SACC Meeting announcement

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 19, 2001
      SACC Meeting announcement

      Please excuse any duplication and forward to anyone who might be interested.

      Abstract guidlines, submission forms and Conference registration forms are on the SACC web page    www.ccanthro.org

      A TIME OF CRISIS
      SACC ANNUAL MEETING
      Fort Lauderdale, Florida
      February 21-23, 2002

      Our theme is Teaching Anthropology in a Time of Crisis.

        How did you learn of the terrorist attacks of September 11th?  How did you, your school, and your students react?  How has the attack and the subsequent military, political, and economic events affect you and your teaching?  How should anthropology and anthropologists be involved in this unfolding struggle?  We will have a lot to talk about and share this winter in our time together.

      On Thursday and Friday, we will have scheduled presentations along with breakfast, lunch, and both midmorning and midafternoon snacks.  We are booking speakers for lunch each day and book exhibits for you to browse in.  We will have a reception on Thursday in the late afternoon/early evening.  Dinner will be on your own on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.  The officers will meet on Wednesday afternoon and evening.  We will schedule some free time on Thursday and Friday for you to take advantage of what Fort Lauderdale has to offer.

      On Saturday, we will have breakfast together and then go to the Ah Tah Thi Ki Seminole Tribal Museum, a Seminole reconstructed Village, lunch, and an swamp buggy Eco tour.  By coming early or staying later you can arrange day trips to the islands or drive to Key West or other interesting destinations

      We will be meeting in Fort Lauderdale at the Holiday Inn, Fort Lauderdale Beach (999 N. Atlantic Blvd., Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33304-3398) (954/563-5961).  You can make  reservation from the SACC web site.

       You need to reserve your room before the cut off date of January 20, 2002.  The room charge is $99.00 + tax for single/double/triple/quad occupancy.  The Holiday Inn is adjacent to the beach, very close to Birch State Park and Bonnet House, a historic subtropical estate and plantation home.

       It is five miles from the Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport.  You can use their courtesy phone to arrange a reasonably priced shuttle from the airport.  We are close to a variety of shopping areas.  Several museums and many other attractions are in the vicinity.

      On Thursday and Friday, we will have scheduled presentations along with breakfast, lunch, and both midmorning and midafternoon snacks.  We are booking speakers for lunch each day and book exhibits for you to browse in.  We will have a reception on Thursday in the late afternoon/early evening.  Dinner will be on your own on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.  The officers will meet on Wednesday afternoon and evening.  We will schedule some free time on Thursday and Friday for you to take advantage of what Fort Lauderdale has to offer.

      On Saturday, we will have breakfast together and then go to the Ah Tah Thi Ki Seminole Tribal Museum, a Seminole reconstructed Village, lunch, and an swamp buggy Eco tour.  By coming early or staying later you can arrange day trips to the islands or drive to Key West or other interesting destinations.

      If you have any questions about the conference, contact Chuck Ellenbaum (630/942-2433).  For questions about program, contact Mary Pulford (218/733-5957), about expense reimbursement, contact Mel Johnson (402/472-5972), and about local conditions, Mark Tromans (954/475-6726).

      Ann Popplestone

      CCC TLC