Re: [SACC-L] Lets Talk Videos

  • Deborah
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 31, 2003
      I am presently teaching my first introductory class in Cultural Anthropology.
      I have access to the Faces of Culture video series. Does anyone have comments
      about these videos? They were made in the 80's and revised in 1994.

      Deborah

    • David F. Lancy
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 31, 2003
        Is anyone interested in talking about "bad" media that distorts or
        misrepresents anthropology? I ran this "call" in AN:

        Have you ever had a visceral reaction to the treatment of anthropology while
        viewing a film or reading a textbook or using computer software? Are you
        concerned that the public, especially students, while getting a healthy dose
        of anthropology through modern media, may be simultaneously imbibing
        distorted notions of anthropology and science, generally? I'm organizing a
        session for AAA in Chicago around the, admittedly cumbersome title:
        "Critical analyses of 'Educational' media including textbooks, films,
        software and 'Edutainment'"

        David Lancy
      • anthropmor@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 31, 2003
          In a message dated 1/31/03 12:05:59 PM Central Standard Time, bmuckle@... writes:

          CHAMPIONS OF THE WILD SERIES. A recent (1998?)series of 28 minutes
          videos. The ones I show are Lemurs, Costa Rican Monkeys, Orangutans, and
          Gorillas.

          AMONG THE WILD CHIMPANZEES (90 minutes), focussing on the work

          as i mentioned in another strand, there are lots of good ones.
            "brothers keeper " is an excellent film, about the ward brothers - and it deals w/ a murder trial, and the urban rural continuum,
            if you want conservation about lemurs, there uis always the joh clees w/ the release of lemurs from the "nature" series.
          more ,later - mike pavlik
        • anthropmor@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 31, 2003
            In a message dated 1/31/03 12:22:34 PM Central Standard Time, missannas@... writes:

            am presently teaching my first introductory class in Cultural Anthropology.
            I have access to the Faces of Culture video series.  Does anyone have comments
            about these videos?  They were made in the 80's and revised in 1994.

            Deborah

            they are pretty good, overall - they  are in sync w/ the haviland textbook, i believe.  i use them in conjunction w/ my lecture topics, when applicable.
              they also have clips from many famous ethnographic films -= which i like to show  in their entirity.
              the hunters is one they have selections from.
            best wishes - mike pavlik
          • Robert Muckle
            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 3 3:55 PM
              Sometimes I use videos in my teaching more for comic relief than
              content.

              In an introductory archaeology class I often use a video clip of Steve
              Martin singing 'King Tut' from Saturday Night Live. Its hilarious. I use
              a version copied directly from a Saturday Night Live repeat, but I
              believe it can also be found on Saturday Night Live and Steve Martin
              video compilations. I would guess that if you googled it, you could
              probably even download a version.

              In an introductory biological anthropology class, I use a short video
              called 'Charles Darwin'. It is 11 minutes long and is in the Against
              The Odds Series from Films for the Humanities. I got mine from one of
              the textbook publishers (as a bonus for choosing their text, I think).
              It attempts to provide everthing you wanted to know about Darwin in 11
              minutes. The content isn't bad, but I use it because it has some
              deliberatley funny bits (at least I hope they were deliberately funny -
              like using what appears to be Barbie and Ken dolls to represent Adam and
              Eve.)

              Anybody else know of any funny bits which may be appropriate for
              classroom use?

              Bob Muckle
            • Dorothy Bruner
              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 4 6:03 AM
                I've been trying to find a film that I saw
                a year or two ago. It's from a Science Fiction Theater sequence. I think that it was originally a "home ec" film from the
                1950's. It's about a family getting ready for dinner. It is so dated, the students think that it is hilarious. It's a great
                example of culture change.
                There's also a great clip from the Monty Python film, "What did you do during the war. Daddy?" It has John Cleese with an
                interpreter somewhere in the Pacific.
                It's a great send up on using translators and good for a discussion about problems encountered doing fieldwork.

