9039Re: [SACC-L] SACC Annual Report

    Jan 6, 2014
      Yes Diane, I too am counted as a ‘failure’ in that I never took an Associate’s degree, simply transferred for a Bachelor’s degree...typical ‘bad science’ research fueled by Gates and other well-intentioned billionaire ideas with yes-men flunkies in ‘educational research’ like Mark Milliron, who string along a “data driven” plan to fit the going acronym...”achieve the dream”, “percentage of graduates”, are only the last of a long line of wasted resources and dangerously bad social science...faculty are not even consulted unless they buy in upfront. Goal-oriented planning in education is supportable if we encourage and help students form their own short and long-term goals...associates degree is only one of those goals and often not involved. How many two year tech and vocational programs require the actual degree?  Perhaps some added it, but it was not included in many of the programs when I was dept. head...
      A second serious problem in the ‘bad’ research going on related to cc’s is longitudinal limits...when this trend started I had been consulting for AAA with NSF for community college involved educational planning projects.  I asked one question over and over: how long do you collect data in your studies on the ‘outcomes’ of individual student successes or failures?  The answer was four years.  (six years was the longest answer given for a few of these studies)  Well, when we were studying whether to go to semesters from quarters at my college, I looked at research (often qualitative) on student outcomes in low-income target populations, particularly for single-parent mothers and found that a common pattern of “persistence” rates for community college students who fit the aforementioned demographic was: 4-6 years to complete quarter systems (temporary drop outs were common due to children’s health problems, mother’s job demands, other such issues that affect low-income students much more than higher-income student populations.)  One clear example of the counter-productive and contradictory patterns involved with elite research to fit elite defined ‘research’ questions was observed by me doing ‘fieldwork’ at my college: our president decided to wipe out all daycare programs at our campuses...since we were now creating campuses in upper-middle class areas, she thought it was not a priority anymore...(read ‘mission change’) even though her decision to go to semesters and to end daycare struck directly at the single-parent mothers opportunities for positive outcomes...now the average time to graduate became 6-8 years.  My report to the NSF committee was “redefine persistence” and “successful outcomes” so you can change the counting of those mothers who ‘graduate’ or achieve certification or transfer success from ‘failures’ to successes.

      Sent: Monday, January 06, 2014 8:55 AM
      Subject: RE: [SACC-L] SACC Annual Report

      The focus on graduation rates really causes problems for me. Just so y'all know, I am a community college FAILURE! I did not graduate. Instead I left the community college to get more anthropology classes at UNC-G. How many of our students get what they need without getting a degree?

      Happy New Year!

      Dianne