Re: [SACC-L] Lets Talk Videos

  • LJMil@aol.com
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 4 7:36 AM
      I'll begin a "video" file of these ongoing conversations about classroom film
      and video. If someone can (re)send me the ones prior to today, I'll compile
      them all into a resource article for the next SACC NOTES. The timing is
      perfect, as I'm working on it now.
      Lloyd
    • LAWolfe@aol.com
      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 4 8:21 AM
        <PRE>I'm a bit nervous about publicly disclosing (e.g. SACC Notes) the videos I
        use in that I don't have proper legal access to use them. Having worked for
        schools that typically had no budgets for videos, I've acquired my own
        collection from taping things off of TV, making copies of other professors
        collections as well as copies of things from libraries. Since I don't store
        my collection on campus, I'm not particularly worried about getting caught.
        Leanna Wolfe
      • anthropmor@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 4 10:05 AM
          In a message dated 2/3/03 5:56:55 PM Central Standard Time, bmuckle@... writes:

          In an introductory biological anthropology class, I use a short video
          called 'Charles Darwin'.  It is 11 minutes long and is in the Against
          The Odds Series from Films for the Humanities. I got mine from one of
          the textbook publishers (as a bonus for choosing their text, I think).
          It attempts to provide everthing you wanted to know about Darwin in 11
          minutes. The content isn't bad, but I use it because it has some
          deliberatley funny bits (at least I hope they were deliberately funny -
          like using what appears to be Barbie and Ken dolls to represent Adam and
          Eve.)

          that sounds great!! what publisher is that from?
          mike pavlik
        • anthropmor@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 4 10:11 AM
            In a message dated 2/4/03 8:06:27 AM Central Standard Time, ddbruner@... writes:

            I've been trying to find a film that I saw
            a year or two ago.  It's from a Science Fiction Theater sequence. I think that it was originally a "home ec" film from the
            1950's. It's about a family getting ready for dinner.  It is so dated, the students think that it is hilarious.  It's a great
            example of culture change.

            the film is called " a date with your family"  and was from encyclopedia britanica films, i believe. or possibly coronet films.  it was done on MST ( mystery science theatre) w/ jokes, but you can get several of those films from old libraries.
              there are also dating etiquette films, marriage & family series - tons of them.
            coronet films & e.b. films both worked out of chicago, so videofinders should be able to help.
            best wishes - mike pavlik
          • Robert Muckle
            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 4 1:52 PM
              Mike, and any others who are interested:

              Wadsworth publishers provides videos from Films for the Humanities.

              I got my Darwin video several years ago, but I see in a current
              Wadsworth text I am using, under the section 'Supplements' it says
              'Qualified adopters may select full-length videos from an extensive
              library of offerings drawn from excellent educational video sources such
              as
              Films for the Humanities and Sciences.

              >>> anthropmor@... 02/04/03 10:05AM >>>

            • Tbbyrnehom@aol.com
              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 4 3:39 PM
                Hi Bob and all the other good SACC folks,  I believe that the video "Other Peoples Garbage" was part of a series done by The Odyssey Group out of Boston if I remember correctly.  I did some of the study guide.  One feature was to have the student alerted to watch for certain segments.  Many students responded very favorably to this.  There were several other tapes of the series that I thought were especially good.  Unfortunately the series was not continued for a second year.  The series from FAces of Culture took over soon after. I used them for several years in a TV College course out of Chicago City Colleges.  Unfortunately the unintended results is often to INCREASE the degree of ethnocentrism in the audience.
                Maybe I have some notes on all of them at home but at present I am staying in Rhode Island until my marriage in April to a girlfriend of 45 years ago.  Still very happily retired but on occasional, after a few beers,  I do dump old lectures on friends.  Bill Byrne of SACC History.
              • anthropmor@AOL.COM
                Message 7 of 28 , Feb 4 9:11 PM
                  In a message dated 2/4/03 4:07:01 PM Central Standard Time, bmuckle@... writes:

