FW: SOMA first call

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1 11:23 AM
      From: SOMA2000 [SMTP:soma@...]
      <mailto:[SMTP:soma@...]>
      Sent: Saturday, May 29, 1999 7:01 AM
      To: ANTHRO-L@...
      <mailto:ANTHRO-L@...>
      Subject: SOMA first call

      Dear all,

      According to the decision of the plenary session of the last Symposium on
      Mediterranean Archaeology (SOMA), the next event will be hosted by the
      Department of Archaeology and Prehistory of the University of Sheffield.
      The event will take place on the 18th until the 20th of February of the year
      2000. The following message is a copy of the first call and of the
      application form. The original copy of those should be attached.
      For more information please contact us at the following address:
      SOMA 2000
      Research School of Archaeology and Archaeological Science
      The University of Sheffield
      Westcourt, 2 Mappin Street,
      Sheffield S1 4DT
      United Kingdom

      fax: + 44 - 114 - 2727347
      email: <soma@... <mailto:soma@...> >

      You can also visit our web site, although a great part of it is still under
      construction (http://usit.shef.ac.uk/~soma <http://usit.shef.ac.uk/~soma> )
      We apologise for any cross posting and we hope to see as many of you as
      possible at Sheffield.
      On behalf of the SOMA Committee
      Giorgos Vavouranakis

      S O M A 2 0 0 0
      SYMPOSIUM ON MEDITERRANEAN ARCHAEOLOGY
      FOURTH ANNUAL MEETING OF POST-GRADUATE RESEARCHERS
      FRIDAY 18TH - SUNDAY 20TH FEBRUARY 2000
      THE UNIVERSITY OF SHEFFIELD
      Department of Archaeology & Prehistory
      Research School of Archaeology & Archaeological Science
      Sheffield Centre for Aegean Archaeology

      FIRST CALL FOR ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS & POSTERS
      SOMA is a conference designed to provide postgraduate students of
      Mediterranean archaeology with an opportunity to present and discuss work in
      progress with their contemporaries. The informal setting and wide variety of
      topics and approaches have combined to make the previous meetings at
      Edinburgh and Birmingham a great success. Presentations on any aspect of
      Mediterranean archaeology may take the form of a read paper of either 10 or
      20 minutes length, or of a poster.

      DEADLINE FOR ABSTRACTS: 29TH NOVEMBER 1999

      SOMA 2000
      Research School of Archaeology and Archaeological Science
      THE UNIVERSITY OF SHEFFIELD
      WESTCOURT, 2 MAPPIN STREET
      Sheffield S1 4DT
      email: <soma@... <mailto:soma@...> >.
      Web page: http://usit.shef.ac.uk/~soma <http://usit.shef.ac.uk/~soma>

      NOTE ON OUR EMBLEM :We have chosen
      Aineias/Aeneas carrying his father Anchises as a symbol for SOMA2000.
      According to tradition, Aineias and his family travelled throughout the
      Mediterranean, between European and African shores, after their escape from
      the pillaging of Troy. Thus Aineias with his father represent not only the
      connections between Mediterranean traditions, which transcend modern
      national and continental boundaries, but they also remind us of some ways in
      which people living in antiquity would have understood their own history:
      ancestry, memory and monuments, the abandonment of old homes and the
      founding of new ones.

      There are no strict thematic parameters to the conference, but we would like
      to propose some guidelines for participants to think about when composing
      their presentations.
      * Studying material culture: applications, implications and
      potential
      * The present past: Museums, heritage management, history
      and role of the discipline
      * Power, complexity and change
      * Social and natural environment
      * Archaeology of death
      * In the field: Recent developments in excavation projects and
      techniques
      * Archaeology and identity: gender, ethnicity, group / categories
      * Interdisciplinary approaches to archaeology:anthropology,
      ethnography, sociology, history, classics, science

      Apart from the above topics, we will welcome any presentations, as long as
      they aim to contribute to the understanding of Mediterranean
      archaeology, either in terms of material or in method. No differentiation is
      made between levels of Post-graduate or
      Post-doctoral research. Please send abstracts of no more than 150 words to
      SOMA 2000
      The University of Sheffield
      Research School of
      Archaeology & Archaeological Science
      Westcourt, 2 Mappin Street
      Sheffield S1 4DT
      UNITED KINGDOM
      fax: (+44) - 114 272 7347
      email <soma@... <mailto:soma@...> >

      For more information, please contact us at the
      above address or refer to our Web page <http://usit.shef.ac.uk/~soma
      <http://usit.shef.ac.uk/~soma> >
      DEADLINE FOR ABSTRACTS: 29TH NOVEMBER 1999
      Conference fees: Waged=�18 Students/unwaged=�12 Academics=�35 (Cheques
      to be made payable to the University of Sheffield)

      APPLICATION FORM
      NAME:
      ADDRESS:
      TEL: