NYTimes Obit

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 28 5:41 AM
      NYTimes Obit

      April 28, 2001
      Richard McGee Morse, Latin America Expert, Is Dead at 78
      By SIMON ROMERO
      Richard McGee Morse, a historian who influenced the field of Latin American studies through his belief that the cultures of Ibero America could help Anglo America understand its own assumptions, died on April 17 in Pétionville, Haiti. He was 78.

      The cause was Alzheimer's disease, said his daughter, Marise Morse-Mahos.
      Mr. Morse was one of the first academics in the United States to offer a nontraditional analysis of Latin America by suggesting, often to the dismay of contemporaries, that English-speaking North America had much to learn from the cultures of Spanish-, Portuguese- and French-speaking countries of the South.

      His most influential work was perhaps "Prospero's Mirror," published in Spanish in 1982 and in Portuguese in 1988, but never entirely in English.

      "For two centuries a North American mirror has been held aggressively to the South, with unsettling consequences," he wrote in the preface. "The time has perhaps come to turn the reflecting surface around. At a moment when Anglo America may be experiencing failure of nerve, it seems timely to set before it the historical experience of Ibero America, not now as a case study in frustrated development but as the living- out of a civilizational option."

      Mr. Morse's interest in Latin America was sparked during a research trip to Cuba in 1942, while he was an undergraduate at Princeton.

      Mr. Morse was born on June 26, 1922, in Summit, N.J., and reared in Connecticut. His forebears were from New England.
      He attended the Hotchkiss School and Princeton. During World War II he served in the Navy in the Pacific, then enrolled in Columbia, earning a Ph.D. in history and teaching there.

      In 1954, he married Emerante de Pradines, the daughter of a prominent family in Haiti, who was studying dance with Martha Graham.

      The Morses moved to Puerto Rico, where Mr. Morse was a founder the Institute of Caribbean Studies.
      His book "From Community to Metropolis: A Biography of São Paulo, Brazil," published in 1958, established him as a pioneering voice on Latin America.

      Mr. Morse taught at Yale from 1962 to 1978. He befriended Fernando Henrique Cardoso, a former left- wing sociologist who became a centrist and is now the president of Brazil.

      From Yale, Mr. Morse went to Stanford, where he taught until 1984, then moved to Washington as secretary of the Latin American program at the Woodrow Wilson Center. In 1993, Mr. Morse was awarded the Order of the Southern Cross for contributions to Brazilian culture, the nation's highest honor for non-Brazilians.

      In addition to his wife and daughter, Mr. Morse is survived by a son, Richard A. Morse, a musician and the proprietor of the Grand Hotel Oloffson in Port-au-Prince, and three grandchildren

      Ann Popplestone

      CCC TLC

      Message 2 of 8 , May 24, 2001
        NYTimes Obit

        May 24, 2001
        Dorothy Burr Thompson, 101, Archaeologist, Is Dead
        By ANAHAD O'CONNOR
        Dr. Dorothy Burr Thompson, a classical archaeologist who was one of the world's leading experts on ancient terra-cotta art, died on May 10 at her home in Hightstown, N.J. She was 101.

        Dr. Thompson researched and wrote extensively on Hellenistic terra-cotta figurines, small statuettes that were ubiquitous in Greece in the second and third centuries B.C. The figurines were traded freely and could be found in almost any Greek household. Archaeologists use them today in describing the culture and taste of the era.

        Under the guidance of Dr. Hetty Goldman, Dr. Thompson worked on excavations in Greece beginning in 1924 at the sites of Phlius and Prosymna in the Peloponnesus and in Boeotia, a province in central Greece where she cataloged pottery at the site of Eutresis.

        In 1934, she joined the staff of the American School of Classical Studies and became the first woman to be appointed a fellow of the excavation in the Agora, or civic center, of ancient Athens. It was there that she met Dr. Homer A. Thompson, assistant director of the Agora excavation, whom she married that same year.

        Working together in Athens, the two were responsible for uncovering famous monuments like the garden in which the Temple of Hephaistos stood and the Odeion, or music hall, of Emperor Augustus's closest friend, Agrippa.

        Beginning in 1950, in a project inspired by her love of gardening, Dr. Thompson reconstructed all 20 acres of the ancient garden and replanted olive, laurel, oleander and poplar trees in the garden.

        Dr. Thompson wrote more than 50 scholarly papers and books on her excavation work, including the book "An Ancient Shopping Center: The Athenian Agora," published in 1971.

