      From: Bob Muckle <bmuckle@...>
      Subject: Re: [SACC-L] T-SACC
      To: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, December 6, 2008, 5:33 PM

      I'm afraid we are already on the way down this very slippery slope. It makes me so uncomortable.

      I haven't seen anything like this in anthropology, but just last week a geography colleague of mine was showing me a textbook he was thinking of using. I forget the exact title but it was published by National Geographic, in partnership, I think with Wiley. I was skimming through it, which was almost all photos, and was astounded with what appears to be advertising by National Geographic in the form of their logo featured very prominently underneath the photos. I know that National Geographic has been publishing atlases and books for K-12 for some time, but wasn't aware they were infiltrating the college and university textbook market.

      And to add to your list....how about teaching in building or classrooms with the names of corporate sponsors on them? That makes me pretty uncomfortable.

      Its interesting to think about where our own personal lines might be. I wonder, for example, what if Porshe, became the official car of Capilano and facuty were each given one to drive.

      If anybody is interested, my GMC Suburban is still for sale. I'm advertising it now as a big red lawn ornament. It might make a nice Christmas decoration.

      Bob

      >>> "Mark Lewine" <mlewine@wowway. com> 12/05/08 9:33 PM >>>
      Yes, with my urban cultures class, we are exploring social marketing with an anthropological perspective. ..so far, we have come up with some scary ideas to test with some ethnographic focus groups: power point presentations with 'branded' symbols relating to educational consumers; text books partly subsidized by ads thus lowering book costs to students and increasing fees to published faculty authors...faculty wearing identifiable 'brands', using identifiable 'brands' of computers, publishers, news sources, book stores, office supplies stores, etc...anything to add, capitalist pigs of the future?