                  I got my Darwin video several years ago, but I see in a current
                  Wadsworth text I am using, under the section 'Supplements' it says
                  'Qualified adopters may select full-length videos from an extensive
                  library of offerings drawn from excellent educational video sources such
                  as
                  Films for the Humanities and Sciences.

                  and, by the way - anyone looking for encyclopedia britannica or coronet films should conatct facets multimedia in chicago - which has a number of them, and is most likely to have a good archive.
                    john calloway did a report on these films a year or two ago, on wttw in chicago - on the chicago stories series.
                  you might be able to get that at pbs.org
                  thanks for the wadsworth reference - they've sent me cnn vidoes before to use w/ texts.  they are usually helpful.
                  best wishes -= mike pavlik
                • Dianne.Chidester@kctcs.edu
                  Message 8 of 28 , Feb 7 9:44 AM
                    A video I like is "American Tongues."  (Some of you may remember a discussion at the reception in Seattle when some of us were able to quote from the film.)  It is about American dialects but it really gets students to use an etic view when it comes to "us."  One of my Japanese students, however, complained that the government needs to teach Americans to speak the same language!

                    For my intro to archaeology class I use Harold D. Juli's outline found in "Strategies in Teaching Anthropology" 2nd edited by Rice & McCurdy.    In "the Illegal Antiquities Trade, Looting, and Archaeological Ethics" (p. 30), he uses the first 15 minutes of "Raiders of the Lost Ark."  After viewing, I ask the students what they learn about archaeology from this film.  It really gets them going.

                    Dianne Lynn Chidester, M.A.
                    Assistant Professor
                    Anthropology & Sociology
                    Jefferson Community College SW
                    1000 Community College Dr
                    Louisville, KY  40272

                    (502) 213-7354
                  • anthropmor@AOL.COM
                    Message 9 of 28 , Feb 7 2:42 PM
                      btw, did i mention the film "the language you cry in?" its very good - hits many topics & is really an emotive piece.
                      best wishes - mike pavlik
                    • Frank Timmermans
                      Message 10 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                        > Re: [SACC-L] Lets Talk Videos
                        > Date:
                        > Tue, 4 Feb 2003 10:36:01 EST
                        > From:
                        > LJMil@...
                        > To:
                        > SACC-L@yahoogroups.com

                        > I'll begin a "video" file of these ongoing conversations about classroom film and video. If someone can (re)send me the ones prior to today, I'll compile them all into a resource article for the next SACC NOTES. The timing is perfect, as I'm working on it now.

                        Dear Lloyd,

                        I will be teaching an introductory cultural anthropology course in
                        winter for which I would like to use a lot of visual materials. I have
                        the video and accompanying book with excerpts by Heizer ("Seeing
                        anthropology", 2nd ed.), but otherwise I don't have a clue what is out
                        there.

                        Would you be willing to give me some pointers?

                        Thank you very much in advance.

                        Cheers,

                        Frank
                      • Chidester, Dianne (Jefferson)
                        Message 11 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                          Heider's book is now in the 3rd edition. -- Dianne

                          > I'll begin a "video" file of these ongoing conversations about
                          classroom film and video. If someone can (re)send me the ones prior to
                          today, I'll compile them all into a resource article for the next SACC
                          NOTES. The timing is perfect, as I'm working on it now.

                          Dear Lloyd,

                          I will be teaching an introductory cultural anthropology course in
                          winter for which I would like to use a lot of visual materials. I have
                          the video and accompanying book with excerpts by Heizer ("Seeing
                          anthropology", 2nd ed.), but otherwise I don't have a clue what is out
                          there.

                          Would you be willing to give me some pointers?

                          Thank you very much in advance.

                          Cheers,

                          Frank

                          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                        • Dorothy Davis
                          Message 12 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                            Yeh, I've got it. but I'm still using #2.