              • LJMil@aol.com
                Message 7 of 28 , Feb 4 7:36 AM
                  I'll begin a "video" file of these ongoing conversations about classroom film
                  and video. If someone can (re)send me the ones prior to today, I'll compile
                  them all into a resource article for the next SACC NOTES. The timing is
                  perfect, as I'm working on it now.
                  Lloyd
                • LAWolfe@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 28 , Feb 4 8:21 AM
                    <PRE>I'm a bit nervous about publicly disclosing (e.g. SACC Notes) the videos I
                    use in that I don't have proper legal access to use them. Having worked for
                    schools that typically had no budgets for videos, I've acquired my own
                    collection from taping things off of TV, making copies of other professors
                    collections as well as copies of things from libraries. Since I don't store
                    my collection on campus, I'm not particularly worried about getting caught.
                    Leanna Wolfe
                  • anthropmor@AOL.COM
                    Message 9 of 28 , Feb 4 10:05 AM
                      In a message dated 2/3/03 5:56:55 PM Central Standard Time, bmuckle@... writes:

                      In an introductory biological anthropology class, I use a short video
                      called 'Charles Darwin'.  It is 11 minutes long and is in the Against
                      The Odds Series from Films for the Humanities. I got mine from one of
                      the textbook publishers (as a bonus for choosing their text, I think).
                      It attempts to provide everthing you wanted to know about Darwin in 11
                      minutes. The content isn't bad, but I use it because it has some
                      deliberatley funny bits (at least I hope they were deliberately funny -
                      like using what appears to be Barbie and Ken dolls to represent Adam and
                      Eve.)

                      that sounds great!! what publisher is that from?
                      mike pavlik
                    • anthropmor@AOL.COM
                      Message 10 of 28 , Feb 4 10:11 AM
                        In a message dated 2/4/03 8:06:27 AM Central Standard Time, ddbruner@... writes:

                        I've been trying to find a film that I saw
                        a year or two ago.  It's from a Science Fiction Theater sequence. I think that it was originally a "home ec" film from the
                        1950's. It's about a family getting ready for dinner.  It is so dated, the students think that it is hilarious.  It's a great
                        example of culture change.

                        the film is called " a date with your family"  and was from encyclopedia britanica films, i believe. or possibly coronet films.  it was done on MST ( mystery science theatre) w/ jokes, but you can get several of those films from old libraries.
                          there are also dating etiquette films, marriage & family series - tons of them.
                        coronet films & e.b. films both worked out of chicago, so videofinders should be able to help.
                        best wishes - mike pavlik
                      • Robert Muckle
                        Message 11 of 28 , Feb 4 1:52 PM
                          Mike, and any others who are interested:

                          Wadsworth publishers provides videos from Films for the Humanities.

                          I got my Darwin video several years ago, but I see in a current
                          Wadsworth text I am using, under the section 'Supplements' it says
                          'Qualified adopters may select full-length videos from an extensive
                          library of offerings drawn from excellent educational video sources such
                          as
                          Films for the Humanities and Sciences.

                          >>> anthropmor@... 02/04/03 10:05AM >>>

                        • Tbbyrnehom@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 28 , Feb 4 3:39 PM
                            Hi Bob and all the other good SACC folks,  I believe that the video "Other Peoples Garbage" was part of a series done by The Odyssey Group out of Boston if I remember correctly.  I did some of the study guide.  One feature was to have the student alerted to watch for certain segments.  Many students responded very favorably to this.  There were several other tapes of the series that I thought were especially good.  Unfortunately the series was not continued for a second year.  The series from FAces of Culture took over soon after. I used them for several years in a TV College course out of Chicago City Colleges.  Unfortunately the unintended results is often to INCREASE the degree of ethnocentrism in the audience.
                            Maybe I have some notes on all of them at home but at present I am staying in Rhode Island until my marriage in April to a girlfriend of 45 years ago.  Still very happily retired but on occasional, after a few beers,  I do dump old lectures on friends.  Bill Byrne of SACC History.
                          • anthropmor@AOL.COM
                            Message 13 of 28 , Feb 4 9:11 PM
                              In a message dated 2/4/03 4:07:01 PM Central Standard Time, bmuckle@... writes:

                              I got my Darwin video several years ago, but I see in a current
                              Wadsworth text I am using, under the section 'Supplements' it says
                              'Qualified adopters may select full-length videos from an extensive
                              library of offerings drawn from excellent educational video sources such
                              as
                              Films for the Humanities and Sciences.

