Re: [SACC-L] FW:

  • Deborah
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 22, 2003
      Thank you

      "Lewine, Mark" wrote:

      Two reasons that I sent this along, in answer to your question:
      1. I thought that the writer’s point was a very powerful use of cultural relativity applied to current issues.  I not only planned to use it in my classes, but thought it was good enough to share.  Horace Miner’s look at the Nacirema is getting dated, don’t you think?
      2. Most of us in community colleges are not prone to work or think in limited specialized niches; it is in university departments that we get that kind of value for and practice of specialization-even to a particularly dominant field of anthropology.  Most of us teach course in sociology, urban studies, and tend to apply anthropology to the world of work, of community, of world events.  In fact, many of my students face being called up or having a family member called up to the military and need to engage these issues.

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 16, 2005
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 20, 2010