Re: [SACC-L] Lets Talk Videos

  • anthropmor@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 4, 2003
      In a message dated 2/3/03 5:56:55 PM Central Standard Time, bmuckle@... writes:

      In an introductory biological anthropology class, I use a short video
      called 'Charles Darwin'.  It is 11 minutes long and is in the Against
      The Odds Series from Films for the Humanities. I got mine from one of
      the textbook publishers (as a bonus for choosing their text, I think).
      It attempts to provide everthing you wanted to know about Darwin in 11
      minutes. The content isn't bad, but I use it because it has some
      deliberatley funny bits (at least I hope they were deliberately funny -
      like using what appears to be Barbie and Ken dolls to represent Adam and
      Eve.)

      that sounds great!! what publisher is that from?
      mike pavlik
    • anthropmor@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 4, 2003
        In a message dated 2/4/03 8:06:27 AM Central Standard Time, ddbruner@... writes:

        I've been trying to find a film that I saw
        a year or two ago.  It's from a Science Fiction Theater sequence. I think that it was originally a "home ec" film from the
        1950's. It's about a family getting ready for dinner.  It is so dated, the students think that it is hilarious.  It's a great
        example of culture change.

        the film is called " a date with your family"  and was from encyclopedia britanica films, i believe. or possibly coronet films.  it was done on MST ( mystery science theatre) w/ jokes, but you can get several of those films from old libraries.
          there are also dating etiquette films, marriage & family series - tons of them.
        coronet films & e.b. films both worked out of chicago, so videofinders should be able to help.
        best wishes - mike pavlik
      • Robert Muckle
        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 4, 2003
          Mike, and any others who are interested:

          Wadsworth publishers provides videos from Films for the Humanities.

          I got my Darwin video several years ago, but I see in a current
          Wadsworth text I am using, under the section 'Supplements' it says
          'Qualified adopters may select full-length videos from an extensive
          library of offerings drawn from excellent educational video sources such
          as
          Films for the Humanities and Sciences.

          >>> anthropmor@... 02/04/03 10:05AM >>>

        • Tbbyrnehom@aol.com
          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 4, 2003
            Hi Bob and all the other good SACC folks,  I believe that the video "Other Peoples Garbage" was part of a series done by The Odyssey Group out of Boston if I remember correctly.  I did some of the study guide.  One feature was to have the student alerted to watch for certain segments.  Many students responded very favorably to this.  There were several other tapes of the series that I thought were especially good.  Unfortunately the series was not continued for a second year.  The series from FAces of Culture took over soon after. I used them for several years in a TV College course out of Chicago City Colleges.  Unfortunately the unintended results is often to INCREASE the degree of ethnocentrism in the audience.
            Maybe I have some notes on all of them at home but at present I am staying in Rhode Island until my marriage in April to a girlfriend of 45 years ago.  Still very happily retired but on occasional, after a few beers,  I do dump old lectures on friends.  Bill Byrne of SACC History.
          • anthropmor@AOL.COM
            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 4, 2003
              In a message dated 2/4/03 4:07:01 PM Central Standard Time, bmuckle@... writes:

              I got my Darwin video several years ago, but I see in a current
              Wadsworth text I am using, under the section 'Supplements' it says
              'Qualified adopters may select full-length videos from an extensive
              library of offerings drawn from excellent educational video sources such
              as
              Films for the Humanities and Sciences.

              and, by the way - anyone looking for encyclopedia britannica or coronet films should conatct facets multimedia in chicago - which has a number of them, and is most likely to have a good archive.
                john calloway did a report on these films a year or two ago, on wttw in chicago - on the chicago stories series.
              you might be able to get that at pbs.org
              thanks for the wadsworth reference - they've sent me cnn vidoes before to use w/ texts.  they are usually helpful.
              best wishes -= mike pavlik
            • Dianne.Chidester@kctcs.edu
              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 7, 2003
                A video I like is "American Tongues."  (Some of you may remember a discussion at the reception in Seattle when some of us were able to quote from the film.)  It is about American dialects but it really gets students to use an etic view when it comes to "us."  One of my Japanese students, however, complained that the government needs to teach Americans to speak the same language!

                For my intro to archaeology class I use Harold D. Juli's outline found in "Strategies in Teaching Anthropology" 2nd edited by Rice & McCurdy.    In "the Illegal Antiquities Trade, Looting, and Archaeological Ethics" (p. 30), he uses the first 15 minutes of "Raiders of the Lost Ark."  After viewing, I ask the students what they learn about archaeology from this film.  It really gets them going.

