Re: [SACC-L] Grading, Changing Grades and Ethics

  • anthropmor@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 13, 2002
      In a message dated 12/13/02 4:41:42 PM Central Standard Time, bmuckle@... writes:

      My experience is that some universities track the gpa's of students
      transferring from community colleges. They are essentially
      checking for grade inflation at the colleges (and in some cases
      factor this into their admission practices). So...be careful, it may
      be doing harm for your future students as well as the reputation of
      your department and college.

      Bob Muckle

      excellent comment, bob.
      mike pavlik
    • Phil & Carol Stein
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 13, 2002
        Leanna,

        I don't what term to use for the opposite of a mitzvah, but this is a situation that requires such a word. Students have to
        learn to accept their own responsibility. It's a simple lesson in cause and effect--you don't study, do the assignments,
        attend class, etc., etc., you don't get the "A". I don't even permit students to bring up any factors not related to their
        class performance in any discussion--I cut them off and explain why. It's not that I'm insensitive to their situations, but it
        is unethical to take anything other than class performance into account when assigning a grade. As you say, a grade is a
        grade!!!

        Phil

      • LAWolfe@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 14, 2002
          Thanks to everyone for your reflections. Phil, one of the students in
          question was "S" who has followed me around at the various campuses I teach
          (I'm a freeway flyer) to continue having me as her instructor. She claimed
          that since she'd received an A in the latter classes she'd taken from me that
          I should consider changing the first grade I gave her (a B) since that class
          almost got cancelled (so morale was low) and no one in that class received an
          A.

          Since so many students have approached me with such impunity around grade
          changing for circumstances quite apart from their actual performance in
          class, I'm wondering how often they actually succeed! Or has college
          culture changed????

          About a year ago I had a student who had otherwise been an enthusiastic class
          participant send me a series of character-threatening emails regarding my
          unwillingness to change her earned B to the A she believed she deserved.

          When I was a student I never dreamed of engaging in such behavior. In my
          first year of college I was pretty clueless about how to read/study. I'd
          attempt to read books cover to cover with no sense of theme -- main points --
          theoretical positions and I routinely got C's. Eventually I figured out how
          to study and finished college with much better grades. I do everything I can
          with my students to prevent them from falling into the rut I did with
          preparatory quizzes, focussed discussion, and study sheets.

          Right now I'm pursuing a mid-career PhD and initially was a bit non-plussed
          to find out that my school does everything on a pass/fail basis. Part of me
          wanted big fat A's on my work...and then soon I settled into thoughtful
          discussions with my professors on papers and projects. I wish we could do
          more of that with community college students....

          Leanna