductory cultural anthropology course in
                winter for which I would like to use a lot of visual materials. I have
                the video and accompanying book with excerpts by Heizer ("Seeing
                anthropology", 2nd ed.), but otherwise I don't have a clue what is out
                there.

                Would you be willing to give me some pointers?

                Thank you very much in advance.

                Cheers,

                Frank
              • Chidester, Dianne (Jefferson)
                Message 7 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                  Heider's book is now in the 3rd edition. -- Dianne

                  > I'll begin a "video" file of these ongoing conversations about
                  classroom film and video. If someone can (re)send me the ones prior to
                  today, I'll compile them all into a resource article for the next SACC
                  NOTES. The timing is perfect, as I'm working on it now.

                  Dear Lloyd,

                  I will be teaching an introductory cultural anthropology course in
                  winter for which I would like to use a lot of visual materials. I have
                  the video and accompanying book with excerpts by Heizer ("Seeing
                  anthropology", 2nd ed.), but otherwise I don't have a clue what is out
                  there.

                  Would you be willing to give me some pointers?

                  Thank you very much in advance.

                  Cheers,

                  Frank

                  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                • Dorothy Davis
                  Message 8 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                    Yeh, I've got it. but I'm still using #2.

                    Be sure to check out the SACC web page at www.anthro.cc  (NOTE THE NEW

                    http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/1MXolB/TM

                    Message 9 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                      Dear Frank,

                      I've been retired from teaching for three years and thus my knowledge of video and visual materials is quite dated. Dianne Chidester (with whom you've already corresponded on the SACC ListServ) might be a good source. She wrote the instructor's manual and student
                      guide for Heider's SEEING ANTHROPOLOGY, 1st ed and maybe the 2nd.

                      If I were going to teach again, I'd get a catalog of (U.S.) Public TV programs. They usually offer programs they've aired for sale on videotape (probably now on DVD also) for reasonable prices. Also the U. of California, Berkeley has an extensive catalog of video
                      materials for anthropology and other social sciences.

                      Sorry I can't remember more. Best of luck!

                      Sincerely,

                      Lloyd

                      Message 10 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                        Heider & Hermer have also published an extensive listing of ethnographic
                        films. It's called "Films for Anthropological Teaching." I think the
                        most recent edition is 1995, so I know there are lots more there. Also,
                        check the sources in "Seeing Anthropology." Heider lists several of the
                        film companies and I'm sure they'll be more than happy to send you their
                        lists!

                        I agree with Lloyd Miller about using Public TV programs, too. I've
                        found many of them to be quite good. I also have to admit that I've
                        paid attention to some of the films and film clips used in the anthro
                        and soc telecourses, too (e.g., "Faces of Culture").

                        Happy Hunting!
                        Dianne

                        Message 11 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                          While I always recommend "The Language You Cry In" - I believe a 2000 release, there are many fine old and new releases.
                          Is there somerthing more specific abou the videos you are looking for?
                          For example, "The Language You Cry In" would fit for the topics of Africa, African americans, ethnomusicology, and colonialism.
                          "Man of Aran" is more of a historical document about early ethnographic film attempts, although still nifty in parts.
                          ( Europe -Ireland, peasnat societies,North Atlantic fishing traditions).
                          Best Wishes- Mike Pavlik
                        • anthropmor@AOL.COM
                          Message 12 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                            In a message dated 11/18/2003 6:03:41 PM Eastern Standard Time, lloyd.miller@... writes:

                            > If I were going to teach again, I'd get a catalog of (U.S.)
                            > Public TV programs. They usually offer
                            You can check out Nova & other shows at PBS.org.
                            An excellent collection of shows -most available for purchase - someone at your library or media services probably allready has the ordering info.
                            Best Wishes - Mike Pavlik
                          • anthropmor@AOL.COM
                            Message 13 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                              In a message dated 11/18/2003 6:11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time, Dianne.Chidester@... writes:

                              > paid attention to some of the films and film clips used in
                              > the anthro
                              > and soc telecourses, too (e.g., "Faces of Culture").
                              If youre at the meetings, or any meetings with publishers- ask them about video supplements. You probably qualify for those, and they will send them to you gratis.
                              They should with the obscene prices of textbooks.
                              Best Mike Pavlik
                            • Robert Muckle
                              Message 14 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                                An excellent video when dealing with assertions of aboriginal rights in
                                BLOCKADE, which focuses on rail and road blockades by a First Nation in
                                British Columbia. It is a very powerful film, which includes behind the
                                scenes strategizing sessions. The director/producer is Nettie Wild (who
                                also did A PLACE CALLED CHIAPIS). It is available from the National Film
                                Board in Canada. The film is 90 minutes.