                            Be sure to check out the SACC web page at www.anthro.cc  (NOTE THE NEW

                            http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                            http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/1MXolB/TM

                            Message 13 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                              Dear Frank,

                              I've been retired from teaching for three years and thus my knowledge of video and visual materials is quite dated. Dianne Chidester (with whom you've already corresponded on the SACC ListServ) might be a good source. She wrote the instructor's manual and student
                              guide for Heider's SEEING ANTHROPOLOGY, 1st ed and maybe the 2nd.

                              If I were going to teach again, I'd get a catalog of (U.S.) Public TV programs. They usually offer programs they've aired for sale on videotape (probably now on DVD also) for reasonable prices. Also the U. of California, Berkeley has an extensive catalog of video
                              materials for anthropology and other social sciences.

                              Sorry I can't remember more. Best of luck!

                              Sincerely,

                              Lloyd

                              Message 14 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                                Heider & Hermer have also published an extensive listing of ethnographic
                                films. It's called "Films for Anthropological Teaching." I think the
                                most recent edition is 1995, so I know there are lots more there. Also,
                                check the sources in "Seeing Anthropology." Heider lists several of the
                                film companies and I'm sure they'll be more than happy to send you their
                                lists!

                                I agree with Lloyd Miller about using Public TV programs, too. I've
                                found many of them to be quite good. I also have to admit that I've
                                paid attention to some of the films and film clips used in the anthro
                                and soc telecourses, too (e.g., "Faces of Culture").

                                Happy Hunting!
                                Dianne

                                Message 15 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                                  While I always recommend "The Language You Cry In" - I believe a 2000 release, there are many fine old and new releases.
                                  Is there somerthing more specific abou the videos you are looking for?
                                  For example, "The Language You Cry In" would fit for the topics of Africa, African americans, ethnomusicology, and colonialism.
                                  "Man of Aran" is more of a historical document about early ethnographic film attempts, although still nifty in parts.
                                  ( Europe -Ireland, peasnat societies,North Atlantic fishing traditions).
                                  Best Wishes- Mike Pavlik
                                • anthropmor@AOL.COM
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                                    In a message dated 11/18/2003 6:03:41 PM Eastern Standard Time, lloyd.miller@... writes:

                                    > If I were going to teach again, I'd get a catalog of (U.S.)
                                    > Public TV programs. They usually offer
                                    You can check out Nova & other shows at PBS.org.
                                    An excellent collection of shows -most available for purchase - someone at your library or media services probably allready has the ordering info.
                                    Best Wishes - Mike Pavlik
                                  • anthropmor@AOL.COM
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                                      In a message dated 11/18/2003 6:11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time, Dianne.Chidester@... writes:

                                      > paid attention to some of the films and film clips used in
                                      > the anthro
                                      > and soc telecourses, too (e.g., "Faces of Culture").
                                      If youre at the meetings, or any meetings with publishers- ask them about video supplements. You probably qualify for those, and they will send them to you gratis.
                                      They should with the obscene prices of textbooks.
                                      Best Mike Pavlik
                                    • Robert Muckle
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                                        An excellent video when dealing with assertions of aboriginal rights in
                                        BLOCKADE, which focuses on rail and road blockades by a First Nation in
                                        British Columbia. It is a very powerful film, which includes behind the
                                        scenes strategizing sessions. The director/producer is Nettie Wild (who
                                        also did A PLACE CALLED CHIAPIS). It is available from the National Film
                                        Board in Canada. The film is 90 minutes.

                                        Hugh Brody is a wonderful anthropologist/filmaker who has specialized
                                        in ethnographic research and filming in northern Canada. One of my
                                        favourites of his films is TREATY 8 COUNTRY, which focusses on a
                                        Dunne-za summer hunting camp. It covers the same people he studied in
                                        his book Maps and Dreams. There is no narration, just 45 minutes of good
                                        film. Students stay focussed.

