FW: [ANTHRO-L] Bookings now due for NVIVO Training

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 11, 2001

      From: Lydia Martens [mailto:L.D.Martens@...]
      Sent: Monday, June 11, 2001 5:01 AM
      To: ANTHRO-L@...
      Subject: [ANTHRO-L] Bookings now due for NVIVO Training

      My apologies for cross-posting!
      Please circulate this message amongst interested parties

      Bookings are now due for the 2-day NVIVO training, taking place at the University of Durham on 25 and 26 June 2001. Please find details about the event below. Contact the tutor, Dr L Martens (l.d.martens@...) directly for a booking form.

      NVIVO - Two Day Training Event

      25-26 June 2001

      University of Durham

      If you are involved in, or embarking upon, research with qualitative materials, you are no doubt considering whether you should use one of the computer-based applications for assisting you in your work. You may feel that you should, and there are indeed very good reasons for doing so, but the problem may be getting familiar with the software. This can be both time-consuming, and difficult to achieve on your own.

      I offer training in the newest QSR facility: NUD*IST Vivo (also known as NVIVO). The training in intended for researchers and research students who have a basic working knowledge of doing qualitative thinking/analysis work. The sessions will familiarise you with the software in a situation where time is allocated for that specific purpose, and in an environment with others who are there for a similar purpose. The training is organised around small groups of approximately 10 people, and takes place in an IT setting. There will be on-screen illustration of the software's interfaces, the workings of the various software facilities will be illustrated with the use of netsupportschool and a 'real' project, and you will have hands-on access to the software to try the various steps yourself. The sessions are accompanied by worksheets used during training to help you 'trace' the steps outlined. These can be taken away for future reference. The aim is to develop your own project as you go along, so that you have a project 'on the go' when you leave.

      About myself: I am a sociologist with extensive research experience (qualitative and quantitative) and experience in teaching research methods at UG and PG levels. I have working experience with NVIVO and the earlier versions of the QSR software: I currently use NVIVO for a project on gender & consumption, and have worked with N3 on a project on eating out which started in 1995. I have informally trained colleagues in the use of N3, and have trained a group of colleagues and PG students in the use of NVIVO this year.

      Contact details:
      Dr Lydia Martens, Department of Sociology and Social Policy, University of Durham, Elvet Riverside 2, New Elvet, Durham DH1 3JT.
      Tel: 0191 374 4738
      Email: l.d.martens@...

      If you are interested in the training days at the end of June 2001, contact me for further details and an application form. The cost of this session is £250 (academic & public rate) and £350 (commercial rate). I am willing to host training at your institution, also in the N4 and N5 software packages, if there is enough interest and if the IT resources are appropriate. Please contact me to discuss your ideas.