      From: Greg Smith <Greg.Smith@...>
      To: "SACC-L@yahoogroups.com" <SACC-L@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2013 12:30 PM
      Subject: RE: [SACC-L] Richland Garbology Project

      Hi Sue,

      The Northwest College Garbology Project that I direct uses labcoats, gloves, and we will add masks when we do it again next month. I’ve only run the project twice but so far have not had any injuries or other safety issues come up. Probably the most dangerous “artifact” that I can think of while sorting through garbage are tin cans that can sometimes have sharp edges when they are opened (especially when opened by a college student without access to a can opener!). It seems to me like a basic first aid kit would take care of 99% of any injuries that may occur in the unlikely event that they do.

      J. Gregory Smith, Ph.D.
      Assistant Professor of Anthropology
      Northwest College
      231 West Sixth Street