ethical inquiry response part 2

    Message 1 of 2 , May 19, 1999
      Below are my thoughts/answers (in CAPS for easy sorting, not because I
      intend to shout) about the responses I received. Please, share any
      thoughts or further inputs that you might have.

      2 brief replies said that the procedure described would be sound
      ethically.THANKS FOR THE HELP.

      1 respondent said the idea was sound, but cautioned that themes and patterns
      were more likely to come out of the observation than were "truth[s]"
      VERY TRUE, THANKS AGAIN

      1 said that "lurking" (Internet slang for reading but not participating) was
      OK and made a comparison to a student going to a homeless shelter and
      observing with a "don't ask, don't tell" approach. A second reader called
      that "sophistry". THIS KIND OF DISAGREEMENT WAS WHY I ASKED.

      1 correctly advised me that the Hawthorne effect was a better social-science
      reference than was the Heisenberg
      principle while a second disputed the reality of the Hawthorne effect.
      2 different readers questioned whether the observed list participants would
      care if the observer was there or not (see above).
      WE'LL SEE IF ANY STUDENTS REPORT ANY APPARENT CHANGE OF BEHAVIOR IF THEY
      REVEAL THEMSELVES.

      2 readers approved of bringing up the ethical question . One of those made
      suggestions about how to explicitly incorporate ethical training into the
      class .
      ANOTHER GOOD POINT, I'LL RECOMMEND TO THE ACTUAL INSTRUCTOR THAT A STRONG
      POINT BE MADE

      1 respondent wanted to know why I was bothering and suggested using HRAF.
      THE IDEA IS TO ALLOW THE STUDENTS TO OBSERVE AN INTERACTING GROUP. ONE OF
      THE ADVANTAGES OF USING LISTS IS THAT THE DATA ARE LITERALLY DELIVERED TO
      YOUR DESKTOP. COMMUNITY COLLEGE STUDENTS ARE OFTEN EMPLOYED ADULTS WHO NEED
      TO PACK AS MUCH LEARNING INTO AS SMALL AN AMOUNT OF TIME AS WE CAN POSSIBLY
      ARRANGE. TRADITIONAL LONG-TERM PARTICIPANT OBSERVATION IS NOT REALLY
      FEASIBLE. WE'LL SEE HOW THIS WORKS.

      4 readers thought I was referring to lurking on Anthro-L
      specifically.

      TRUTHFULLY, THAT HAD NEVER EVEN CROSSED MY MIND. THE ASSIGNMENT WILL BE TO
      SUBSCRIBE TO A PROFESSIONAL LIST, A RECREATIONAL LIST, A NEED-BASED LIST AND
      ONE FOR TRADITIONAL/TRIBAL FOLKS WHO ARE (OBVIOUSLY, IF THEY ARE ON THE
      NET) IN TRANSITION.

      I DOUBT THAT I WOULD RECOMMEND ANTHRO-L AS A CHOICE FOR A COLLECTION OF
      SOPHOMORES TO TRY AND ANALYZE.

      3 mis-understood the original post, at least to some degree (I'm not sure if
      that was entirely my fault or not, but it reminded me to be careful when it
      comes time to instruct the students on procedures). 1 of those thought I
      was asking whether or not I should lurk on a list set up for the students.

      IF SUCH A LIST IS SET UP, THE INSTRUCTOR WILL SUBSCRIBE AND BE KNOWN TO HAVE
      DONE SO.

      1 thought I was intending to lurk on the same list(s) as the students. THAT
      SOUNDS LIKE A QUICK ROUTE TO A CRASHED MAIL BOX. SPOT-CHECKING SEEMS LIKE A
      GOOD IDEA, THOUGH.

      1 thought I meant to collect Anthro-L data and professionally publish it. I
      got a somewhat stern warning about getting permission to quote, with or
      without identifiers. AGAIN, THAT HAD NEVER CROSSED MY MIND. BY
      "WRITE-UP'' I MEANT THE STUDENTS' FINAL REPORT FOR GRADING. LIKE MOST
      COMMUNITY COLLEGE FACULTY, WE DON'T GET TO DO MUCH ORIGINAL RESEARCH
      (UNFORTUNATELY), AND MY SPECIALTY IS PHYSICAL, ANYWAY. I'M JUST HELPING
      WITH THE PLANNING BECAUSE I'M ALSO THE DEPARTMENT TECHIE. IF THIS PANS OUT
      THERE MAY BE A TEACHING-METHODS PAPER IN THE FUTURE, BUT I WOULD NOT EXPECT
      ANYTHING ELSE.

      2 readers offered technical suggestions. 1 suggested using the archives
      while a second suggested using newsgroups and chat

      THE PLAN IS TO SUGGEST USING ARCHIVES IF A GIVEN LIST HAS ONE. MANY DO NOT.

      NEWSGROUPS THROUGH DEJANEWS ARE CERTAINLY A POSSIBILITY AND ANY STUDENT
      WHO COMES IN WITH ENOGH BACKGROUND TO SUGGEST THEM AS A DATA SOURCE CAN
      PROBABLY DO SO.

      SAME THING WITH CHAT. MANY OF OUR STUDENTS ARE DEPENDENT ON COLLEGE
      COMPUTER-FACILITY EQUIPMENT AND WE HAD TO RAISE THE FIREWALL TO A
      PROHIBITIVE HEIGHT. THE VOLUME OF CHATTERS AT THE CAMPUS OPEN LAB WHERE I
      WORK CRASHED THE ENTIRE COLLEGE'S NETWORK. IF A STUDENT KNOWS ABOUT CHAT
      AND HAS ACCESS TO A SUITABLE MACHINE, I'M SURE THAT THEY WOULD BE TOLD TO GO
      FOR IT.

      Thanks again for all your help!!!
      Message 2 of 2 , May 21, 1999
        Involving students in the ethical questions and alternative responses to
        them is a great idea for the class. We all need to think about the
        differences involved in ethical questions in various settings: practice in
        different settings, traditional fieldwork, teaching, and in different media!