8809RE: [SACC-L] Affordable Care Act and Adjunct Courseloads

  • Dianne C
    Jul 1, 2013
      South Carolina is also a "right to work state." (I have been know to use other terms.) Unlike many places, our faculty association has very little say in how things go.

      Our school, too, is limiting adjunct teaching loads. We have been told that we won't cut down on the number of classes offered, therefore, we have uncovered classes because of a lack of adjuncts and those we have are limited. The word going 'round is that full-time faculty will be asked to pick up the slack and that we will either volunteer or be "voluntold" to cover the classes. That would bring our teaching loads back up to 6 per semester and, if we are "voluntold" there were be no renumeration for teaching the added class. (I haven't been told this directly, but many folks think this will happen.) This was also done a couple of years ago when the budget cuts hit SC pretty hard. All full-time faculty in Arts & Sciences taught 6 classes as a normal load for a few semesters, again without compensation.

      Sigh. The law of unintended consequences strikes again.

      --Dianne