Re: [SACC-L] Update on Evolution Vote in Marietta, GA

  • robin-ann@att.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 30, 2002
      Cynthia,

      First, yes, I have been thinking about such a project but don't have a clue as
      to how to start, i.e. how to get the photos, maps, etc. that are public domain
      and not protected by copyright already, 'cause I don't have money to pay for
      such.

      In Texas, the school year is divided into two semesters of 18 weeks each. An
      anthro course would be an elective and thus would be either 18weeks OR 9 weeks
      if a school district had traditional classes of 45-50 min. each or block
      scheduling of 90 minutes each...further complicated by the fact that some
      districts have each class meet 90 min each day or every other day (A-B
      schedule). This whole issue is a case study itself!

      Presently psychology and sociology are the only electives that are
      common...with almost no anthro being taught anywhere. Texas Education Agency
      does not even have a course number for anthro...rather, the course has to be
      taught as a social studies "special problems" type course and uses some generic
      course number.

      They way all this came to a head was that I was in the process of being hired
      to do a high school anthro correspondence course with Univ. of Texas at Austin
      but the powers that be wanted a text book.

      Your suggestions are being digested and maybe my interest will perk up a bit
      when cold weather sets in and I can spend time by the fireplace pondering the
      fate of the universe.

      Keep in touch...oh yes, I'm a retired high school geography, economics, anthro
      teachers...30 years experience.

      later,
      Robin Matthews

      > Dear Robin,
      >

      > Guilty as charged on being out of touch with the high school scene.
      > ("Sup!") No, what I meant by four fields in four quarters-- I was thinking
      > about how a writer or group of writers would organize such a text. The
      > text would probably be organized so as to work in four ten week marking
      > periods. Is that still a safe assumption to make? It should be very
      > colorful, lots and lots of photos, and have an instructors manual with lots
      > of suggested activities that would fit neatly in a forty minute period. I
      > was just wondering if you did, say, a physical anthro unit, a language
      > unit, a cultural-survey unit and an archaeology unit to fit the four
      > marking periods, if that would be a good way to organize it. Surely there
      > are lab exercises, ethnography-like interviewing exercises, and internet
      > sites one could modify and use to make it fun and engaging for high school
      > students. High school classes are so different -- both the classroom
      > environments as well as the students themselves. It would be quite a
      > challenge to make a text that could work for, say, a class full of hyper
      > kids whose basic skills are borderline. It couldn't look like a watered
      > down version of Haviland or anything like that. Are you retired and
      > interested in doing something like that?
      >
      > Cynthia

    • Dorothy D. Bruner
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002
        Have you considered a custom publisher? There are plenty out there.
        It's not that hard to make up your own text. The most difficult part is
        to find good, cheap articles, but they are out there.

        Dorothy Davis
        Department of Anthropology
        UNCG
        336-256-1099
      • robin-ann@att.net
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002
          Dorothy,

          Thanks for the idea of a custom publisher, there are some in the Austin area.
          Can you tell me something about finding pictures that are public domain and I
          could use...or are public domain pictures not allowed for a for profit
          publication?

          Thanks, I'll keep you posted.
          Robin Matthews 512.444.6083

        • Dianne.Chidester@kctcs.edu
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002
            BTW, Dorothy Davis edited a reader: "Readings in Non-Western Cultures"
            which is excellent.

            Dianne Lynn Chidester, M.A.
            Assistant Professor
            Anthropology & Sociology
            Jefferson Community College SW
            1000 Community College Dr
            Louisville, KY 40272

            (502) 213-7354

            Thanks for the idea of a custom publisher, there are some in the Austin
            area.
            Can you tell me something about finding pictures that are public domain and
            could use...or are public domain pictures not allowed for a for profit
            publication?

            Thanks, I'll keep you posted.
            Robin Matthews 512.444.6083
            > Have you considered a custom publisher? There are plenty out there.
            > It's not that hard to make up your own text. The most difficult part is
            > to find good, cheap articles, but they are out there.
            >
            > Dorothy Davis
            > Department of Anthropology
            > UNCG
            > 336-256-1099

            Inbound message certified virus free.
          • Ann Kaupp
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 4, 2002
              ANTHROPOLOGY CURRICULUM FOR GRADES 9-12

              Anthropology. 2000. Gene Boteler and Mary Boteler. The Center for
              Learning. 259 pp.

