Re: [SACC-L] Update on Evolution Vote in Marietta, GA

  • robin-ann@att.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 30, 2002
      Lloyd,

      You seem to have a clue, but most don't....its a close call to see which folks
      have their heads in the sand or stuck somewhere in some ivory tower. But
      you're on the right track.

      The problem that I encounter with the local Univ. of Texas at Austin high
      school Correspondence Dept. and with various school districts, is that they
      need a text. You can pretty much do what you want, as long as there is a text
      to show mom and dad, who, after all is said and done, do foot the bill and they
      want something to touch and hold.

      Now the use of oneline stuff for research is coming on strong, but most moms
      and dads and school board members still want to see a book.

      Later,
      Robin Matthews

    • LJMil@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 30, 2002
        Robin,
        From everything you've said, the best book I know of to serve as an anthro.
        text for h.s. students is Arthur Niehoff's ON BECOMING HUMAN, A JOURNEY OF
        5,000,000 YEARS (Bonsall, CA. Hominid Press, 1996. Paper, 419 pages. ISBN
        0-9643072-3-5. $14.95). I assure you the kids will have trouble wresting it
        away from their parents, who will all want to read it.

        Here's a quote from the back cover: "Welcome to the field trip of a lifetime.
        The moment a human first stood upright and clutched a tool in its free hand,
        the exciting odyssey of human culture began. ON BECOMING HUMAN is a
        high-stepping trek from the dawn of prehistory to the space age. Each of 12
        chapters investigates the milestones in human history and is divided into two
        parts. The first half is fiction of the highest order. The second half is a
        lively question-and-answer discussion between a college student and professor
        Niehoff himself. You'll come face to face with the daily lives of ordinary
        women and men throughout the ages and feel for yourself the very pulse of our
        human condition."

        Each chapter stands alone and can generate discussion on a variety of anthro.
        topics. One need not assign the whole book. The fictionalized first half of
        each chapter is interesting by itself, but the second Q & A section
        anticipates the kinds of questions students might ask and so also teaches
        them how to formulate and ask questions. Teachers can use the questions as
        points of departure to wherever they want to take the discussion, as well as
        to structure homework assignments, projects, tests and other "textbook-like"
        activities. The book can be read and understood by anyone who can read a
        newspaper. Art has a special knack for communicating to the general public
        without sounding condescending.

        I'm sure if you e-mailed Art, niehoff@..., he'd send you a review copy.
        Also, his website is www.hominidpress.com.

        Regards,
        Lloyd
      • ninivaggic@georgian.edu
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 30, 2002
          Dear Robin,

          Guilty as charged on being out of touch with the high school scene.
          ("Sup!") No, what I meant by four fields in four quarters-- I was thinking
          about how a writer or group of writers would organize such a text. The
          text would probably be organized so as to work in four ten week marking
          periods. Is that still a safe assumption to make? It should be very
          colorful, lots and lots of photos, and have an instructors manual with lots
          of suggested activities that would fit neatly in a forty minute period. I
          was just wondering if you did, say, a physical anthro unit, a language
          unit, a cultural-survey unit and an archaeology unit to fit the four
          marking periods, if that would be a good way to organize it. Surely there
          are lab exercises, ethnography-like interviewing exercises, and internet
          sites one could modify and use to make it fun and engaging for high school
          students. High school classes are so different -- both the classroom
          environments as well as the students themselves. It would be quite a
          challenge to make a text that could work for, say, a class full of hyper
          kids whose basic skills are borderline. It couldn't look like a watered
          down version of Haviland or anything like that. Are you retired and
          interested in doing something like that?

          Cynthia
        • robin-ann@att.net
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 30, 2002
            Cynthia,

            First, yes, I have been thinking about such a project but don't have a clue as
            to how to start, i.e. how to get the photos, maps, etc. that are public domain
            and not protected by copyright already, 'cause I don't have money to pay for
            such.

            In Texas, the school year is divided into two semesters of 18 weeks each. An
            anthro course would be an elective and thus would be either 18weeks OR 9 weeks
            if a school district had traditional classes of 45-50 min. each or block
            scheduling of 90 minutes each...further complicated by the fact that some
            districts have each class meet 90 min each day or every other day (A-B
            schedule). This whole issue is a case study itself!

            Presently psychology and sociology are the only electives that are
            common...with almost no anthro being taught anywhere. Texas Education Agency
            does not even have a course number for anthro...rather, the course has to be
            taught as a social studies "special problems" type course and uses some generic
            course number.

            They way all this came to a head was that I was in the process of being hired
            to do a high school anthro correspondence course with Univ. of Texas at Austin
            but the powers that be wanted a text book.

            Your suggestions are being digested and maybe my interest will perk up a bit
            when cold weather sets in and I can spend time by the fireplace pondering the
            fate of the universe.