                                Hugh Brody is a wonderful anthropologist/filmaker who has specialized
                                in ethnographic research and filming in northern Canada. One of my
                                favourites of his films is TREATY 8 COUNTRY, which focusses on a
                                Dunne-za summer hunting camp. It covers the same people he studied in
                                his book Maps and Dreams. There is no narration, just 45 minutes of good
                                film. Students stay focussed.

                                I also like Babakiueria. It is a 30 minute production out of Australia,
                                satirizing anthropology and 'white people.'
                                The title 'Babakiueria' is taken from 'Barbeque Area', which is how the
                                white people respond to the question by Australian aborigines when they
                                are asked 'What do you call this area?).

                                Bob Muckle
                              • Chidester, Dianne (Jefferson)
                                Message 15 of 28 , Nov 19, 2003
                                  Also, the PBS website often has quite good teaching materials to go
                                  along with their shows. -- Dianne

                                  lloyd.miller@... writes:

                                  > If I were going to teach again, I'd get a catalog of (U.S.)
                                  > Public TV programs. They usually offer
                                  You can check out Nova & other shows at PBS.org.
                                  An excellent collection of shows -most available for purchase - someone
                                  at your library or media services probably allready has the ordering
                                  info.
                                  Best Wishes - Mike Pavlik

                                  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                • Ann Kaupp
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Nov 19, 2003
                                    This information on film and video sources is from a leaflet that the
                                    Smithsonian's Anthropology Outreach Offices distributes:

                                    IV. ANTHROPOLOGICAL FILM RESOURCES:

                                    UC Berkeley Extension
                                    Center for Media and Independent Learning
                                    2000 Center St. 4th Floor
                                    Berkeley, CA 94704
                                    (510) 642-0460; Fax: (510) 642-4124
                                    email: askcmil@...
                                    Anthropology and archeology film catalogues.

                                    Documentary Educational Resources
                                    101 Morse St.
                                    Watertown, MA 02472
                                    (617) 926-0491; Fax: (617) 926-9519
                                    http://der.org/docued
                                    email: DER.ORG
                                    Catalogue and study guides available.

                                    The Pennsylvania State University
                                    Audio Visual Service,
                                    Special Services Bldg.
                                    1127 Fox Hill Rd.
                                    University Park, PA 16803-1824
                                    (814) 865-6314
                                    Toll free: (800) 826-0132
                                    Fax: (814) 863-2574
                                    email: avsmedia@...
                                    http://www.libraries.psu.edu/mtss/
                                    Films and videos

                                    National Geographic Society
                                    Educational Services
                                    P. O. Box 98019 Washington, D.C. 20090
                                    (800) 368-2728
                                    http://www.nationalgeographic.com
                                    Educational Films catalogue

                                    The Archaeological Institute of America
                                    656 Beacon Street
                                    Boston, MA 02215
                                    (617) 353-9361; Fax: (617) 353-6550
                                    http://www.archaeological.org
                                    email: aia@...
                                    Archaeology on Film 2nd ed. 2002
                                    catalogue price: $9.98 Available from
                                    David Brown Book Co., (800) 791-9354.

                                    National Museum of the American Indian
                                    Film and Video Department
                                    Smithsonian Institution
                                    George Gustav Heye Center
                                    1 Bowling Green
                                    New York, NY 10004
                                    (212) 514-3737; Fax: (212) 514-3800
                                    email:fvc@...
                                    www.si.edu/nmai/
                                    Native Americans on Film and Video

                                    Shenandoah Film Productions
                                    538 G St.
                                    Arcata, CA 95521
                                    (707) 822-1030; Fax: (707) 822-1035
                                    email: shenfilm@...
                                    Native American Videos catalog.
                                    Indian-owned enterprise.

                                    PBS Video
                                    1320 Braddock Place
                                    Alexandria, VA 22314-1698
                                    (703) 739-5380; Fax: (703) 739-5269
                                    www/pbs.org
                                    Sale distribution of three parts of the 14-part Odyssey television film
                                    series: "Myths and Mounds," "Inca," and "Maya."