              This curriculum is written by two former participants of the Smithsonian
              Institution/George Washington University Anthropology for Teachers Program
              who teach anthropology at the high school level. The authors have designed
              this spiral-bound manual as a primary teaching tool or supplementary
              resource.

              Anthropology is organized into five parts. Part 1: "Studying the Human
              Story" introduces students to the study and fields of anthropology.
              Students conduct an anthropological study of their fellow high school
              students, determine what objects can tell us about culture, gain a
              perspective of the concept of time, and learn how natural selection works
              within nature.

              Part 2: "Humanity's Closest Relatives" explores the origins of human
              physiology and behavior by focusing on the primates. Part 3: "Human
              Beginnings" explains how biological anthropology determines what makes us
              human. This section covers the fossil evidence, mitrochondrial DNA studies
              and migration theories, and genetics.

              Part 4: "Hallmarks and Touchstones of Culture" demonstrates the variety of
              the human condition and explores such topics as cultural change, kinship,
              gender roles, marriage, economic activities, environment, warfare, and more.
              Part 5: "Expressions of Culture" focuses on taboos, religion, language,
              art, potlatch, sports, and a Yanomamo case study.

              This curriculum contains 40 creative lesson plans and 80 handouts. While
              it is geared for grades 9-12, it easily can be adapted for lower grades.
              The authors have made suggestions on handling such potentially sensitive or
              controversial topics as evolution and religion. While this book is an
              excellent text for anthropology, it also would be a valuable supplement for
              teaching classes on biology, history, world cultures, math, social studies,
              and art.

              Order from: The Center for Learning, PO Box 910, Villa Maria, PA 16155;
              (724) 964-8083; (800) 767-9090; www.centerforlearning.org. The book is
              listed under senior high electives on the web site.

              (Originally published in the winter/spring 1999-2000 issue of AnthroNotes)

              >>> LJMil@... 09/30/02 11:44AM >>>
              Dear Robin,

              We've corresponded before on anthropology in high schools and I was one of

              those who suggested some books to you. I totally agree with you that
              anthropology desperately needs to be offered in the high schools. However,
              doubt that any suitable textbook will be written in the near future.

              Instead, I would recommend that a teacher combine straight-forward
              classroom
              discussions with selected articles written for the lay public. In recent
              years, ANNUAL EDITIONS (among other publishers) have culled interesting,
              plain-language articles from magazines like NATURE, DISCOVER and
              SMITHSONIAN.
              In my comm. college classes (before retiring), I often used one good
              article
              as a spring board to discuss various anthropological topics. Students
              almost
              always came alive, asked more questions and showed more interest with this

              technique than with others.

              Also, many of the "just regular" high school students you mention attend
              community colleges. Most seem to show genuine interest in the
              anthropologically relevant current issues in spite of the reading and
              writing
              skills they might lack. This has led me to believe that rather than trying

              to teach anthropology courses in high school (we've tried for years and
              generally failed), we should try to teach the "stuff" of anthropology.

              For example, what if we created a unit in some general social studies
              curriculum on "human diversity" (we could even call it something like "Why

              People Do What They Do"). In this, we could focus discussion on
              issue-oriented matters like evolution (call it something else), race,
              culture, etc. Almost any of today's news headlines could provide a
              backdrop
              for these and many more anthropological topics.

              I'm often amazed at how many people have anthropological knowledge and
              perspective and may have never taken an anthropology course. I recently
              attended the annual AARP Conference in San Diego and heard two of the
              keynote
              speakers—actors Edward James Olmos and James Earl Jones—deliver
              lectures (on
              the topics of "race" and "culture," respectively) that belonged in an
              anthro
              101 textbook. Their audience, of course, were people 50 yrs. old plus,
              many
              of whom probably never went to college. Nevertheless, both talks were
              frequently interrupted by applause at statements that for us were either
              anthropological truisms or reasoned conclusions based on anthropological
              facts and knowledge. Both speakers received standing ovations, and—the
              actors' obvious charisma aside—certainly some of the applause was in
              appreciation of the anthropological content and perspective they provided.

              I think that anthropology's legacy for the future will be its perspective,

              its way of seeing and thinking about the world and human beings. I think
              (as
              the current case in Georgia has shown) that this perspective needs to be
              infused into the K-12 curriculum, at all levels, under whatever label and
              in
              whatever ways it can.

              (Sorry for rambling on. As you know, retirees have more time...)

              Sincerely,

              Lloyd Miller