RE: [SACC-L] Update on Evolution Vote in Marietta, GA

  • Dianne.Chidester@kctcs.edu
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002
      BTW, Dorothy Davis edited a reader: "Readings in Non-Western Cultures"
      which is excellent.

      Dianne Lynn Chidester, M.A.
      Assistant Professor
      Anthropology & Sociology
      Jefferson Community College SW
      1000 Community College Dr
      Louisville, KY 40272

      (502) 213-7354

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 4, 2002
        ANTHROPOLOGY CURRICULUM FOR GRADES 9-12

        Anthropology. 2000. Gene Boteler and Mary Boteler. The Center for
        Learning. 259 pp.

        This curriculum is written by two former participants of the Smithsonian
        Institution/George Washington University Anthropology for Teachers Program
        who teach anthropology at the high school level. The authors have designed
        this spiral-bound manual as a primary teaching tool or supplementary
        resource.

        Anthropology is organized into five parts. Part 1: "Studying the Human
        Story" introduces students to the study and fields of anthropology.
        Students conduct an anthropological study of their fellow high school
        students, determine what objects can tell us about culture, gain a
        perspective of the concept of time, and learn how natural selection works
        within nature.

        Part 2: "Humanity's Closest Relatives" explores the origins of human
        physiology and behavior by focusing on the primates. Part 3: "Human
        Beginnings" explains how biological anthropology determines what makes us
        human. This section covers the fossil evidence, mitrochondrial DNA studies
        and migration theories, and genetics.

        Part 4: "Hallmarks and Touchstones of Culture" demonstrates the variety of
        the human condition and explores such topics as cultural change, kinship,
        gender roles, marriage, economic activities, environment, warfare, and more.
        Part 5: "Expressions of Culture" focuses on taboos, religion, language,
        art, potlatch, sports, and a Yanomamo case study.

        This curriculum contains 40 creative lesson plans and 80 handouts. While
        it is geared for grades 9-12, it easily can be adapted for lower grades.
        The authors have made suggestions on handling such potentially sensitive or
        controversial topics as evolution and religion. While this book is an
        excellent text for anthropology, it also would be a valuable supplement for
        teaching classes on biology, history, world cultures, math, social studies,
        and art.

        Order from: The Center for Learning, PO Box 910, Villa Maria, PA 16155;
        (724) 964-8083; (800) 767-9090; www.centerforlearning.org. The book is
        listed under senior high electives on the web site.

        (Originally published in the winter/spring 1999-2000 issue of AnthroNotes)

        >>> LJMil@... 09/30/02 11:44AM >>>
        Dear Robin,

        We've corresponded before on anthropology in high schools and I was one of

        those who suggested some books to you. I totally agree with you that
        anthropology desperately needs to be offered in the high schools. However,
        doubt that any suitable textbook will be written in the near future.

        Instead, I would recommend that a teacher combine straight-forward
        classroom
        discussions with selected articles written for the lay public. In recent
        years, ANNUAL EDITIONS (among other publishers) have culled interesting,
        plain-language articles from magazines like NATURE, DISCOVER and
        SMITHSONIAN.
        In my comm. college classes (before retiring), I often used one good
        article
        as a spring board to discuss various anthropological topics. Students
        almost
        always came alive, asked more questions and showed more interest with this

        technique than with others.

        Also, many of the "just regular" high school students you mention attend
        community colleges. Most seem to show genuine interest in the
        anthropologically relevant current issues in spite of the reading and
        writing
        skills they might lack. This has led me to believe that rather than trying

        to teach anthropology courses in high school (we've tried for years and
        generally failed), we should try to teach the "stuff" of anthropology.

        For example, what if we created a unit in some general social studies
        curriculum on "human diversity" (we could even call it something like "Why

        People Do What They Do"). In this, we could focus discussion on
        issue-oriented matters like evolution (call it something else), race,
        culture, etc. Almost any of today's news headlines could provide a
        backdrop
        for these and many more anthropological topics.

        I'm often amazed at how many people have anthropological knowledge and
        perspective and may have never taken an anthropology course. I recently
        attended the annual AARP Conference in San Diego and heard two of the
        keynote
        speakers—actors Edward James Olmos and James Earl Jones—deliver
        lectures (on
        the topics of "race" and "culture," respectively) that belonged in an
        anthro
        101 textbook. Their audience, of course, were people 50 yrs. old plus,
        many
        of whom probably never went to college. Nevertheless, both talks were
        frequently interrupted by applause at statements that for us were either
        anthropological truisms or reasoned conclusions based on anthropological
        facts and knowledge. Both speakers received standing ovations, and—the
        actors' obvious charisma aside—certainly some of the applause was in
        appreciation of the anthropological content and perspective they provided.

        I think that anthropology's legacy for the future will be its perspective,

        its way of seeing and thinking about the world and human beings. I think
        (as
        the current case in Georgia has shown) that this perspective needs to be
        infused into the K-12 curriculum, at all levels, under whatever label and
        in
        whatever ways it can.

        (Sorry for rambling on. As you know, retirees have more time...)

        Sincerely,

        Lloyd Miller