FW: 9/30/2002 Daily Report from The Chronicle of Higher Education

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2002
      From: The Chronicle [mailto:daily@...]
      Sent: Monday, September 30, 2002 5:00 AM
      To: Chronicle Daily Report
      Subject: 9/30/2002 Daily Report from The Chronicle of Higher Education

      ACADEME TODAY: The Chronicle of Higher Education's
      Daily Report for subscribers

      Good day!

      Here are news bulletins from The Chronicle of Higher Education
      for Monday, September 30.

      * [snip]

      CAREER NETWORK

      * JILL CARROLL OFFERS A PRIMER on how to get started teaching
      as an adjunct.
      --> SEE http://chronicle.com/jobs/2002/09/2002093001c.htm

      --> FOR THOUSANDS OF JOBS, and more help with your career, see
      http://chronicle.com/jobs

      LIVE DISCUSSION: ELITE VISION FOR COMMUNITY COLLEGES

      Can community colleges promote a more elite vision without
      sacrificing their commitment to low-income students? Join us for
      a live discussion of this topic on Tuesday. You can submit your
      questions and comments now.
      --> SEE http://chronicle.com/colloquylive/2002/10/elite/
      [snip]

      MAGAZINES & JOURNALS

      A glance at the September issue of "American Anthropologist":
      Do Afghan women need rescuing?

      Lila Abu-Lughod, a professor of anthropology at Columbia
      University, offers several caveats to the Bush administration's
      "war on terrorism" as it applies to the purported "rescue" of
      Muslim women oppressed by the former Taliban regime.

      The war, which "justifies itself by purporting to liberate, or
      save, Afghan ... 'women of cover' (as President George Bush so
      marvelously called them)," is a problematic approach informed by
      dubious motives, Ms. Abu-Lughod writes. "Can we only free Afghan
      women to be like us, or might we have to recognize that even
      after 'liberation' from the Taliban, they might want different
      things than we would want for them? What do we do about that?"
      she asks. "Second," she warns, "we need to be vigilant about the
      rhetoric of saving people because of what it implies about our
      attitudes."

      Instead of trumpeting such paternalistic notions of salvation,
      Ms. Abu-Lughod writes, a better first step would be "to break
      with the language of alien cultures, whether to understand or
      eliminate them. Missionary work and colonial feminism belong in
      the past."

      "Our task," she concludes, "is to critically explore what we
      might do to help create a world in which those poor Afghan
      women, for whom 'the hearts of those in the civilized world
      break,' can have safety and decent lives."

      The article is not available online, but information about the
      journal may be found at http://www.aaanet.org/aa

      ======================== ADVERTISEMENT ========================
      Going to EDUCAUSE 2002?Ý Be sure to visit WebCT's booth and
      experience demos of the most popular course management system --
      WebCT Campus Edition -- as well as the industry's first academic
      enterprise system -- WebCT Vista. Visit http://www.webct.com
      to learn more about our solutions!

      You'll find The Chronicle's home page at:

      http://chronicle.com

      If you want to change the address at which you receive this
      e-mail message, change which messages you receive, change
      your login name or password, or make other changes in your
      account information, you can do so online at:
      http://chronicle.com/services

      If you have other problems or questions, please send a message
      to:
      help@...

      Copyright (c) 2002 The Chronicle of Higher Education, Inc.