Re: [SACC-L] Update on Evolution Vote in Marietta, GA

  • Dorothy D. Bruner
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002
      Have you considered a custom publisher? There are plenty out there.
      It's not that hard to make up your own text. The most difficult part is
      to find good, cheap articles, but they are out there.

      Dorothy Davis
      Department of Anthropology
      UNCG
      336-256-1099
    • robin-ann@att.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002
        Dorothy,

        Thanks for the idea of a custom publisher, there are some in the Austin area.
        Can you tell me something about finding pictures that are public domain and I
        could use...or are public domain pictures not allowed for a for profit
        publication?

        Thanks, I'll keep you posted.
        Robin Matthews 512.444.6083

      • Dianne.Chidester@kctcs.edu
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002
          BTW, Dorothy Davis edited a reader: "Readings in Non-Western Cultures"
          which is excellent.

          Dianne Lynn Chidester, M.A.
          Assistant Professor
          Anthropology & Sociology
          Jefferson Community College SW
          1000 Community College Dr
          Louisville, KY 40272

          (502) 213-7354

          Thanks for the idea of a custom publisher, there are some in the Austin
          area.
          Can you tell me something about finding pictures that are public domain and
          could use...or are public domain pictures not allowed for a for profit
          publication?

          Thanks, I'll keep you posted.
          Robin Matthews 512.444.6083
          > Have you considered a custom publisher? There are plenty out there.
          > It's not that hard to make up your own text. The most difficult part is
          > to find good, cheap articles, but they are out there.
          >
          > Dorothy Davis
          > Department of Anthropology
          > UNCG
          > 336-256-1099

          Inbound message certified virus free.
        • Ann Kaupp
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 4, 2002
            ANTHROPOLOGY CURRICULUM FOR GRADES 9-12

            Anthropology. 2000. Gene Boteler and Mary Boteler. The Center for
            Learning. 259 pp.

            This curriculum is written by two former participants of the Smithsonian
            Institution/George Washington University Anthropology for Teachers Program
            who teach anthropology at the high school level. The authors have designed
            this spiral-bound manual as a primary teaching tool or supplementary
            resource.

            Anthropology is organized into five parts. Part 1: "Studying the Human
            Story" introduces students to the study and fields of anthropology.
            Students conduct an anthropological study of their fellow high school
            students, determine what objects can tell us about culture, gain a
            perspective of the concept of time, and learn how natural selection works
            within nature.

            Part 2: "Humanity's Closest Relatives" explores the origins of human
            physiology and behavior by focusing on the primates. Part 3: "Human
            Beginnings" explains how biological anthropology determines what makes us
            human. This section covers the fossil evidence, mitrochondrial DNA studies
            and migration theories, and genetics.

            Part 4: "Hallmarks and Touchstones of Culture" demonstrates the variety of
            the human condition and explores such topics as cultural change, kinship,
            gender roles, marriage, economic activities, environment, warfare, and more.
            Part 5: "Expressions of Culture" focuses on taboos, religion, language,
            art, potlatch, sports, and a Yanomamo case study.

            This curriculum contains 40 creative lesson plans and 80 handouts. While
            it is geared for grades 9-12, it easily can be adapted for lower grades.
            The authors have made suggestions on handling such potentially sensitive or
            controversial topics as evolution and religion. While this book is an
            excellent text for anthropology, it also would be a valuable supplement for
            teaching classes on biology, history, world cultures, math, social studies,
            and art.

            Order from: The Center for Learning, PO Box 910, Villa Maria, PA 16155;
            (724) 964-8083; (800) 767-9090; www.centerforlearning.org. The book is
            listed under senior high electives on the web site.

            (Originally published in the winter/spring 1999-2000 issue of AnthroNotes)

            >>> LJMil@... 09/30/02 11:44AM >>>
            Dear Robin,

            We've corresponded before on anthropology in high schools and I was one of

            those who suggested some books to you. I totally agree with you that
            anthropology desperately needs to be offered in the high schools. However,
            doubt that any suitable textbook will be written in the near future.

            Instead, I would recommend that a teacher combine straight-forward
            classroom
            discussions with selected articles written for the lay public. In recent
            years, ANNUAL EDITIONS (among other publishers) have culled interesting,
            plain-language articles from magazines like NATURE, DISCOVER and
            SMITHSONIAN.
            In my comm. college classes (before retiring), I often used one good
            article
            as a spring board to discuss various anthropological topics. Students
            almost
            always came alive, asked more questions and showed more interest with this

            technique than with others.

            Also, many of the "just regular" high school students you mention attend
            community colleges. Most seem to show genuine interest in the
            anthropologically relevant current issues in spite of the reading and
            writing
            skills they might lack. This has led me to believe that rather than trying

            to teach anthropology courses in high school (we've tried for years and
            generally failed), we should try to teach the "stuff" of anthropology.

            For example, what if we created a unit in some general social studies
            curriculum on "human diversity" (we could even call it something like "Why

            People Do What They Do"). In this, we could focus discussion on
            issue-oriented matters like evolution (call it something else), race,
            culture, etc. Almost any of today's news headlines could provide a
            backdrop
            for these and many more anthropological topics.

            I'm often amazed at how many people have anthropological knowledge and
            perspective and may have never taken an anthropology course. I recently
            attended the annual AARP Conference in San Diego and heard two of the
            keynote
            speakers—actors Edward James Olmos and James Earl Jones—deliver
            lectures (on
            the topics of "race" and "culture," respectively) that belonged in an
            anthro
            101 textbook. Their audience, of course, were people 50 yrs. old plus,
            many
            of whom probably never went to college. Nevertheless, both talks were
            frequently interrupted by applause at statements that for us were either
            anthropological truisms or reasoned conclusions based on anthropological
            facts and knowledge. Both speakers received standing ovations, and—the
            actors' obvious charisma aside—certainly some of the applause was in
            appreciation of the anthropological content and perspective they provided.

            I think that anthropology's legacy for the future will be its perspective,

            its way of seeing and thinking about the world and human beings. I think
            (as
            the current case in Georgia has shown) that this perspective needs to be
            infused into the K-12 curriculum, at all levels, under whatever label and
            in
            whatever ways it can.

            (Sorry for rambling on. As you know, retirees have more time...)

            Sincerely,

            Lloyd Miller