Re: [SACC-L] need high school anthropology textbook

  • John R. Pulskamp
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 5, 2001
      I have used the following books in introductory level college and university classes in cultural
      anthropology. I think either could be used successfully with older high school students.

      Anthropology (or their other book which is a sub-set, Cultural Anthropology, if you will not be
      getting into the physical/biological aspects)
      by Ember and Ember
      Prentice Hall

      Cultural Anthropology
      by Haviland
      Harcourt Brace College Publishers

      I used Haviland's 9th edition. One very nice thing about it is a pronunciation guide, which helps with
      some of the exotic words one is bound to encounter when studying anthropology. My personal preference,
      however, is Ember & Ember. I have used their 9th edition and am now using the new 10th edition. A
      couple of new chapters have been included in the new addition, but otherwise there is not a lot of
      difference between them. The summary and especially the list of glossary terms at the back of each
      chapter help students identify important terms and topics. There is also a fairly extensive glossary
      at the back of the book with good usable definitions.

      robin-ann@... wrote:

      > I am in desparate need of a high school anthropology
      > textbook...for a course to be offered by U of Texas at
      > Austin high school correspondence division.
      >
      > "In Search of Humaness" by I. Cohen, while quaint and
      > clever, is not satisfactory for my purpose. Need
      > something in range of $40.00, organized into chapters
      > with activities and exercises. This is something
      > parents insist on.
      >
      > Please contact me ASAP.
      >
      > Thanks, Robin Matthews robin-ann@...
      >

      > Be sure to check out the SACC web page at www.ccanthro.org for meeting materials, newsletters, etc.

      John R. Pulskamp
      16714 McKeever Street
      Granada Hills, CA 91344-4237
      U.S.A.

      pulskampjr@...
      (818) 360-9577
    • Ann Kaupp
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 5, 2001
        You might consider the attached publication for high school teaching. We also have a teacher's packet on anthropology that we can send you if you send me your postal address.

        Ann Kaupp, Head
        Anthropology Outreach Office
        Department of Anthropology
        Smithsonian Institution