                                    For Japanese feature films, contact:

                                    Facets Video
                                    1571 West Fullerton Ave.
                                    Chicago, IL 60614
                                    Tel: (800) 331-6197
                                    www.facets.org

                                    Movies Unlimited
                                    3015 Darnell Road
                                    Philadelphia, PA 19154
                                    Tel: (800) 668-4344
                                    www.moviesunlimited.com

                                    Center for South Asia Area
                                    University of Wisconsin-Madison
                                    203 Ingraham Hall, 1155 Observatory Dr.
                                    Madison, WI 53706
                                    (608) 262-4884; Fax: (608) 265-3062
                                    www.wisc.edu/southasia/films/index.html
                                    email: info@...
                                    South Asia films.

                                    Films for the Humanities & Sciences
                                    PO Box 2053
                                    Princeton, NJ 08543-2053
                                    (800) 257-5126 or (609) 275-3767
                                    http://www.films.com
                                    email: custserv@...

                                    BFA Educational Media
                                    2349 Chaffee Dr.
                                    St. Louis, MO 63146
                                    (314) 569-0211

                                    Vision Maker Video
                                    P.O. Box 83111
                                    Lincoln, NE 68501
                                    (402) 472-3522
                                    Fax: (402) 472-8675
                                    www.visionmaker.org
                                    (Films with a Native American perspective)

                                    Alarion Press
                                    P.O. Box 1882
                                    Boulder, CO 80306-1882
                                    (303) 433-9039; (800) 523-9177
                                    Fax: (303) 443-9098
                                    History Through Art and Archaeology (free catalogue. Includes videos
                                    prepared by the Archaeological Institute of America.)

                                    V. FILMSTRIPS AND SLIDE SETS

                                    National Geographic Society
                                    Educational Services
                                    P. O. Box 98019
                                    Washington, D.C. 20090
                                    (800) 368-2728
                                    http://www.nationalgeographic.com
                                    Educational Services catalogue (free)

                                    Educational Images Limited
                                    P.O. Box 3456
                                    Westside Station
                                    Elmira, NY 14905-0456
                                    (607) 732-1090; (800) 527-4264
                                    Fax: (607) 732-1183
                                    www.educationalimages.com
                                    email: edimages@...
                                    Audio Visuals and Software for Creative Teaching (free catalogue)

                                    Pictures of Record
                                    119 Kettle Creek Rd.
                                    Weston, CT 06883
                                    (203) 227-3387; Fax: (203) 222-9673
                                    email: picturesofrecord@...
                                    www.picturesofrecord.com
                                    Archeological slide sets and digital images of major pre-Columbian
                                    archeological sites and artifacts. (free catalogue)

                                    American Museum of Natural History
                                    Department of Library Services-Special Collections
                                    Central Park West at 79th St.
                                    New York, NY 10024
                                    (212) 769-5400; Fax: (212) 769-5009
                                    email: libraryweb@...
                                    http://library.amnh.org/special/index.html
                                    Color slides on exhibit halls and dioramas; human evolution; and
                                    American Indian, Asian, African, Mesoamerican cultures and artifacts.

                                    >>> lloyd.miller@... 11/18/03 06:03PM >>>

                                    Frank Timmermans wrote:

                                    > > Re: [SACC-L] Lets Talk Videos
                                    > > Date:
                                    > > Tue, 4 Feb 2003 10:36:01 EST
                                    > > From:
                                    > > LJMil@...
                                    > > To:
                                    > > SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
                                    >
                                    > > I'll begin a "video" file of these ongoing conversations about
                                    classroom film and video. If someone can (re)send me the ones prior to
                                    today, I'll compile them all into a resource article for the next SACC
                                    NOTES. The timing is perfect, as I'm working on it now.

                                    > Dear Lloyd,
                                    >
                                    > I will be teaching an introductory cultural anthropology course in
                                    > winter for which I would like to use a lot of visual materials. I have
                                    > the video and accompanying book with excerpts by Heizer ("Seeing
                                    > anthropology", 2nd ed.), but otherwise I don't have a clue what is out
                                    > there.
                                    >
                                    > Would you be willing to give me some pointers?
                                    >
                                    > Thank you very much in advance.
                                    >
                                    > Cheers,
                                    >
                                    > Frank

                                    Ann Kaupp, Head