                                        I also like Babakiueria. It is a 30 minute production out of Australia,
                                        satirizing anthropology and 'white people.'
                                        The title 'Babakiueria' is taken from 'Barbeque Area', which is how the
                                        white people respond to the question by Australian aborigines when they
                                        are asked 'What do you call this area?).

                                        Bob Muckle
                                      • Chidester, Dianne (Jefferson)
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Nov 19, 2003
                                          Also, the PBS website often has quite good teaching materials to go
                                          along with their shows. -- Dianne

                                          lloyd.miller@... writes:

                                          > If I were going to teach again, I'd get a catalog of (U.S.)
                                          > Public TV programs. They usually offer
                                          You can check out Nova & other shows at PBS.org.
                                          An excellent collection of shows -most available for purchase - someone
                                          at your library or media services probably allready has the ordering
                                          info.
                                          Best Wishes - Mike Pavlik

                                          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                        • Ann Kaupp
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Nov 19, 2003
                                            This information on film and video sources is from a leaflet that the
                                            Smithsonian's Anthropology Outreach Offices distributes:

                                            IV. ANTHROPOLOGICAL FILM RESOURCES:

                                            UC Berkeley Extension
                                            Center for Media and Independent Learning
                                            2000 Center St. 4th Floor
                                            Berkeley, CA 94704
                                            (510) 642-0460; Fax: (510) 642-4124
                                            email: askcmil@...
                                            Anthropology and archeology film catalogues.

                                            Documentary Educational Resources
                                            101 Morse St.
                                            Watertown, MA 02472
                                            (617) 926-0491; Fax: (617) 926-9519
                                            http://der.org/docued
                                            email: DER.ORG
                                            Catalogue and study guides available.

                                            The Pennsylvania State University
                                            Audio Visual Service,
                                            Special Services Bldg.
                                            1127 Fox Hill Rd.
                                            University Park, PA 16803-1824
                                            (814) 865-6314
                                            Toll free: (800) 826-0132
                                            Fax: (814) 863-2574
                                            email: avsmedia@...
                                            http://www.libraries.psu.edu/mtss/
                                            Films and videos

                                            National Geographic Society
                                            Educational Services
                                            P. O. Box 98019 Washington, D.C. 20090
                                            (800) 368-2728
                                            http://www.nationalgeographic.com
                                            Educational Films catalogue

                                            The Archaeological Institute of America
                                            656 Beacon Street
                                            Boston, MA 02215
                                            (617) 353-9361; Fax: (617) 353-6550
                                            http://www.archaeological.org
                                            email: aia@...
                                            Archaeology on Film 2nd ed. 2002
                                            catalogue price: $9.98 Available from
                                            David Brown Book Co., (800) 791-9354.

                                            National Museum of the American Indian
                                            Film and Video Department
                                            Smithsonian Institution
                                            George Gustav Heye Center
                                            1 Bowling Green
                                            New York, NY 10004
                                            (212) 514-3737; Fax: (212) 514-3800
                                            email:fvc@...
                                            www.si.edu/nmai/
                                            Native Americans on Film and Video

                                            Shenandoah Film Productions
                                            538 G St.
                                            Arcata, CA 95521
                                            (707) 822-1030; Fax: (707) 822-1035
                                            email: shenfilm@...
                                            Native American Videos catalog.
                                            Indian-owned enterprise.

                                            PBS Video
                                            1320 Braddock Place
                                            Alexandria, VA 22314-1698
                                            (703) 739-5380; Fax: (703) 739-5269
                                            www/pbs.org
                                            Sale distribution of three parts of the 14-part Odyssey television film
                                            series: "Myths and Mounds," "Inca," and "Maya."

                                            For Japanese feature films, contact:

                                            Facets Video
                                            1571 West Fullerton Ave.
                                            Chicago, IL 60614
                                            Tel: (800) 331-6197
                                            www.facets.org

                                            Movies Unlimited
                                            3015 Darnell Road
                                            Philadelphia, PA 19154
                                            Tel: (800) 668-4344
                                            www.moviesunlimited.com

                                            Center for South Asia Area
                                            University of Wisconsin-Madison
                                            203 Ingraham Hall, 1155 Observatory Dr.
                                            Madison, WI 53706
                                            (608) 262-4884; Fax: (608) 265-3062
                                            www.wisc.edu/southasia/films/index.html
                                            email: info@...
                                            South Asia films.

