FW: Review request: The Garifuna Journey

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 12, 1999
      From: LJMil@... <mailto:LJMil@...> [SMTP:LJMil@...]
      Sent: Saturday, June 12, 1999 2:12 AM
      To: abalzano@...; <mailto:abalzano@...;>
      <mailto:rcramer@...;> reifs@...;
      <mailto:reifs@...;> roberg@...;
      <mailto:roberg@...;> stein2@...;
      <mailto:stein2@...;> Tbbyrnehom@...;
      <mailto:Tbbyrnehom@...;> tdaughtrey@...
      <mailto:tdaughtrey@...>
      Subject: Review request: The Garifuna Journey

      Hello all,
      Would someone like to review this for the TASN? I have the video with
      accompanying print and promotional materials, and will send them promptly to

      one of the first FIVE lucky winners who reply (I'll draw the name out of a
      hat)!
      Regards,
      Lloyd

      May 20, 1999

      Lloyd J. Miller,
      I am writing to inform you of THE GARIFUNA JOURNEY, a recently completed
      documentary video which you may be interested in reviewing for the Teaching
      Anthropology/SACC Notes.
      THE GARIFUNA JOURNEY is a first voice testimony celebrating the resiliency
      of the Garifuna people and their traditions. This 46 minute documentary
      video was filmed entirely in Belize in partnership with Garifuna tradition
      bearers, anthropologists and cultural activists during the research,
      scripting, production and editing phases of this project. The documentary
      resulting from this "outsider and insider" collaboration is the first of its
      kind, one that captures the triumph of spirit of the Garifuna people.

      Descendants of African and Carib-Indian ancestors, the Garifuna fought to
      maintain their homeland and resisted slavery. For this love of freedom, they
      were exiled by the British in 1797. Despite exile and subsequent Diaspora,
      their traditional culture survives today. It is a little known story that
      deserves its place in the annals of the African Diaspora. In authentic
      Garifuna voices, this documentary presents the history, the language, food,
      music, dance and spirituality of the Garifuna culture. It is a celebratory
      documentary, with engaging scenes of fishing, cooking, dancing, cassava
      preparation, thatching a temple, spiritual ritual, ritual music and dance
      all demonstrating the Garifuna link to the Carib-African past.

      The purpose of this documentary is to educate the younger generation of
      Garifuna who are moving away from their traditions, and to educate the
      public at large about this remarkable culture. The following is a list, to
      date, of screenings and awards for The GARIFUNA JOURNEY

      Screenings/Awards:
      National Education Film & Video Festival, BRONZE APPLE
      18th Bilan du Film Ethnographique, Paris, France
      Pan African Film Festival, Los Angeles
      Smithsonian, National Museum of American Indian, New York
      Tellluride Indiefest OE98
      Columbus International Film & Video Festival: HONORABLE MENTION
      Philadelphia International Film Festival: HONORABLE MENTION
      Huntington Internat1l Film Fest, NY: ARTISTIC EXCELLENCE IN ETHNOGRAPHIC
      VIDEO
      Latin American Studies Association Film Festival: AWARD OF MERIT
      Breckenridge Festival of Film, CO.
      Field Museum of Natural History, Chicago, IL.
      American Anthropology Film Festival, Philadelphia, PA.
      Caribbean Studies Conference, Antigua.
      Echoes of the Bone Conference, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL.

      Additional information about this project can be found on our website,
      www.cs.org <http://www.cs.org> , under "Special Projects", The Garifuna
      Journey.

      Thank you for taking the time to consider reviewing THE GARIFUNA JOURNEY.
      If you are not interested in personally writing a review, please consider
      using a review currently ready for publication by Professor Jean Muteba
      Rahier (of the Florida International University). Confirmation of the
      receipt of this letter by phone, fax, or email would be greatly appreciated.
      I look forward to hearing from you.

      Best regards,
      Andrea Leland

      Leland/Berger Productions
      1200 Judson Avenue
      Evanston, Il. 60202
      Phone: (847) 864-7746
      Fax: (847) 864-8454

      --------------------

      <HEAD>
      <TITLE>Teaching Anthropology/SACC Notes, review request: The Garifuna
      Journey</TITLE>
      </HEAD>

    • Jeff MacKinnon
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 14, 1999
        Lloyd--I'd be happy to review The Garifuna Journey. Ihave worked with Garifuna people in Belize for the past 16 years in doing my archaeology, and my wife has conducted research in the Garifuna village of Seine Bight. One or both of us would do the review.
        Jeff MacKinnon & Carol Key

        mailto:jmackinnon@...
        http://www.ccccd.edu/divisions/ssps/anthro/main.htm