FW: TOURBUS BONUS -- 23 MAY 1999 -- ACSES / BOOKFINDER / ISBN.NU

    Message 1 of 1 , May 25, 1999
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Patrick Douglas Crispen [SMTP:crispen@...]
      <mailto:[SMTP:crispen@...]>
      Sent: Sunday, May 23, 1999 1:58 AM
      To: TOURBUS@... <mailto:TOURBUS@...>
      Subject: TOURBUS BONUS -- 23 MAY 1999 -- ACSES / BOOKFINDER / ISBN.NU

      [ Tip: Use a monospace font like Courier when reading this message ]
      _________ ____________ ________ __________ _____________ ___ _
      / | / | | / | \
      | A-LOCK! / | \
      |__________|__________/__________|__________|___________/ |
      \
      / /______|----\
      | The Internet is an open highway. Nothing is private, |//////|

      |including your email, unless it's protected with A-LOCK.|//////|

      | Very strong encryption yet SIMPLE to use. Works with |//////|

      | all popular email packages. Compact size, fast |//////|

      | download - you can be using A-LOCK in 2 minutes. |//////|

      | http://www.a-lock.com <http://www.a-lock.com>
      |//////| |

      |//////| |
      | To get your FREE copy of A-LOCK click here: |//////|

      | http://www.a-lock.com/A-Lock.exe
      <http://www.a-lock.com/A-Lock.exe> (US Residents Only) |//////| |
      \________________________________________________________|______|____|
      / \ / \ / \
      \___/ \___/ T h e I n t e r n e t T o u r B u s \___/
      Free Subscription Info and Archives at http://www.TOURBUS.com
      <http://www.TOURBUS.com>
      TODAY'S BONUS TOURBUS STOP(S):
      ACSES / BOOKFINDER / ISBN.NU TODAY'S BONUS TOURBUS ADDRESSES:
      http://www.acses.com/ <http://www.acses.com/>
      http://www.acses.com/music.html <http://www.acses.com/music.html>
      http://www.acses.com/movies.html <http://www.acses.com/movies.html>
      http://www.bookfinder.com/ <http://www.bookfinder.com/>
      http://ISBN.NU/ <http://ISBN.NU/>

      Howdy, y'all. Your fearless bus driver was looking for a way to avoid
      studying for the Microsoft Networking Essentials exam, so I decided to send
      you a bonus TOURBUS post. :)
      TOURBUS-even bonus TOURBUS posts like this one-remains free thanks to the
      financial support of our sponsors. I want to thank the folks at "A-Lock"
      for making today's post possible. Please take a moment to visit today's
      sponsor to thank them for keeping TOURBUS on the road!

      ---------
      ACSES.COM
      ---------

      On Friday, I told you about AddAll.com [ http://www.addall.com
      <http://www.addall.com> ], the
      free, online bookstore search engine. Well, thanks to the help of
      several alert TOURBUS riders, your fearless bus driver has some more
      bookstore search engines for you to check out. The first is called
      "Acses," and you can find it at
      http://www.acses.com/ <http://www.acses.com/> </a>.

      Key in a title, author, ISBN, or keyword, and Acses will compare prices from
      40 different online bookstores. Best of all, unlike AddAll.com, the results
      from a search at Acses actually contain a BUNCH of information. For
      example, a search for Tom Clancy's book "Rainbow Six" yields 10 hits, and
      each hit tells you:
      1. The book's title;
      2. The book's author;
      3. The book's publishing date;
      4. The book's publisher;
      5. The book's binding (in other words, how the book is bound-
      usually either "trade paper" for paperback books or "trade cloth" for
      hardcover books);
      6. The book's ISBN (which either stands for "international
      standard book number" or "integrated services bigital network"-I forget);
      and
      7. The book's list price.

      By way of comparison, an initial search at AddAll.com only shows you the
      book's title, author, and ISBN.
      Once you find the book you are looking for-in the case of "Rainbow Six," it
      is the third hit on the page-just click on its link. This takes you to a
      page that:
      * Shows the book's cover;
      * Restates some of the information you saw on the search page;
      * Shows you some reviews of the book (if they are available); and
      * Displays a "Compare Prices for this Book" form that is remarkably
      similar to the form at AddAll.com.

      To actually find the prices at each of the online bookstores:
      * Pick the location where you want the book to be shipped;
      * Pick the currency unit you want to use;
      * Pick a "search time limit" (between 20 and 40
      seconds); and
      * Click on the "Start Price Comparison" button.

      The top of the next page will show you (once again) the basic information
      about your book, including its list price (in other words, its cover price).
      Scroll down the page to see a price comparison table. This table shows you
      the total price from each of up to 40 different online bookstores, including
      shipping.
      When comparing prices, make sure to consider not only the price but also how
      long it will take the book to be delivered to you. For example, for
      US$23.37 I can have Rainbow Six delivered to me via snail mail in about 16
      to 45 days (no wonder they call it "snail" mail!). For an additional 10
      cents, I can have the same bookstore deliver Rainbow Six to me in 2 to 10
      days via UPS. That first price may be cheaper, but the second one is a
      better bargain.
      Besides being a well-designed site, Acses is also a pretty substantial
      operation. They recently received funding from Bertelsmann Ventures, the
      independent venture capital fund of the Bertelsmann Group. Bertelsmann AG
      is the third largest media company in the world, but most Americans know the
      company best for its music division: BMG Entertainment (whose artists
      include Aretha Franklin, Arturo Toscanini, the Backstreet Boys, David Bowie,
      and even the late Elvis Presley). [Give yourself 5 bonus points if you
      actually know who Toscanini is, and 10 bonus points if you can name the
      orchestra he conducted during World War II.]
      I don't think it comes as a shock to anyone that shortly after Acses
      received funding from Bertelsmann, Access expanded their service to
      include comparison shopping for both music and movies. To compare
      music prices offered by the biggest online music stores, just click on
      the "music" tab at the top of Acses' homepage, or point your Web
      browser to
      ">
      http://www.acses.com/music.html <http://www.acses.com/music.html> </a>.

