6479a fieldschool first

  • Bob Muckle
    Jun 1, 2010
      I am now in the midst of directing my 12th consecutive archaeology field school. I thought I had just about seen it all, but.....well today.....in the forest....one student was surveying alone and he found me speaking with three others, also in the forest. The student was rather excited because he thought he had found something "cultural" and wanted to show it to me. I have always instructed students to "Take the archaeologist to the artifact; Not the artifact to the archaeologists", but this student had evidently forgot. So, I held out my hand to allow him to show m what he had discovered. He dropped what he thought was an artifact into my hand. It was deer poop. He really thought it because it was so neatly shaped (deer poop comes in the shape of pellets), it must have been cultural. End of story.