                Dianne Lynn Chidester, M.A.
                Assistant Professor
                Anthropology & Sociology
                Jefferson Community College SW
                1000 Community College Dr
                Louisville, KY  40272

                (502) 213-7354
              • anthropmor@AOL.COM
                Message 7 of 28 , Feb 7, 2003
                  btw, did i mention the film "the language you cry in?" its very good - hits many topics & is really an emotive piece.
                  best wishes - mike pavlik
                • Frank Timmermans
                  Message 8 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                    > Re: [SACC-L] Lets Talk Videos
                    > Date:
                    > Tue, 4 Feb 2003 10:36:01 EST
                    > From:
                    > LJMil@...
                    > To:
                    > SACC-L@yahoogroups.com

                    > I'll begin a "video" file of these ongoing conversations about classroom film and video. If someone can (re)send me the ones prior to today, I'll compile them all into a resource article for the next SACC NOTES. The timing is perfect, as I'm working on it now.

                    Dear Lloyd,

                    I will be teaching an introductory cultural anthropology course in
                    winter for which I would like to use a lot of visual materials. I have
                    the video and accompanying book with excerpts by Heizer ("Seeing
                    anthropology", 2nd ed.), but otherwise I don't have a clue what is out
                    there.

                    Would you be willing to give me some pointers?

                    Thank you very much in advance.

                    Cheers,

                    Frank
                  • Chidester, Dianne (Jefferson)
                    Message 9 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                      Heider's book is now in the 3rd edition. -- Dianne

                      > I'll begin a "video" file of these ongoing conversations about
                      classroom film and video. If someone can (re)send me the ones prior to
                      today, I'll compile them all into a resource article for the next SACC
                      NOTES. The timing is perfect, as I'm working on it now.

                      Dear Lloyd,

                      I will be teaching an introductory cultural anthropology course in
                      winter for which I would like to use a lot of visual materials. I have
                      the video and accompanying book with excerpts by Heizer ("Seeing
                      anthropology", 2nd ed.), but otherwise I don't have a clue what is out
                      there.

                      Would you be willing to give me some pointers?

                      Thank you very much in advance.

                      Cheers,

                      Frank

                      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                    • Dorothy Davis
                      Message 10 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                        Yeh, I've got it. but I'm still using #2.

                        Be sure to check out the SACC web page at www.anthro.cc  (NOTE THE NEW

                        http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                        http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/1MXolB/TM

                        Message 11 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                          Dear Frank,

                          I've been retired from teaching for three years and thus my knowledge of video and visual materials is quite dated. Dianne Chidester (with whom you've already corresponded on the SACC ListServ) might be a good source. She wrote the instructor's manual and student
                          guide for Heider's SEEING ANTHROPOLOGY, 1st ed and maybe the 2nd.

                          If I were going to teach again, I'd get a catalog of (U.S.) Public TV programs. They usually offer programs they've aired for sale on videotape (probably now on DVD also) for reasonable prices. Also the U. of California, Berkeley has an extensive catalog of video
                          materials for anthropology and other social sciences.

                          Sorry I can't remember more. Best of luck!

                          Sincerely,

                          Lloyd

                          Message 12 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                            Heider & Hermer have also published an extensive listing of ethnographic
                            films. It's called "Films for Anthropological Teaching." I think the
                            most recent edition is 1995, so I know there are lots more there. Also,
                            check the sources in "Seeing Anthropology." Heider lists several of the
                            film companies and I'm sure they'll be more than happy to send you their
                            lists!

                            I agree with Lloyd Miller about using Public TV programs, too. I've
                            found many of them to be quite good. I also have to admit that I've
                            paid attention to some of the films and film clips used in the anthro
                            and soc telecourses, too (e.g., "Faces of Culture").

                            Happy Hunting!
                            Dianne

                            Message 13 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                              While I always recommend "The Language You Cry In" - I believe a 2000 release, there are many fine old and new releases.
                              Is there somerthing more specific abou the videos you are looking for?
                              For example, "The Language You Cry In" would fit for the topics of Africa, African americans, ethnomusicology, and colonialism.
                              "Man of Aran" is more of a historical document about early ethnographic film attempts, although still nifty in parts.
                              ( Europe -Ireland, peasnat societies,North Atlantic fishing traditions).
                              Best Wishes- Mike Pavlik
                            • anthropmor@AOL.COM
                              Message 14 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                                In a message dated 11/18/2003 6:03:41 PM Eastern Standard Time, lloyd.miller@... writes:

                                > If I were going to teach again, I'd get a catalog of (U.S.)
                                > Public TV programs. They usually offer
                                You can check out Nova & other shows at PBS.org.
                                An excellent collection of shows -most available for purchase - someone at your library or media services probably allready has the ordering info.
                                Best Wishes - Mike Pavlik
                              • anthropmor@AOL.COM
                                Message 15 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                                  In a message dated 11/18/2003 6:11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time, Dianne.Chidester@... writes:

                                  > paid attention to some of the films and film clips used in
                                  > the anthro
                                  > and soc telecourses, too (e.g., "Faces of Culture").
                                  If youre at the meetings, or any meetings with publishers- ask them about video supplements. You probably qualify for those, and they will send them to you gratis.
                                  They should with the obscene prices of textbooks.
                                  Best Mike Pavlik
                                • Robert Muckle
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                                    An excellent video when dealing with assertions of aboriginal rights in
                                    BLOCKADE, which focuses on rail and road blockades by a First Nation in
                                    British Columbia. It is a very powerful film, which includes behind the
                                    scenes strategizing sessions. The director/producer is Nettie Wild (who
                                    also did A PLACE CALLED CHIAPIS). It is available from the National Film
                                    Board in Canada. The film is 90 minutes.

                                    Hugh Brody is a wonderful anthropologist/filmaker who has specialized
                                    in ethnographic research and filming in northern Canada. One of my
                                    favourites of his films is TREATY 8 COUNTRY, which focusses on a
                                    Dunne-za summer hunting camp. It covers the same people he studied in
                                    his book Maps and Dreams. There is no narration, just 45 minutes of good
                                    film. Students stay focussed.

                                    I also like Babakiueria. It is a 30 minute production out of Australia,
                                    satirizing anthropology and 'white people.'
                                    The title 'Babakiueria' is taken from 'Barbeque Area', which is how the
                                    white people respond to the question by Australian aborigines when they
                                    are asked 'What do you call this area?).

                                    Bob Muckle
                                  • Chidester, Dianne (Jefferson)
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Nov 19, 2003
                                      Also, the PBS website often has quite good teaching materials to go
                                      along with their shows. -- Dianne

                                      lloyd.miller@... writes:

                                      > If I were going to teach again, I'd get a catalog of (U.S.)
                                      > Public TV programs. They usually offer
                                      You can check out Nova & other shows at PBS.org.
                                      An excellent collection of shows -most available for purchase - someone
                                      at your library or media services probably allready has the ordering
                                      info.
                                      Best Wishes - Mike Pavlik

                                      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                    • Ann Kaupp
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Nov 19, 2003
                                        This information on film and video sources is from a leaflet that the
                                        Smithsonian's Anthropology Outreach Offices distributes:

                                        IV. ANTHROPOLOGICAL FILM RESOURCES:

                                        UC Berkeley Extension
                                        Center for Media and Independent Learning
                                        2000 Center St. 4th Floor
                                        Berkeley, CA 94704
                                        (510) 642-0460; Fax: (510) 642-4124
                                        email: askcmil@...
                                        Anthropology and archeology film catalogues.

                                        Documentary Educational Resources
                                        101 Morse St.
                                        Watertown, MA 02472
                                        (617) 926-0491; Fax: (617) 926-9519
                                        http://der.org/docued
                                        email: DER.ORG
                                        Catalogue and study guides available.

                                        The Pennsylvania State University
                                        Audio Visual Service,
                                        Special Services Bldg.
                                        1127 Fox Hill Rd.
                                        University Park, PA 16803-1824
                                        (814) 865-6314
                                        Toll free: (800) 826-0132
                                        Fax: (814) 863-2574
                                        email: avsmedia@...
                                        http://www.libraries.psu.edu/mtss/
                                        Films and videos

                                        National Geographic Society
                                        Educational Services
                                        P. O. Box 98019 Washington, D.C. 20090
                                        (800) 368-2728
                                        http://www.nationalgeographic.com
                                        Educational Films catalogue

                                        The Archaeological Institute of America
                                        656 Beacon Street
                                        Boston, MA 02215
                                        (617) 353-9361; Fax: (617) 353-6550
                                        http://www.archaeological.org
                                        email: aia@...
                                        Archaeology on Film 2nd ed. 2002
                                        catalogue price: $9.98 Available from
                                        David Brown Book Co., (800) 791-9354.

                                        National Museum of the American Indian
                                        Film and Video Department
                                        Smithsonian Institution
                                        George Gustav Heye Center
                                        1 Bowling Green
                                        New York, NY 10004
                                        (212) 514-3737; Fax: (212) 514-3800
                                        email:fvc@...
                                        www.si.edu/nmai/
                                        Native Americans on Film and Video

                                        Shenandoah Film Productions
                                        538 G St.
                                        Arcata, CA 95521
                                        (707) 822-1030; Fax: (707) 822-1035
                                        email: shenfilm@...
                                        Native American Videos catalog.
                                        Indian-owned enterprise.