      You can search by album title, artist, or keyword, and the process is
      identical to searching for a book. Acses' music search engine is great for
      contemporary music searches, but HORRIBLE for classical music searches. In
      fact, I couldn't get a single hit for any of the following search terms:
      "Overture 1812," "1812 Overture," "1812," "March Slave," or even "Karajan."
      That's just plain sad. [By the way, if anyone knows where I can find a CD
      copy of Karajan's DG recording of the 1812, let me know ... I can't find it
      ANYWHERE!]
      Acses also offers a movie search that compares prices for both videos
      and DVDs. You can find that search engine by clicking on the "movies"
      tab at the top of Acses' homepage, or by pointing your Web browser to
      ">
      http://www.acses.com/movies.html <http://www.acses.com/movies.html> </a>.

      You can search for movies by title, director, star, or keyword. Be careful
      when ordering a video or DVD online, though. While the Net is
      international, television standards are not. Before you purchase a
      videotape online, make sure it is recorded in a format that will play on
      your VCR and TV. And before you purchase a DVD online, make sure it encoded
      to play in your region of the world (to prevent video piracy, DVDs purchased
      in one part of the world-like France-will not play on DVD players in another
      part of the world-like Canada).
      Unless you really know the difference between the NTSC, PAL, and SECAM
      formats, your best bet is to only purchase video tapes and DVDs from online
      merchants located in your own country.

      -------------------------
      BUT WAIT ... THERE'S MORE
      -------------------------

      Shortly after I wrote about AddAll.com, I received a bunch of emails from
      your fellow TOURBUS passengers suggesting that I write about Acses.com. I
      also received suggestions for a few other online bookstore search engines,
      including:
      BookFinder.com
      http://www.bookfinder.com/ <http://www.bookfinder.com/>
      This search engine lets you search through seven online bookstores
      including Amazon.com and Powell's. Their database may be small, but
      BookFinder is great if you are looking for used, rare, and antiquarian
      books.
      ISBN.NU http://ISBN.NU/ <http://ISBN.NU/> Located in the country of
      Niue, ISBN.NU uses a system in which 8 concurrent searches happen in under
      15 seconds.
      Your best bet is try all of these search engines out and see which ones you
      like the best.

      --------------------------
      BACKUP ... BEEP-BEEP-BEEP!
      --------------------------

      I goofed ... again. In my 6 May 1999 post on the Top Ten Web Mistakes, I
      misspelled spell Jakob Nielson's name. I apologize.
      I do have some good news to share with you, though. Back in my 6 August
      1998 post I asked:
      A couple of years ago I saw a TV show where museum officials covered
      the surfaces of great paintings with a rubberized epoxy. The epoxy was then
      peeled off, giving the officials a negative of the artist's brush strokes.
      This negative could then be used to make hyper-realistic copies of that
      painting.
      Does anyone know more about this process or where you can purchase
      these copies? I really think this would make a great TOURBUS stop. :)
      Thanks to the help of a TOURBUS rider, I was able to find the folks who make
      and sell these replicas, and we will be talking about their Web site in a
      future bonus edition of TOURBUS. :)
      TODAY'S BONUS TOURBUS STOP(S):
      ACSES / BOOKFINDER / ISBN.NU TODAY'S BONUS TOURBUS ADDRESSES:
      http://www.acses.com/ <http://www.acses.com/>
      http://www.acses.com/music.html <http://www.acses.com/music.html>
      http://www.acses.com/movies.html <http://www.acses.com/movies.html>
      http://www.bookfinder.com/ <http://www.bookfinder.com/>
      http://ISBN.NU/ <http://ISBN.NU/>

      ---------------------------------
      TODAY'S SOUTHERN WORD OF THE WEEK
      ---------------------------------

      'LANNA (noun). The capital of Georgia.
      Usage: "Ya see them 'limpics in 'lanna a few years back?"
      [Special thanks to an anonymous TOURBUS rider for today's wurd]
      You can find all of the old Southern Words of the day at
      <http://netsquirrel.com/crispen/word.html> ">
      http://netsquirrel.com/crispen/word.html
      <http://netsquirrel.com/crispen/word.html> </a>

      =====================[ Tourbus Rider Information ]===================
      The Internet Tourbus - U.S. Library of Congress ISSN
      #1094-2238
      Copyright 1995-99, Rankin & Crispen - All rights reserved
      Archives on the Web at http://www.TOURBUS.com <http://www.TOURBUS.com>
      Do You Like Tourbus? Recommend It and You Could Win a Palm Pilot!
      <http://www.recommend-it.com/l.z.e?s=194773> "> CLICK </a>
      Join: Send SUBSCRIBE TOURBUS Your Name to LISTSERV@...
      <mailto:LISTSERV@...>
      Leave: Send SIGNOFF TOURBUS to LISTSERV@...
      <mailto:LISTSERV@...>
      Send this copy to 3 friends and tell them to hop on the Bus!

      .~~~. ))
      (\__/) .' ) )) Patrick Douglas Crispen
      {o_, \ { crispen@...
      <mailto:crispen@...>
      / , , ) \ http://www.netsquirrel.com/
      <http://www.netsquirrel.com/>
      '~ '-' \ } )) AOL Instant Messenger: Squirrel2K
      _( ( )_.'
      '---..{____} Warning: squirrels.