                              and, by the way - anyone looking for encyclopedia britannica or coronet films should conatct facets multimedia in chicago - which has a number of them, and is most likely to have a good archive.
                                john calloway did a report on these films a year or two ago, on wttw in chicago - on the chicago stories series.
                              you might be able to get that at pbs.org
                              thanks for the wadsworth reference - they've sent me cnn vidoes before to use w/ texts.  they are usually helpful.
                              best wishes -= mike pavlik
                            • Dianne.Chidester@kctcs.edu
                              Message 14 of 28 , Feb 7 9:44 AM
                                A video I like is "American Tongues."  (Some of you may remember a discussion at the reception in Seattle when some of us were able to quote from the film.)  It is about American dialects but it really gets students to use an etic view when it comes to "us."  One of my Japanese students, however, complained that the government needs to teach Americans to speak the same language!

                                For my intro to archaeology class I use Harold D. Juli's outline found in "Strategies in Teaching Anthropology" 2nd edited by Rice & McCurdy.    In "the Illegal Antiquities Trade, Looting, and Archaeological Ethics" (p. 30), he uses the first 15 minutes of "Raiders of the Lost Ark."  After viewing, I ask the students what they learn about archaeology from this film.  It really gets them going.

                                Dianne Lynn Chidester, M.A.
                                Assistant Professor
                                Anthropology & Sociology
                                Jefferson Community College SW
                                1000 Community College Dr
                                Louisville, KY  40272

                                (502) 213-7354
                              • anthropmor@AOL.COM
                                Message 15 of 28 , Feb 7 2:42 PM
                                  btw, did i mention the film "the language you cry in?" its very good - hits many topics & is really an emotive piece.
                                  best wishes - mike pavlik
                                • Frank Timmermans
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                                    > Re: [SACC-L] Lets Talk Videos
                                    > Date:
                                    > Tue, 4 Feb 2003 10:36:01 EST
                                    > From:
                                    > LJMil@...
                                    > To:
                                    > SACC-L@yahoogroups.com

                                    > I'll begin a "video" file of these ongoing conversations about classroom film and video. If someone can (re)send me the ones prior to today, I'll compile them all into a resource article for the next SACC NOTES. The timing is perfect, as I'm working on it now.

                                    Dear Lloyd,

                                    I will be teaching an introductory cultural anthropology course in
                                    winter for which I would like to use a lot of visual materials. I have
                                    the video and accompanying book with excerpts by Heizer ("Seeing
                                    anthropology", 2nd ed.), but otherwise I don't have a clue what is out
                                    there.

                                    Would you be willing to give me some pointers?

                                    Thank you very much in advance.

                                    Cheers,

                                    Frank
                                  • Chidester, Dianne (Jefferson)
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                                      Heider's book is now in the 3rd edition. -- Dianne

                                      > I'll begin a "video" file of these ongoing conversations about
                                      classroom film and video. If someone can (re)send me the ones prior to
                                      today, I'll compile them all into a resource article for the next SACC
                                      NOTES. The timing is perfect, as I'm working on it now.

                                      Dear Lloyd,

                                      I will be teaching an introductory cultural anthropology course in
                                      winter for which I would like to use a lot of visual materials. I have
                                      the video and accompanying book with excerpts by Heizer ("Seeing
                                      anthropology", 2nd ed.), but otherwise I don't have a clue what is out
                                      there.

                                      Would you be willing to give me some pointers?

                                      Thank you very much in advance.

                                      Cheers,

                                      Frank

                                      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                    • Dorothy Davis
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                                        Yeh, I've got it. but I'm still using #2.

