9044RE: [SACC-L] SACC Annual Report

  • Nina Brown
    Jan 6, 2014
      Hello,

      It sounds like many if not all of us are feeling the pressure of the
      "graduation rate" mandate which as others have pointed out is funded by many
      heavy hitting foundations like Gates and leads to a lot of finger pointing
      about the "failure" of community colleges. We talk about this all the time
      at my CC and have had some success in our state (Maryland) with convincing
      elected officials that the "completion rate" as measured by AA degrees
      awarded PLUS the transfer rate PLUS the number of certificates
      (sub-associate level) is a more appropriate way to measure CCs based on
      their unique mission.

      On another topic, when I first saw reports about the higher completion rates
      in the for-profit colleges, I was shocked and did some digging into the
      federal statistics. Although I have not made it my lifetime work, I think
      that conclusion is wrong. Some kinds of for-profit colleges do have higher
      graduation rates than the average CC (think small private technical/trade
      schools). But all of the big for-profits have abysmal records that no one
      should envy. University of Phoenix has single digit graduation rates for the
      AA (in 3 years) and the BA (in 6 years). Meanwhile their AA program costs
      students $40,000.

      Whenever I see articles touting the success of for-profits compared to
      community colleges I figure it's either a reporter who did not take the time
      to get to the nuance in the data or a lightly disguised infomercial for the
      vast and lucrative for-profit sector.

      Nina