Re: [SACC-L] Electronic vodun?

  • balzano, anthony
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 2002
      This is quite a rant by someone who has read a couple of introductory pieces on Haitian culture. A little bit of knowledge can be dangerous (I think Eric Hoffer, the philosopher, said that). The connections between voudou and cyberspace are gratuitous, at best, and let's remember, only to tell a fanciful story. It all sort of ignores the realities of the lives of Haitians who rely on their beleifs to heal and to offer solace. The connections made between raves and veves are just donwright wacky/ridiculous. Now, certainly, all human endeavors are covered by the voudou worldview, including computers. Ogu, the god of iron, is usually associated with the proper operation of computers. And, Legba, god of the crossroads, may be associated with the opening up of cyberspace. Beyond this, the peice seems not much more than literary poop. Interesting that this should come out of Florida International.
      --Your humble servant (before the gods), Tony Balzano

      >>> ann.popplestone@... 12/02/02 09:07PM >>>
      Anybody out there have any thoughts about this piece? (Are you out there, Tony?)

      http://www.fiu.edu/~mizrachs/Ghost_in_the_Machine_.html

      Ann Popplestone

      CCC Metro TLC
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 3, 2002
        I thought that it all seemed a bit fishy, but this physical anthropologist appreciates an expert's confirmation.