                                        http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                                        http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/1MXolB/TM

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                                          Dear Frank,

                                          I've been retired from teaching for three years and thus my knowledge of video and visual materials is quite dated. Dianne Chidester (with whom you've already corresponded on the SACC ListServ) might be a good source. She wrote the instructor's manual and student
                                          guide for Heider's SEEING ANTHROPOLOGY, 1st ed and maybe the 2nd.

                                          If I were going to teach again, I'd get a catalog of (U.S.) Public TV programs. They usually offer programs they've aired for sale on videotape (probably now on DVD also) for reasonable prices. Also the U. of California, Berkeley has an extensive catalog of video
                                          materials for anthropology and other social sciences.

                                          Sorry I can't remember more. Best of luck!

                                          Sincerely,

                                          Lloyd

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                                            Heider & Hermer have also published an extensive listing of ethnographic
                                            films. It's called "Films for Anthropological Teaching." I think the
                                            most recent edition is 1995, so I know there are lots more there. Also,
                                            check the sources in "Seeing Anthropology." Heider lists several of the
                                            film companies and I'm sure they'll be more than happy to send you their
                                            lists!

                                            I agree with Lloyd Miller about using Public TV programs, too. I've
                                            found many of them to be quite good. I also have to admit that I've
                                            paid attention to some of the films and film clips used in the anthro
                                            and soc telecourses, too (e.g., "Faces of Culture").

                                            Happy Hunting!
                                            Dianne

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                                              While I always recommend "The Language You Cry In" - I believe a 2000 release, there are many fine old and new releases.
                                              Is there somerthing more specific abou the videos you are looking for?
                                              For example, "The Language You Cry In" would fit for the topics of Africa, African americans, ethnomusicology, and colonialism.
                                              "Man of Aran" is more of a historical document about early ethnographic film attempts, although still nifty in parts.
                                              ( Europe -Ireland, peasnat societies,North Atlantic fishing traditions).
                                              Best Wishes- Mike Pavlik
                                            • anthropmor@AOL.COM
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                                                In a message dated 11/18/2003 6:03:41 PM Eastern Standard Time, lloyd.miller@... writes:

                                                > If I were going to teach again, I'd get a catalog of (U.S.)
                                                > Public TV programs. They usually offer
                                                You can check out Nova & other shows at PBS.org.
                                                An excellent collection of shows -most available for purchase - someone at your library or media services probably allready has the ordering info.
                                                Best Wishes - Mike Pavlik
                                              • anthropmor@AOL.COM
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                                                  In a message dated 11/18/2003 6:11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time, Dianne.Chidester@... writes:

                                                  > paid attention to some of the films and film clips used in
                                                  > the anthro
                                                  > and soc telecourses, too (e.g., "Faces of Culture").
                                                  If youre at the meetings, or any meetings with publishers- ask them about video supplements. You probably qualify for those, and they will send them to you gratis.
                                                  They should with the obscene prices of textbooks.
                                                  Best Mike Pavlik
                                                • Robert Muckle
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                                                    An excellent video when dealing with assertions of aboriginal rights in
                                                    BLOCKADE, which focuses on rail and road blockades by a First Nation in
                                                    British Columbia. It is a very powerful film, which includes behind the
                                                    scenes strategizing sessions. The director/producer is Nettie Wild (who
                                                    also did A PLACE CALLED CHIAPIS). It is available from the National Film
                                                    Board in Canada. The film is 90 minutes.

                                                    Hugh Brody is a wonderful anthropologist/filmaker who has specialized
                                                    in ethnographic research and filming in northern Canada. One of my
                                                    favourites of his films is TREATY 8 COUNTRY, which focusses on a
                                                    Dunne-za summer hunting camp. It covers the same people he studied in
                                                    his book Maps and Dreams. There is no narration, just 45 minutes of good
                                                    film. Students stay focussed.

                                                    I also like Babakiueria. It is a 30 minute production out of Australia,
                                                    satirizing anthropology and 'white people.'
                                                    The title 'Babakiueria' is taken from 'Barbeque Area', which is how the
                                                    white people respond to the question by Australian aborigines when they
                                                    are asked 'What do you call this area?).

