8749Re: [SACC-L] Anth for grades 3-4

  • Karen Muir
    May 23, 2013
      Can also do functions of teeth - bringing requisite food samples to test (e.g. marshmallows, big thick carrots etc) - paired with a gorilla, chimp and human skull so they can see differences in dentition and talk about differences in diet....

      >>> Philip Stein <stein39@...> 5/22/2013 9:18 PM >>>

      I used to do these presentation. I found out that they are less interested in listening to a talk than to see, touch and play with stuff. I would fill a box with skulls and artifacts and some borrowed fossils from Geology and spent my time going through the box and answering questions. Always worked! I would stick to physical and archaeology where the good stuff is, at least at this age.

      Phil

      --- On Wed, 5/22/13, Lori Barkley <lbarkley@...> wrote:

      From: Lori Barkley <lbarkley@...>
      Subject: [SACC-L] Anth for grades 3-4
      To: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 3:32 PM

      Hi all,

      I have been asked to do a presentation to a group of grade 3-4 students. I have done comparative skeletal morphology in the past (why we can walk upright & a chimp finds it more difficult, why you should protect your head & neck kind of stuff). However, I`m more of a social-cultural kind of anthropologist. Any ideas of what to do for a 30 minute session to keep them interested (they tell you right away & loudly if you are boring!).

      I know there was a discussion a couple of years ago on this, I should have archived it! I`m sure some of you have done this many times & have some great ideas. So please share!

      Many thanks,
      Lori