            Keep in touch...oh yes, I'm a retired high school geography, economics, anthro
            teachers...30 years experience.

            later,
            Robin Matthews

            > Dear Robin,
            >

            > Guilty as charged on being out of touch with the high school scene.
            > ("Sup!") No, what I meant by four fields in four quarters-- I was thinking
            > about how a writer or group of writers would organize such a text. The
            > text would probably be organized so as to work in four ten week marking
            > periods. Is that still a safe assumption to make? It should be very
            > colorful, lots and lots of photos, and have an instructors manual with lots
            > of suggested activities that would fit neatly in a forty minute period. I
            > was just wondering if you did, say, a physical anthro unit, a language
            > unit, a cultural-survey unit and an archaeology unit to fit the four
            > marking periods, if that would be a good way to organize it. Surely there
            > are lab exercises, ethnography-like interviewing exercises, and internet
            > sites one could modify and use to make it fun and engaging for high school
            > students. High school classes are so different -- both the classroom
            > environments as well as the students themselves. It would be quite a
            > challenge to make a text that could work for, say, a class full of hyper
            > kids whose basic skills are borderline. It couldn't look like a watered
            > down version of Haviland or anything like that. Are you retired and
            > interested in doing something like that?
            >
            > Cynthia

          • Dorothy D. Bruner
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002
              Have you considered a custom publisher? There are plenty out there.
              It's not that hard to make up your own text. The most difficult part is
              to find good, cheap articles, but they are out there.

              Dorothy Davis
              Department of Anthropology
              UNCG
              336-256-1099
            • robin-ann@att.net
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002
                Dorothy,

                Thanks for the idea of a custom publisher, there are some in the Austin area.
                Can you tell me something about finding pictures that are public domain and I
                could use...or are public domain pictures not allowed for a for profit
                publication?

                Thanks, I'll keep you posted.
                Robin Matthews 512.444.6083

              • Dianne.Chidester@kctcs.edu
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 1, 2002
                  BTW, Dorothy Davis edited a reader: "Readings in Non-Western Cultures"
                  which is excellent.

                  Dianne Lynn Chidester, M.A.
                  Assistant Professor
                  Anthropology & Sociology
                  Jefferson Community College SW
                  1000 Community College Dr
                  Louisville, KY 40272

                  (502) 213-7354

                  Thanks for the idea of a custom publisher, there are some in the Austin
                  area.
                  Can you tell me something about finding pictures that are public domain and
                  could use...or are public domain pictures not allowed for a for profit
                  publication?

                  Thanks, I'll keep you posted.
                  Robin Matthews 512.444.6083
                  > Have you considered a custom publisher? There are plenty out there.
                  > It's not that hard to make up your own text. The most difficult part is
                  > to find good, cheap articles, but they are out there.
                  >
                  > Dorothy Davis
                  > Department of Anthropology
                  > UNCG
                  > 336-256-1099

                  Inbound message certified virus free.
                • Ann Kaupp
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 4, 2002
                    ANTHROPOLOGY CURRICULUM FOR GRADES 9-12

                    Anthropology. 2000. Gene Boteler and Mary Boteler. The Center for
                    Learning. 259 pp.

                    This curriculum is written by two former participants of the Smithsonian
                    Institution/George Washington University Anthropology for Teachers Program
                    who teach anthropology at the high school level. The authors have designed
                    this spiral-bound manual as a primary teaching tool or supplementary
                    resource.

                    Anthropology is organized into five parts. Part 1: "Studying the Human
                    Story" introduces students to the study and fields of anthropology.
                    Students conduct an anthropological study of their fellow high school
                    students, determine what objects can tell us about culture, gain a
                    perspective of the concept of time, and learn how natural selection works
                    within nature.

                    Part 2: "Humanity's Closest Relatives" explores the origins of human
                    physiology and behavior by focusing on the primates. Part 3: "Human
                    Beginnings" explains how biological anthropology determines what makes us
                    human. This section covers the fossil evidence, mitrochondrial DNA studies
                    and migration theories, and genetics.

                    Part 4: "Hallmarks and Touchstones of Culture" demonstrates the variety of
                    the human condition and explores such topics as cultural change, kinship,
                    gender roles, marriage, economic activities, environment, warfare, and more.
                    Part 5: "Expressions of Culture" focuses on taboos, religion, language,
                    art, potlatch, sports, and a Yanomamo case study.

                    This curriculum contains 40 creative lesson plans and 80 handouts. While
                    it is geared for grades 9-12, it easily can be adapted for lower grades.
                    The authors have made suggestions on handling such potentially sensitive or
                    controversial topics as evolution and religion. While this book is an
                    excellent text for anthropology, it also would be a valuable supplement for
                    teaching classes on biology, history, world cultures, math, social studies,
                    and art.

                    Order from: The Center for Learning, PO Box 910, Villa Maria, PA 16155;
                    (724) 964-8083; (800) 767-9090; www.centerforlearning.org. The book is
                    listed under senior high electives on the web site.

                    (Originally published in the winter/spring 1999-2000 issue of AnthroNotes)

                    >>> LJMil@... 09/30/02 11:44AM >>>