                                                    Bob Muckle
                                                  • Chidester, Dianne (Jefferson)
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Nov 19, 2003
                                                      Also, the PBS website often has quite good teaching materials to go
                                                      along with their shows. -- Dianne

                                                      lloyd.miller@... writes:

                                                      > If I were going to teach again, I'd get a catalog of (U.S.)
                                                      > Public TV programs. They usually offer
                                                      You can check out Nova & other shows at PBS.org.
                                                      An excellent collection of shows -most available for purchase - someone
                                                      at your library or media services probably allready has the ordering
                                                      info.
                                                      Best Wishes - Mike Pavlik

                                                      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                                    • Ann Kaupp
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Nov 19, 2003
                                                        This information on film and video sources is from a leaflet that the
                                                        Smithsonian's Anthropology Outreach Offices distributes:

                                                        IV. ANTHROPOLOGICAL FILM RESOURCES:

                                                        UC Berkeley Extension
                                                        Center for Media and Independent Learning
                                                        2000 Center St. 4th Floor
                                                        Berkeley, CA 94704
                                                        (510) 642-0460; Fax: (510) 642-4124
                                                        email: askcmil@...
                                                        Anthropology and archeology film catalogues.

                                                        Documentary Educational Resources
                                                        101 Morse St.
                                                        Watertown, MA 02472
                                                        (617) 926-0491; Fax: (617) 926-9519
                                                        http://der.org/docued
                                                        email: DER.ORG
                                                        Catalogue and study guides available.

                                                        The Pennsylvania State University
                                                        Audio Visual Service,
                                                        Special Services Bldg.
                                                        1127 Fox Hill Rd.
                                                        University Park, PA 16803-1824
                                                        (814) 865-6314
                                                        Toll free: (800) 826-0132
                                                        Fax: (814) 863-2574
                                                        email: avsmedia@...
                                                        http://www.libraries.psu.edu/mtss/
                                                        Films and videos

                                                        National Geographic Society
                                                        Educational Services
                                                        P. O. Box 98019 Washington, D.C. 20090
                                                        (800) 368-2728
                                                        http://www.nationalgeographic.com
                                                        Educational Films catalogue

                                                        The Archaeological Institute of America
                                                        656 Beacon Street
                                                        Boston, MA 02215
                                                        (617) 353-9361; Fax: (617) 353-6550
                                                        http://www.archaeological.org
                                                        email: aia@...
                                                        Archaeology on Film 2nd ed. 2002
                                                        catalogue price: $9.98 Available from
                                                        David Brown Book Co., (800) 791-9354.

                                                        National Museum of the American Indian
                                                        Film and Video Department
                                                        Smithsonian Institution
                                                        George Gustav Heye Center
                                                        1 Bowling Green
                                                        New York, NY 10004
                                                        (212) 514-3737; Fax: (212) 514-3800
                                                        email:fvc@...
                                                        www.si.edu/nmai/
                                                        Native Americans on Film and Video

                                                        Shenandoah Film Productions
                                                        538 G St.
                                                        Arcata, CA 95521
                                                        (707) 822-1030; Fax: (707) 822-1035
                                                        email: shenfilm@...
                                                        Native American Videos catalog.
                                                        Indian-owned enterprise.

                                                        PBS Video
                                                        1320 Braddock Place
                                                        Alexandria, VA 22314-1698
                                                        (703) 739-5380; Fax: (703) 739-5269
                                                        www/pbs.org
                                                        Sale distribution of three parts of the 14-part Odyssey television film
                                                        series: "Myths and Mounds," "Inca," and "Maya."

                                                        For Japanese feature films, contact:

                                                        Facets Video
                                                        1571 West Fullerton Ave.
                                                        Chicago, IL 60614
                                                        Tel: (800) 331-6197
                                                        www.facets.org

                                                        Movies Unlimited
                                                        3015 Darnell Road
                                                        Philadelphia, PA 19154
                                                        Tel: (800) 668-4344
                                                        www.moviesunlimited.com

                                                        Center for South Asia Area
                                                        University of Wisconsin-Madison
                                                        203 Ingraham Hall, 1155 Observatory Dr.
                                                        Madison, WI 53706
                                                        (608) 262-4884; Fax: (608) 265-3062
                                                        www.wisc.edu/southasia/films/index.html
                                                        email: info@...
                                                        South Asia films.

