Help Needed on Native American Ethnohistory

  • LAWolfe@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 22, 1999
      Hi Everyone!

      I'm trying to draw some contrasts between Native American beliefs and
      practises regarding sexuality, marriage, gender, and family and the European
      Settlers/Conquerors. (This is for my new book, When One Lover Isn't Enough,
      in a section where I'm exploring the conflicts and contradictions of American
      Sexual Morality.)

      So far I've mentioned Iroquois long houses and Cheyenne berdache/two
      spirits...

      Other tidbits would be greatly appreciated!

      Leanna Wolfe
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 22, 1999
        I assume you've heard of these (Mark and I offer them as optional readings
        on gender for his Peoples and Cultures class):

        The Spirit and the Flesh: Sexual Diversity in American Indian Culture
        Walter Williams
        Beacon Press 1986
        ($12.80 from amazon.com)
        ISBN 0807046159

        Manliness and Civilization: A Cultural History of Gender and Race in the
        United States, 1880-1917 (Women in Culture and Society Series)
        Gail Bederman; Catherine Stimpson
        University of Chicago Press 1995
        ($ 18.95 at amazon.com)
        ISBN 0226041395

        I'm trying to draw some contrasts between Native American beliefs
        and
        practises regarding sexuality, marriage, gender, and family and the
        European
        Settlers/Conquerors. (This is for my new book, When One Lover Isn't
        Enough,
        in a section where I'm exploring the conflicts and contradictions of
        American
        Sexual Morality.)

        So far I've mentioned Iroquois long houses and Cheyenne berdache/two

        spirits...

        Other tidbits would be greatly appreciated!

        Leanna Wolfe

        Books, music, videos, gifts, e-cards, auctions-find them at
        AMAZON.COM.
        Browse Earth's Biggest Selection! Enjoy everyday savings of up to
        50%!

        Be sure to check out the SACC web page at www.ccanthro.org for
        meeting materials, newsletters, etc.