4895RE: interesting articles

    Jan 27, 2009
      I see that the email wouldn't take my attachment. You can access the
      latest and past issues of AnthroNotes at

      From: Lloyd Miller [mailto:lloyd.miller@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 12:14 AM
      To: SACC; Maren Wilson; Jo Rainy Rodgers; Mary Gilliland; Mark Lewine;
      Kaupp, Ann; Becky Stein-Frankle (w); Diane Wilhelm; Ann Popplestone;
      Patricia Hamlen; Laura Gonzalez; Autumn Cahoon; Chuck Ellenbaum; Phil
      Stein; George Rodgers; Melvin Johnson; Dianne Chidester; Deborah
      Shepherd; Bob Muckle
      Subject: interesting articles

      Hi all,

      Read a couple of interesting articles at the public library today. In
      THE NATION (Jan 26), a review of four books that discuss such issues as
      who should own a nation's antiquities--its museums irrespective of their
      funding and security systems, the big well-funded museums, private
      investors--and what are the ethics of knowingly selling and buying
      stolen artifacts.

      Also, the Feb 09 issue of NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC has two special articles
      honoring the Darwin Bicentennial: "Darwin's First Clues" and "The Modern
      Darwins." These document the steps in Darwin's development of the idea
      of natural selection while on the voyage of HMS Beagle, and integrate
      them with subsequent developments in evolution theory. One of the
      clearest explanations I've read of how natural selection (as Darwin
      understood it), Mendelian genetics, punctuated equilibrium, DNA and the
      genome and gene mapping--each in its own time--contributed to the
      formation and (forgive me) "evolution" of evolution theory. I think
      it's a must read for anthropology students. The second article provides
      good contemporary examples of evolution in action that should give
      serious pause to those who say, "Evolution's just a theory," and "You
      can't see it happen."