                                                        Films for the Humanities & Sciences
                                                        PO Box 2053
                                                        Princeton, NJ 08543-2053
                                                        (800) 257-5126 or (609) 275-3767
                                                        http://www.films.com
                                                        email: custserv@...

                                                        BFA Educational Media
                                                        2349 Chaffee Dr.
                                                        St. Louis, MO 63146
                                                        (314) 569-0211

                                                        Vision Maker Video
                                                        P.O. Box 83111
                                                        Lincoln, NE 68501
                                                        (402) 472-3522
                                                        Fax: (402) 472-8675
                                                        www.visionmaker.org
                                                        (Films with a Native American perspective)

                                                        Alarion Press
                                                        P.O. Box 1882
                                                        Boulder, CO 80306-1882
                                                        (303) 433-9039; (800) 523-9177
                                                        Fax: (303) 443-9098
                                                        History Through Art and Archaeology (free catalogue. Includes videos
                                                        prepared by the Archaeological Institute of America.)

                                                        V. FILMSTRIPS AND SLIDE SETS

                                                        National Geographic Society
                                                        Educational Services
                                                        P. O. Box 98019
                                                        Washington, D.C. 20090
                                                        (800) 368-2728
                                                        http://www.nationalgeographic.com
                                                        Educational Services catalogue (free)

                                                        Educational Images Limited
                                                        P.O. Box 3456
                                                        Westside Station
                                                        Elmira, NY 14905-0456
                                                        (607) 732-1090; (800) 527-4264
                                                        Fax: (607) 732-1183
                                                        www.educationalimages.com
                                                        email: edimages@...
                                                        Audio Visuals and Software for Creative Teaching (free catalogue)

                                                        Pictures of Record
                                                        119 Kettle Creek Rd.
                                                        Weston, CT 06883
                                                        (203) 227-3387; Fax: (203) 222-9673
                                                        email: picturesofrecord@...
                                                        www.picturesofrecord.com
                                                        Archeological slide sets and digital images of major pre-Columbian
                                                        archeological sites and artifacts. (free catalogue)

                                                        American Museum of Natural History
                                                        Department of Library Services-Special Collections
                                                        Central Park West at 79th St.
                                                        New York, NY 10024
                                                        (212) 769-5400; Fax: (212) 769-5009
                                                        email: libraryweb@...
                                                        http://library.amnh.org/special/index.html
                                                        Color slides on exhibit halls and dioramas; human evolution; and
                                                        American Indian, Asian, African, Mesoamerican cultures and artifacts.

                                                        >>> lloyd.miller@... 11/18/03 06:03PM >>>

                                                        Frank Timmermans wrote:

                                                        > > Re: [SACC-L] Lets Talk Videos
                                                        > > Date:
                                                        > > Tue, 4 Feb 2003 10:36:01 EST
                                                        > > From:
                                                        > > LJMil@...
                                                        > > To:
                                                        > > SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
                                                        >
                                                        > > I'll begin a "video" file of these ongoing conversations about
                                                        classroom film and video. If someone can (re)send me the ones prior to
                                                        today, I'll compile them all into a resource article for the next SACC
                                                        NOTES. The timing is perfect, as I'm working on it now.

                                                        > Dear Lloyd,
                                                        >
                                                        > I will be teaching an introductory cultural anthropology course in
                                                        > winter for which I would like to use a lot of visual materials. I have
                                                        > the video and accompanying book with excerpts by Heizer ("Seeing
                                                        > anthropology", 2nd ed.), but otherwise I don't have a clue what is out
                                                        > there.
                                                        >
                                                        > Would you be willing to give me some pointers?
                                                        >
                                                        > Thank you very much in advance.
                                                        >
                                                        > Cheers,
                                                        >
                                                        > Frank

                                                        Ann Kaupp, Head