Re: [SACC-L] FW: [ANTHRO-L] MEDIA & ANTHROPOLOGY CFP

  • dkrass@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 29 7:57 PM
      Jay Gabriel,
      I don't know if this is too literal an interpretation of your session or not,
      but I'd be interested in learning if this topic would be of interest to you.
      In l999 the Society for American Archaeology and several other organizations
      sponsored a national opinion poll on what American understand archaeology to
      be, how they learn about it, and what kinds of values they put on it. One of
      the most conclusive findings was that Americans learn about archaeology from
      the mass media--television, newspapers, popular magazines. Educational
      settings come in a weak second, and avocational activities barely register
      among the public.
      This information will not come as a complete surprise to anyone who has been
      conscious during the last quarter century, but it behooves the profession to
      look more closely at how we communicate with the public, and what it is we
      want the public to think of us.

      Would a paper on this topic fit in with what you are organizing? If so, I'd
      be happy to send you an abstract immediately. I have already given a paper
      including some of this material at the Middle Atlantic Archaeological
      Conference. I am the vice -chair of SAA's Public Education Committee, which
      sponsored the poll, I was the SAA staff eduction manager during the poll
      project, and I am also a member of AAA's Anthropology Education Commission.

      If this doesn't fit in with your concept of a session, don't hesitate to say
      so. But from my point of view, this would be a good venue to reach people
      beyond the usual "archaeology educators" and a good opportunity to raise
      philosophical questions about what anthropological knowledge is worth--not to
      mention suitable for--sharing.

      looking forward to hearing from you,
      dorothy krass

      In a message dated 3/29/01 8:39:49 PM, ann.popplestone@... writes: