Re: [SACC-L] Anthropologists and(Socio- Economic) class ?

  • balzano, anthony
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 2002
      For the purposes of most discussions socio-economic class and socio-economic stratification are synonomous. What contributes to its continutation? Is this a trick question? Hello?! How about violence, propaganda, false conscienceness, cultural genocide? Aside from the classics by Karl Marx and Max Weber, I have undergraduates (in Anthropological Perspectives on Class and Culture) read parts of Eric Wolf's Europe and the People Without History, and Noam Chomsky's Manufacuturing Consent. Chomsky has a large body of accessible work about class issues. But also Andre Gunder Frank and Immanual Wallerstein are seminal works. And, methinks, all students should have a taste of Howard Zinn's A People's History of the U.S. Most importantly, you really can't discuss stratification in the U.S. without discussing race and gender. On race, Theodore Allen's The Invention of the White Race is an example of many good anthropological works on the cultural construction of race. Similarly, gender stratification must be addresses to understand socioeconmic stratification. Here there are many good readings on the role of partriarchy, male privilege, and the exploitation of female labor. One good example for undergrads that I have used in Karen Bonvillains' Men and Women. Ethnographies I have used include Stack's All Our Kin, von Graeve's The Pacaa Nova, Chinas' La Zandunga. There are many more very good studies from the British school and from the '60's but I'm off to class now.
      Regards, Tony Balzano

      >>> ann.popplestone@... 12/05/02 02:25PM >>>
      A now-retired colleague in history asked what works anthropologists consider seminal pieces on class. All you cultural folks: how distinct is that from stratification, and other than surplus, what factors make it possible and contribute to it's continuation?

      Thanks!

      Ann Popplestone

      CCC Metro TLC