FW: Act for Ohio science standards (fwd)

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2002
      From: Steven A. Edinger [mailto:steven.edinger.1@...]
      Sent: Friday, December 06, 2002 12:40 AM
      To: Science Education List Serve
      Subject: Act for Ohio science standards (fwd)

      ---------- Forwarded Message ----------
      Date: Thursday, December 05, 2002 2:44 PM -0800
      From: Skip Evans <evans@...>
      To: evans@...
      Subject: Act for Ohio science standards

      Act Today!
      to ensure good science education in Ohio!

      Here is an action everyone (in & out of state) can take today.

      Phillip Johnson (inventor of the Intelligent Design movement, the
      successor to the "creation-science" movement) said in an interview just
      published that the ID creationists got exactly what they wanted in
      Ohio's science standards.

      Act now before the final OBE vote on Tues Dec 10!

      Print out the Johnson quote below & fax it to Gov Taft and the Dept of
      Education (and if you're up for it, all the board of ed members & the
      Ohio Academy of Sciences -see below for numbers), along with
      a very SHORT note saying something to the effect that Grade 10 Life
      Science indicator 23 and associated benchmark language MUST BE REMOVED!

      If we insist on protecting the very best interests of the state & our
      kids, we'll settle for no less than complete removal. We need to send
      the Governor our clearest, strongest message & Phil Johnson just gave
      us a GREAT way to make our point!

      You don't need to give further reasons (Johnson's quote says it all),
      but a good one is that Taft's "3rd Frontier" project WILL fail
      if this language stays in --because Taft will be sending out the message
      that Ohio really does not care about science education. It's that simple.
      No Science/Tech company wants to come into a state that
      panders to creationists.

      [Quote from interview with Johnson]

      "What does Ohio's decision on science requirements mean for the
      Intelligent Design Movement?"

      " The recent decision of the Ohio Science Standards Committee of the
      State School Board has been a big breakthrough. [Critics] are calling
      it a compromise, but it isn't. It's our position."

      [End Quote] For full text, see
      http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2002/147/22.0.html

      FAX Numbers:
      Bob Taft: 614-752-4858
      Dept of Education FAX numbers: 614-995-3729 & 614-752-3956
      Ohio Academy of Sciences FAX 614-488-7629
      For Board member faxes see web page http://www.ode.state.oh.us/board/
      or www.ohioscience.org

      If you absolutely cannot fax, you can email feedback through
      the Dept of Ed web page http://www.ode.state.oh.us/
      & to Dr. Susan Tave Zelman via contact.center@...
      & to Gov Taft at Governor.Taft@...

      You can also send by post (letterhead is good) or overnight mail, but it
      needs to arrive no later than Mon Dec 9

      Susan Tave Zelman
      Superintendent of Public Instruction
      7th floor, 25 South Front Street
      Columbus, Ohio 43215-4183 USA
      FAX: 614-752-3956

      Governor Bob Taft
      30th Floor
      77 South High Street
      Columbus, Ohio 43215-6117
      FAX: 614-752-4858

      FAX Numbers:
      Bob Taft FAX: 614-752-4858
      Dept of Education FAX numbers: 614-995-3729 & 614-752-3956
      Ohio Academy of Sciences FAX 614-488-7629
      For Board member faxes see web page http://www.ode.state.oh.us/board/
      or www.ohioscience.org

      Skip Evans
      Network Project Director
      National Center for Science Education
      420 40th St, Suite 2
      Oakland, CA 94609
      510-601-7203 Ext. 308
      510-601-7204 (fax)
      800-290-6006
      evans@...
      http://www.ncseweb.org

      NCSE now has a one way broadcast news list. Please note that
      this is NOT a discussion list. You cannot post messages for members
      to receive. We use this list to broadcast news about the
      creationism/evolution issue to interested parties.

      To sign up send:
      subscribe ncse your@...
      to: majordomo@...

      To unsubscribe send:
      to: majordomo@...

      Please see the Ohio Citizens for Science's web page at:

      http://ecology.cwru.edu/ohioscience/

      "It has been my experience that folks who have no
      vices have very few virtues." Abraham Lincoln

      "The first human being who hurled an insult instead of
      a stone was the founder of civilization." Sigmund Freud

      "Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of
      evolution." Theodosius Dobzhansky, 1973

      Steven A. Edinger, Physiology Lab Instructor

      064 Irvine Hall
      Department of Biological Sciences steven.edinger.1@...
      Ohio University Office: (740) 593-9484
      Athens, Ohio 45701-2979 Fax: (740) 593-0300