FW: [ANTHRO-L] Conference Announcement: Globalizations 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 15, 2002

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Jeff Stepnisky [mailto:jstepnisky@...]
      Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2002 7:30 PM
      To: ANTHRO-L@...
      Subject: [ANTHRO-L] Conference Announcement: Globalizations 2002

      Hello!,

       This is an invitation to a conference on Globalizations:  Cultural,
       Economic, Democratic to be held April 11 - 14th at the University of
       Maryland in College Park. The conference, like it's theme, will be
       interdisciplinary and international in character and we hope to have
       as many different perspectives presented as possible.  This includes
       persons both on the academic and activists fronts.

       Our emphasis will be on the interactions between various kinds of
       globalizations: cultural, economic and democratic. There has been much
       academic research and public discussion on the global economy, but we
       know much less about the emerging culture that accompanies it. The
       goal of this conference is to bring clarity to this and other issues.
       Some of the questions to be addressed are, but not limited to:

         -What are the implications of postmodern culture and global
           capitalism for each other and for a democratic life?

         -What are relations between emerging cultural hybrids and postindustrial
          economies, between post-Fordism and post-Freudianism, between flexible
          accumulation and flexible identities?

         -What is the global and social distribution of such different cultural,
          economic, and political forms?

         -How do various social and cultural theories alternately address the
          complex transformations, questions and problems of the present?

       Again, please note that this is not an exhaustive list of
       questions/topics to be addressed.  For a more complete list, or for
       information on the location of the conference, registration material, on
       organizing a session, "things to do" while in the DC metropolitan area,
       how to submit papers for presentation, or more general information on
       the conference itself, please visit Globalizations' webpage at
         <URL:http://www.bsos.umd.edu/socy/conference>.

       If further information or clarification is needed, please feel free
       to contact the conference organizer, Dr. Richard Brown at
       rbrown@....

       Thank You and we look forward to seeing you,

       Conference Organizer
       Richard Brown

       The Conference Staff
        Craig Lair