FW: BLueprint for and Evolution Education Workshop

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 26, 2001
      FW: BLueprint for and Evolution Education Workshop

      Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 21:48:51 -0500
      From: Andrew Petto <editor@...>
      Sender: Andrew Petto <editor@...>
      To: me <apetto@...>, Secondary Biology Teacher Enhancement PI
      <BIOPI-L@...>, "Steven A. Edinger" <edingers@...>

      A Blueprint for an Evolution Education Workshop

      This is a project coming out of the National Conference on the Teaching of
      Evolution, held in October, 2000 in Berkeley. Many scientific societies
      were interested in holding workshops for local teachers at their annual
      society meetings, but most had no experience organizing such affairs. The
      "Blueprint" was written to provide information and advice based on the
      collective experience of scientists and master teachers. To learn more,
      go to:

      http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/ncte/twb/

      Genie

      Eugenie C. Scott, Ph.D.
      Executive Director
      National Center for Science Education, Inc.
      420 40th Street, Ste. 2
      Oakland, CA 94609-2509
      510-601-7203
      fax: 510-601-7204
      800-290-6006
      scott@...
      http://www.ncseweb.org

      --- End Forwarded Message ---

      "There is no adequate defense, except stupidity, against the impact of
      a new idea."
      -- Percy Williams Bridgman (1882-1961) U. S. physicist, Nobel Prize, 1946

      "The hypothesis we accept ought to explain phenomena which we have
      observed. But they ought to do more than this: our hypotheses ought to
      foretell phenomena which have not yet been observed."
      -- William Whewell (1794-1866) English mathematician, philosopher

      "Taken over the centuries, scientific ideas have exerted a force on our
      civilization fully as great as the more tangible practical applications
      of scientific research."
      -- I. Bernard Cohen (1914- ) U. S. historian of science

      "Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
      -- Theodosius Dobzhansky, 1973

      Steven A. Edinger, Physiology Lab Instructor

      064 Irvine Hall
      Department of Biological Sciences               steven.edinger.1@...
      Ohio University                                 Office:  (740) 593-9484
      Athens, Ohio  45701-2979                        Fax:  (740) 593-0300