      Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 11:35:54 -0600
      From: James Waldram <j.waldram@...>
      Subject: Alexander Leighton
      To: cascanews@...

      I regret to inform the membership of the death of Dr Alexander Leighton, at age
      99. He passed away peacefully in his beloved Nova Scotia, surrounded by family,
      on Saturday August 11.

      Although trained as a psychiatrist, "Alec" played a prominent role in the
      emergence of applied anthropology as an important subfield in our discipline
      throughout the second half of the 20th century. During the early part of his
      education and career he was influenced by such prominent anthropologists as
      Bronislaw Malinowski,Margaret Mead, Clyde Kluckhohn, and Ralph Linton who were,
      like him, deeply interested in the potential for a cultural psychiatry. He
      brought to his work a unique - for psychiatry at the time - and intense
      interest in the role of culture in understanding mental illness, and became a
      leading proponent of community psychiatry. He also came to appreciate the
      anthropological framework and the importance of ethnography. His many,
      influential research projects, often involving Dorothea Leighton and then Jane
      Murphy, included work with the Navajo, Japanese internees during World War Two
      (see "The Governing of Men," an early classic of applied anthropology), and the
      Sterling County (Nova Scotia) studies of community mental health (see "My Name
      is Legion" as one example). His collaborations with anthropologists enriched
      both anthropology and psychiatry.

      At the 2003 CASCA conference in Halifax, there was a special session in his
      honour. We were graced by the presence of both Jane Murphy and a very engaged
      Alexander Leighton. Papers from this session were subsequently published in
      Transcultural Psychiatry, including a retrospective of his career and scholarly
      contributions by Marc-Adelard Tremblay, his former student and research
      collaborator.

      James B. Waldram, PhD
      Professor, Department of Psychology
      Chair, Cultural Anthropology Program
      Coordinator, Culture and Human Development Program

      Address:
      Department of Psychology
      University of Saskatchewan
      9 Campus Dr