                                        PBS Video
                                        1320 Braddock Place
                                        Alexandria, VA 22314-1698
                                        (703) 739-5380; Fax: (703) 739-5269
                                        www/pbs.org
                                        Sale distribution of three parts of the 14-part Odyssey television film
                                        series: "Myths and Mounds," "Inca," and "Maya."

                                        For Japanese feature films, contact:

                                        Facets Video
                                        1571 West Fullerton Ave.
                                        Chicago, IL 60614
                                        Tel: (800) 331-6197
                                        www.facets.org

                                        Movies Unlimited
                                        3015 Darnell Road
                                        Philadelphia, PA 19154
                                        Tel: (800) 668-4344
                                        www.moviesunlimited.com

                                        Center for South Asia Area
                                        University of Wisconsin-Madison
                                        203 Ingraham Hall, 1155 Observatory Dr.
                                        Madison, WI 53706
                                        (608) 262-4884; Fax: (608) 265-3062
                                        www.wisc.edu/southasia/films/index.html
                                        email: info@...
                                        South Asia films.

                                        Films for the Humanities & Sciences
                                        PO Box 2053
                                        Princeton, NJ 08543-2053
                                        (800) 257-5126 or (609) 275-3767
                                        http://www.films.com
                                        email: custserv@...

                                        BFA Educational Media
                                        2349 Chaffee Dr.
                                        St. Louis, MO 63146
                                        (314) 569-0211

                                        Vision Maker Video
                                        P.O. Box 83111
                                        Lincoln, NE 68501
                                        (402) 472-3522
                                        Fax: (402) 472-8675
                                        www.visionmaker.org
                                        (Films with a Native American perspective)

                                        Alarion Press
                                        P.O. Box 1882
                                        Boulder, CO 80306-1882
                                        (303) 433-9039; (800) 523-9177
                                        Fax: (303) 443-9098
                                        History Through Art and Archaeology (free catalogue. Includes videos
                                        prepared by the Archaeological Institute of America.)

                                        V. FILMSTRIPS AND SLIDE SETS

                                        National Geographic Society
                                        Educational Services
                                        P. O. Box 98019
                                        Washington, D.C. 20090
                                        (800) 368-2728
                                        http://www.nationalgeographic.com
                                        Educational Services catalogue (free)

                                        Educational Images Limited
                                        P.O. Box 3456
                                        Westside Station
                                        Elmira, NY 14905-0456
                                        (607) 732-1090; (800) 527-4264
                                        Fax: (607) 732-1183
                                        www.educationalimages.com
                                        email: edimages@...
                                        Audio Visuals and Software for Creative Teaching (free catalogue)

                                        Pictures of Record
                                        119 Kettle Creek Rd.
                                        Weston, CT 06883
                                        (203) 227-3387; Fax: (203) 222-9673
                                        email: picturesofrecord@...
                                        www.picturesofrecord.com
                                        Archeological slide sets and digital images of major pre-Columbian
                                        archeological sites and artifacts. (free catalogue)

                                        American Museum of Natural History
                                        Department of Library Services-Special Collections
                                        Central Park West at 79th St.
                                        New York, NY 10024
                                        (212) 769-5400; Fax: (212) 769-5009
                                        email: libraryweb@...
                                        http://library.amnh.org/special/index.html
                                        Color slides on exhibit halls and dioramas; human evolution; and
                                        American Indian, Asian, African, Mesoamerican cultures and artifacts.

                                        >>> lloyd.miller@... 11/18/03 06:03PM >>>

                                        Frank Timmermans wrote:

                                        > > Re: [SACC-L] Lets Talk Videos
                                        > > Date:
                                        > > Tue, 4 Feb 2003 10:36:01 EST
                                        > > From:
                                        > > LJMil@...
                                        > > To:
                                        > > SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
                                        >
                                        > > I'll begin a "video" file of these ongoing conversations about
                                        classroom film and video. If someone can (re)send me the ones prior to
                                        today, I'll compile them all into a resource article for the next SACC
                                        NOTES. The timing is perfect, as I'm working on it now.

                                        > Dear Lloyd,
                                        >
                                        > I will be teaching an introductory cultural anthropology course in
                                        > winter for which I would like to use a lot of visual materials. I have
                                        > the video and accompanying book with excerpts by Heizer ("Seeing
                                        > anthropology", 2nd ed.), but otherwise I don't have a clue what is out
                                        > there.
                                        >
                                        > Would you be willing to give me some pointers?
                                        >
                                        > Thank you very much in advance.
                                        >
                                        > Cheers,
                                        >
                                        > Frank

                                        Ann Kaupp, Head