Re: [SACC-L] FW: Act for Ohio science standards

  • Don Whatley
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 2002
      If you're going to fax Johnson's quote why not include all of it?

      "The recent decision of the Ohio Science Standards Committee of the State School Board has been a big breakthrough. [Critics] are calling it a compromise, but it isn't. It's our position. It allows teachers to present evidence against the theory of evolution. This evidence includes the facts that the drawings of embryos in the textbooks are fraudulent and that the peppered moth experiment was botched if not an outright hoax."

      If we are searching for truth what is wrong with exposing frauds?  Anyone who takes the time to objectively examine the evidence for evolutionary theory will find some serious errors, fallacies, and outright fabrications.  Creationists have been justly criticized for basing their theories on blind faith instead of science.  Intelligent Design theory offers a scientific framework for examining evidence that indicates this world is not the product of random chance and mutations.  ID doesn't try to identify the intelligence behind the design merely that it exists.  It could be a supernatural god or supertechnological  aliens.

      To presume that one person or group has all of the answers is the height of arrogance.  A careful consideration and examination of all points of view will eventually lead to the truth or at least a consensus.  Where is the threat or danger in that?  I wonder how many people base their objections to ID theory on what others have told them instead of actually reading the literature and making an informed decision on their own.  I suspect that most are relying on others to their reading and thinking for them.  And you call that science?

      Don Whatley
      Blinn College