                                            Films for the Humanities & Sciences
                                            PO Box 2053
                                            Princeton, NJ 08543-2053
                                            (800) 257-5126 or (609) 275-3767
                                            http://www.films.com
                                            email: custserv@...

                                            BFA Educational Media
                                            2349 Chaffee Dr.
                                            St. Louis, MO 63146
                                            (314) 569-0211

                                            Vision Maker Video
                                            P.O. Box 83111
                                            Lincoln, NE 68501
                                            (402) 472-3522
                                            Fax: (402) 472-8675
                                            www.visionmaker.org
                                            (Films with a Native American perspective)

                                            Alarion Press
                                            P.O. Box 1882
                                            Boulder, CO 80306-1882
                                            (303) 433-9039; (800) 523-9177
                                            Fax: (303) 443-9098
                                            History Through Art and Archaeology (free catalogue. Includes videos
                                            prepared by the Archaeological Institute of America.)

                                            V. FILMSTRIPS AND SLIDE SETS

                                            National Geographic Society
                                            Educational Services
                                            P. O. Box 98019
                                            Washington, D.C. 20090
                                            (800) 368-2728
                                            http://www.nationalgeographic.com
                                            Educational Services catalogue (free)

                                            Educational Images Limited
                                            P.O. Box 3456
                                            Westside Station
                                            Elmira, NY 14905-0456
                                            (607) 732-1090; (800) 527-4264
                                            Fax: (607) 732-1183
                                            www.educationalimages.com
                                            email: edimages@...
                                            Audio Visuals and Software for Creative Teaching (free catalogue)

                                            Pictures of Record
                                            119 Kettle Creek Rd.
                                            Weston, CT 06883
                                            (203) 227-3387; Fax: (203) 222-9673
                                            email: picturesofrecord@...
                                            www.picturesofrecord.com
                                            Archeological slide sets and digital images of major pre-Columbian
                                            archeological sites and artifacts. (free catalogue)

                                            American Museum of Natural History
                                            Department of Library Services-Special Collections
                                            Central Park West at 79th St.
                                            New York, NY 10024
                                            (212) 769-5400; Fax: (212) 769-5009
                                            email: libraryweb@...
                                            http://library.amnh.org/special/index.html
                                            Color slides on exhibit halls and dioramas; human evolution; and
                                            American Indian, Asian, African, Mesoamerican cultures and artifacts.

                                            >>> lloyd.miller@... 11/18/03 06:03PM >>>

                                            Frank Timmermans wrote:

                                            > > Re: [SACC-L] Lets Talk Videos
                                            > > Date:
                                            > > Tue, 4 Feb 2003 10:36:01 EST
                                            > > From:
                                            > > LJMil@...
                                            > > To:
                                            > > SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
                                            >
                                            > > I'll begin a "video" file of these ongoing conversations about
                                            classroom film and video. If someone can (re)send me the ones prior to
                                            today, I'll compile them all into a resource article for the next SACC
                                            NOTES. The timing is perfect, as I'm working on it now.

                                            > Dear Lloyd,
                                            >
                                            > I will be teaching an introductory cultural anthropology course in
                                            > winter for which I would like to use a lot of visual materials. I have
                                            > the video and accompanying book with excerpts by Heizer ("Seeing
                                            > anthropology", 2nd ed.), but otherwise I don't have a clue what is out
                                            > there.
                                            >
                                            > Would you be willing to give me some pointers?
                                            >
                                            > Thank you very much in advance.
                                            >
                                            > Cheers,
                                            >
                                            > Frank

                                            Ann Kaupp, Head