FW: [ANTHRO-L] Panel at NWSA on 9/11

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29 6:34 PM
      FW: [ANTHRO-L] Panel at NWSA on 9/11

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Sarah Hautzinger [mailto:SHautzinger@...]
      Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2001 8:28 PM
      To: ANTHRO-L@...
      Subject: [ANTHRO-L] Panel at NWSA on 9/11

      (Anthropologists: it would be wonderful to have the discipline represented
      on the panel below)

      We are seeking participants for a panel to discuss ways in which teachers of
      Introduction to Women's Studies (or closely related) classes contextualized
      the attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon ("September 11th") and
      the resulting war on terrorism and anthrax attacks (and whatever--if
      anything--comes next) for the NWSA meetings in Las Vegas (June 13-16, 2001).
      Into which topics did you weave materials?  What did you want to accomplish?
      What were the important teaching points?  How did students react and could
      you get them to see past hegemonic media images of good and evil?  What
      books, articles, news stories, web sites, films did you use?  How did you
      convey feminist analyses of the issues?  What worked and what didn't?

      If you are interested in joining the panel, send us a brief statement of
      what you would like to discuss, your name, mailing address, home and work
      phone, whether you are willing for NWSA to publish your email address, a
      suggested title for your presentation, and any absolutely necessary
      equipment needs (the hotel charges extra for any equipment).

      Presenters at NWSA meetings must be members of NWSA.  If our panel is
      accepted for the program, and if you are not currently a member of NWSA, you
      will be have to join.  NWSA has a web page (www.nwsa.org) if you want more

      Proposals for panels are due to NWSA on Sunday, November 4.  (Yes, we are
      very late sending out this call for participants.  Sorry.)   If you'd like
      us to consider your participation, please contact us as soon as possible.
      We will put the panel together on Friday the 2nd, so get us your materials
      by then.

      Sarah Hautzinger, Anthropology, Colorado College, 719-389-6359

      Margaret Duncombe, Sociology, Colorado