- ... From: firstname.lastname@example.org [mailto:email@example.com] Sent: Monday, July 02, 2001 10:24 AM To:Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2001View Source
FW: 7/2/2001 Chronicle Report on Community Colleges
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2001 10:24 AM
Subject: 7/2/2001 Chronicle Report on Community Colleges
The Chronicle of Higher Education's
Weekly Report on COMMUNITY COLLEGES
Here is news of interest to community colleges from our July 6
issue. The Web addresses refer to the online versions of the
* WHO PAYS? Colleges and state agencies are divided over
responsibility for the costs of helping students with
--> SEE http://chronicle.com/weekly/v47/i43/43a01901.htm
* NEW LEADER FOR OCR: President Bush has picked a critic of
affirmative action to lead the Education Department's Office
for Civil Rights.
--> SEE http://chronicle.com/weekly/v47/i43/43a02001.htm
* GUBERNATORIAL INFLUENCE: The National Governors Association
released two reports that strongly endorse distance education.
--> SEE http://chronicle.com/weekly/v47/i43/43a03102.htm
* ALTERING THE REGULATIONS: Proposed changes in federal
student-aid rules were praised at a House of Representatives
--> SEE http://chronicle.com/weekly/v47/i43/43a03103.htm
* TURNING THE PAIGE? Rumors are circulating that the U.S.
education secretary, Roderick R. Paige, is considering leaving
--> SEE http://chronicle.com/weekly/v47/i43/43a01902.htm
* SUNSHINE JOB: Gov. Jeb Bush gave Florida's top education
position to the state senator who had sponsored legislation to
revamp the state's education system.
--> SEE http://chronicle.com/weekly/v47/i43/43a01903.htm
ALSO OF INTEREST TO COMMUNITY COLLEGES:
* TO MARKET, TO MARKET: The University of Washington plans to
offer free, short versions of some of its online courses in an
effort to attract students to the full-length originals.
--> SEE http://chronicle.com/weekly/v47/i43/43a02602.htm
* LINKING UP: A new list offers contact information for the
virtual universities or statewide distance-education
organizations in more than 35 states.
--> SEE http://chronicle.com/weekly/v47/i43/43a02603.htm
Our Career Network has 42 positions available at two-year
colleges, from the pages of The Chronicle.
--> SEE http://chronicle.com/jobs/cc
ANOTHER WAY TO RECRUIT
You can recruit administrators and faculty members 24 hours a
day, seven days a week with a Profile on The Chronicle's Career
Network. To find out more about this invaluable recruitment tool
please get in touch with Rick Plotkin at
rick.plotkin@... or (202) 466-1775.
You can find all of The Chronicle's community-college news on our
special Web page just for community colleges at:
And for all the news of higher education, be sure to visit our
home page at:
If you want to change the address at which you receive this
e-mail message, change which messages you receive, change or reset
your password, or make other changes in your account information,
you can do so online at:
If you have other problems or questions, please send a message to:
Copyright (c) 2001 The Chronicle of Higher Education, Inc.