        She also helped form the Canadian Classical Association and was a contributing editor of its journal Phoenix. She was acting director of the Royal Ontario Museum of Archaeology in 1946 and went on to hold visiting professorship or lectureship at Bryn Mawr, Princeton and Oberlin and at the University of Sydney.

        In 1972, Dr. Thompson was awarded an honorary doctorate by the College of Wooster in Ohio for her contributions to archaeology, and in 1987 she received the gold medal for distinguished archaeological achievement from the Archaeological Institute of America.

        She received her Ph.D. from Bryn Mawr in 1931, doing her doctoral dissertation on terra cottas from the site of Myrina in Asia Minor. Her bachelor's degree, also from Bryn Mawr, was in classical archaeology and Greek.

        Her husband died last May at 93. Dr. Thompson is survived by her three daughters, Hope Kerr of Cedar Grove, N.J., Hilary Kenyon of West Hartford, Conn., and Pamela Sinkler- Todd of Philadelphia; eight grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren.

        Ann Popplestone

        CCC TLC

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 12 5:46 AM
          NYTimes Obit

          April 10, 2002
          W.A. Stewart, Linguist Who Studied Ebonics, Dies at 71
          By WOLFGANG SAXON

          William Alexander Stewart, a Hawaiian-born Scot who grew up multilingual in California and became an authority on creole languages, in particular Gullah, the West African-flavored speech of of the Sea Islands off South Carolina and Georgia, died on March 25 at Columbia-Presbyterian Center in Manhattan. He was 71 and lived in Manhattan.

          The cause was congestive heart failure, according to the City University of New York Graduate Center, where he had been on the faculty since 1973.

          A professor of linguistics, he was an early scholar of what has come to be known as ebonics, the nonstandard English many African-American children hear and learn at home. He explored its grammatical differences and how these can lead to misunderstandings in the classroom.

          Professor Stewart examined and wrote widely about how this creates testing problems for such children. He argued that certain grammatical peculiarities of the dialect, like "he busy," meaning he's busy right now, and "he be busy," meaning he's always busy, make nonstandard English into a separate language.

          Asking its young speakers to express these ideas in standard English simply could not reflect what the pupils intended to say, Professor Stewart argued. He demonstrated that speakers of nonstandard English were, in fact, speaking the remnants of a creole, melding languages of African slaves and the English of American settlers.

          Creoles are languages resulting from contact between two different tongues, one of them usually being English, French, Spanish, Dutch or Portuguese. Professor Stewart's particular fascination lay with Gullah, the speech of a dwindling number of rural African-Americans along the Carolina coastal delta, down to the Florida border.

          The Gullah "I en bin dey, yall know," for example, translates to "I have not been there, you know." Gullah, a word derived perhaps from Angola, draws to some degree on a mix of West African languages like Ewe, Ibo and Yoruba.

          Born in Honolulu to Scottish immigrants, William Stewart grew up speaking four languages: English, Spanish, Portuguese and Hawaiian. He was an Army translator in Frankfurt and Paris in 1952 and graduated in 1955 from the University of California, Los Angeles, where he also received a master's degree in 1958.

          After study as a Fulbright scholar at the University of Pernambuco, Brazil, he was recruited as a staff linguist by the Center for Applied Linguistics in Washington in 1960, a job entailing much travel in the Caribbean and Africa. By then he was fluent also in German, French, Dutch, Wolof, Haitian, Papiamento and Gullah, a dialect born in 16th-century Barbados.

          In 1965 he proposed that it was not the vocabulary or pronunciation of the African-American vernacular but its grammar that stumped some children with reading problems. Three years later, he became co-director of the Education Study Center in Washington, which helped ghetto children with their reading.

          Early in his career, he lectured on Portuguese and Spanish at Georgetown University, taught at Johns Hopkins University and joined the faculty of Teachers College, Columbia University, in 1968.

          He started teaching at CUNY in 1973. The Graduate Center named him a full professor in 1984. At CUNY he taught pidgins and creoles, phonetics, sociolinguistics, applied linguistics and forensic linguistics.

          Professor Stewart leaves no immediate survivors.

        • Day, Kathleen M.
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 16 8:57 AM
            I will be changing positions so could you please send me mail to my home
            rather than work address. Thanks, Kathy Day, snowkat@...

            Message 5 of 8 , May 2, 2002
              NYTimes Obit

              May 1, 2002
              Gordon R. Willey, Archaeologist of Pre-Columbian America, Dies at 89
              By WOLFGANG SAXON

              Dr. Gordon Randolph Willey, a Harvard archaeologist who broadened the study of vanished societies from the examination of the tombs of the elite to include the economic and social lives of ordinary people, died on Sunday in Cambridge, Mass. He was 89.

              A prolific scholar of pre-Columbian America, Dr. Willey pioneered what is known as settlement pattern studies, an approach he applied methodically in the Viru Valley on the northern coast of Peru in the 1940's.

              He investigated the artifacts of households and public works to open a new window on a society of long ago. The remains of its ancient settlements, he found, reflected their inhabitants' use of their environment and their relations with their neighbors.

              That, in turn, permitted the anthropologists of today to reconstruct the economic, political and social organization of ancient peoples.

              Dr. Willey, who was at Harvard for 36 years, distinguished himself with meticulously documented research at Maya archaeological sites in Belize, Guatemala and Honduras. He made substantive and theoretical contributions to the archaeology of the Americas and to comparative studies with the old civilizations of other continents.

              Before setting his sights on the Viru Valley, he reported important findings about the history of the Southeastern United States, using innovative methods to analyze pottery and reconstruct ancient cultures.

              Born in Chariton, Iowa, Gordon Willey graduated in 1935 from the University of Arizona and was selected for Phi Beta Kappa. He received a master's from Arizona the next year and a Ph.D. from Columbia University in 1942.

              Early in his career he worked for the Smithsonian.
              His book "Archeology of the Florida Gulf Coast" (1949), became an instant classic and remains in the backpacks of archaeologists working there. A reprint edition is now available.

              More than a dozen of Dr. Willey's books and monographs are still in print. Their topics include excavations at Seibal, Guatemala; the archaeology of Southern Mesoamerica; and the early classic period in the Maya Lowlands.

              With Jeremy A. Sabloff he wrote "A History of American Archeology," which scholars consider a major work in the field, defending his settlement pattern approach to excavations. Its third edition was issued in 1993 and remains in print. Some of his writing was devoted to archaeological mystery novels, the first of which, "Selena," was republished by Harlequin Books in 1995.

              Dr. Willey was named Harvard's first Charles P. Bowditch professor of Central American and Mexican archaeology in 1950. He served as department chairman later in the 1950's, became Bowditch professor emeritus in 1984 but continued as a senior professor of anthropology until 1987.

              He was a member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and the National Academy of Sciences, and he was a past president of the American Archaeological Society.

              Dr. Willey is survived by two daughters, Alexandra Gurelnick and Winston Adler, and five grandchildren. His wife, Katharine Whaley Willey, died last year after 63 years of marriage.

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 20, 2003
                NYTimes Obit

                October 19, 2003
                Beatrice Whiting, 89, Expert on Culture's Role in Personality, Dies
                By STUART LAVIETES
                Dr. Beatrice Blyth Whiting, an anthropologist at Harvard and an expert on the influence of culture on personality, died on Sept. 29 in Cambridge, Mass. She was 89.

                Dr. Whiting and her husband, Dr. John W. M. Whiting, a fellow Harvard anthropologist, traveled extensively to study parental practices and child behavior, hoping to identify aspects of human development found in all cultures.

                In 1954, she and her husband began the Six Cultures Study of Socialization, a project that involved field studies in Mexico, India, Kenya, Okinawa, the Philippines and the United States. Their work with the project resulted in many scholarly articles.

                Twelve years later, they founded the Child Development Research Unit at the University of Nairobi to conduct more intensive studies in Kenya.

                In the 1980's, after their retirement from Harvard, the Whitings turned their attention to older children, directing the Comparative Adolescence Project.

                Dr. Whiting developed a particular interest in the development of gender roles, a subject she covered in her 1988 book, "Children of Different Worlds: The Formation of Social Behavior," written with Dr. Carolyn P. Edwards. Her book on the lives of Kenyan women, "Ngecha: A Kenyan Community in a Time of Rapid Social Change," also written with Dr. Edwards, is to be published later this year.

                Dr. Whiting, who joined Harvard's faculty in 1952, became one of the first women at the university to receive tenure when she was named professor of education at the graduate school of education in 1974. She was a graduate of Bryn Mawr and received a doctorate in anthropology from Yale in 1943.

                She lived in Cambridge and in Chilmark on Martha's Vineyard.
                Beatrice Blyth Whiting was born on Staten Island on April 14, 1914. She is survived by her daughter, Susan Whiting of Chilmark and Stuart, Fla. Her husband died in 1999.

                Ann Popplestone

                CCC Metro TLC

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 20, 2004
                  NYTimes Obit

                  January 20, 2004
                  Paul I. Abell, 80, Professor Who Found Early Biped Footprints, Dies
                  By WOLFGANG SAXON
                  Paul I. Abell, a chemistry professor who on a field trip in 1978 at Laetoli in East Africa came across the footprints of ancestral bipeds made famous by Mary Leakey, died Jan. 12 at his home in Kingston, R.I. He was 80.

                  The cause was prostate cancer, his family said.
                  Dr. Abell taught organic chemistry at the University of Rhode Island for 40 years, retiring in 1990. His research focused on the chemistry of free radicals, the analysis of moon rocks and paleoclimatology, in which he examined snail fossils to determine climatic changes.

                  He regularly spent sabbaticals far afield, in Britain and Egypt. For 17 summers, he helped the Leakey family of anthropologists-paleontologists look for evidence of early hominids in Tanzania.

                  Working with Mary Leakey's team at Laetoli in 1978, he chanced upon a footprint that proved to be part of the famous 80-foot trail of hominid footprints left in hardened volcanic ash dated at 3.6 million to 3.7 million years old. On having them excavated, Leakey concluded that two individual bipeds had made the tracks, with possibly with a third stepping in the prints of the biggest of the three. She also concluded that the prints established that human ancestors had begun walking upright much earlier than previously thought.

                  Paul Irving Abell was born in Pelham, Mass. He served in the Army Signal Corps in Europe and Japan in World War II and graduated from the University of New Hampshire in 1948. After he received his Ph.D. in organic chemistry at the University of Wisconsin in 1951, he started as an instructor at the University of Rhode Island. Over the years, he was a Fulbright lecturer in Egypt and went on research expeditions in paleontology to the Omo River and Lake Rudolf regions of East Africa for the National Geographic Society.

                  Surviving are three daughters, Susan, of Winchester, Mass.; Erin Gallagher of San Francisco; and Octavia Abell of Wakefield, R.I.; and a sister, Jane A. Coon of Washington.

                  Ann Popplestone

                  CCC Metro TLC

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 23, 2004
                    NYTimes Obit

                    February 20, 2004
                    Jean Rouch, an Ethnologist and Filmmaker, Dies at 86
                    By ALAN RIDING
                    PARIS, Feb. 19 — Jean Rouch, a French explorer, ethnologist and film director who played a significant role in forging the cinéma-vérité style, died on Wednesday night in a car crash in the west central African nation of Niger, the French Embassy there said. He was 86.

                    Mr. Rouch (pronounced roosh) was attending a film festival in Niger, where he first worked as a civil engineer more than 60 years ago. Reuters reported from Niamey, the Niger capital, that Mr. Rouch's wife, Jocylene Lamothe, the Niger filmmaker Moustapha Alassane and a Niger actor, Damouré Zika, were also injured in the accident.

                    With a movie career that stretched back more than half a century and included about 120 films, Mr. Rouch had a special place in French cinema. His best-known films, "The Mad Masters" and "I, a Black," made in the 1950's, presented not only a new ethnographic view of Africa to French audiences, but also demonstrated to new wave directors like Jean-Luc Godard what could be done with a hand-held camera.

                    Although he also ran the Cinémathèque Française in Paris from 1987 to 1991, Africa was always Mr. Rouch's first love. African myths and rituals were the focus of many of his documentaries, but he also occasionally turned them into fictional material for feature films.

                    Born in Paris into a family of scientists (his father directed the Oceanographic Museum of Monaco), he studied humanities and civil engineering. Drafted into the French Army in 1939, he avoided capture when France fell in June 1940. The next year he was sent to Niger, then a French colony, to work as an engineer.

                    During the 1940's he explored Niger, traveling down the Niger River by canoe and crossing the country on horseback. At one moment in those years he witnessed what he described as a "marvelous and horrible" funeral ceremony. "I told myself," he later recounted, "this can't be described in words, it has to be filmed." In 1947, using a borrowed camera, he made his first documentary, "In the Country of the Black Magicians."

                    Although much of his life's work focused on Africa, he also made documentaries and feature films about France, including "Chronicle of a Summer" (1960), with the sociologist Edgar Morin, and the 1965 film "Paris Vu Par . . . ," made with several new wave directors, including Mr. Godard, Claude Chabrol and Eric Rohmer.

                    While in recent years his movies went largely unnoticed by a larger public, Mr. Rouch remained prolific, making about a half dozen movies in the 1990's. Recently he campaigned publicly against plans to disperse the ethnographic works at the Musée de l'Homme to boost the collection of a new museum of primitive art, to be called the Musée du Quai Branly, created on orders of President Jacques Chirac.

                    Ann Popplestone

                    CCC Metro TLC