Re: [S9Antennas] S9 31' on 75?

  • chuck
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 29, 2012
      I have a 20m with 16 radials. It matches down to 160m. I have gotten poor signal reports on 80 and 160. On 40m i worked N. Hampsire with a 5-5. I use a MFJ tunner. It is fed with 25 feet of RG8X. The tuning is very sharp and on 160m my hand capacity affects the tuning. Also I have the LDG 4:1 ubub installed. I hope this helps. KD8RHA nr Cleveland,Ohio

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
        What does "a 20m" mean? A vertical thats 20 meters tall or a 20 meter vertical?? If the closeness of your hand affects the tuning you have a problem ---- that "info," along witht he fact the fact that you utilize an MFJ tuner in your shackthat is not "helpful," in terms of influencing an antenna system integration effort, to someone contemplating the use of a 31' vertical as part of a multiband antenna sytem!! I understand why you receive poor rports on the lower bands!!! 72, Jim R. K9JWV To: S9Antennas@yahoogroups.com
        From: a2933xxx@...
        Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 20:30:38 -0800
        Subject: Re: [S9Antennas] S9 31' on 75?

        I have a 20m with 16 radials. It matches down to 160m. I have gotten poor signal reports on 80 and 160. On 40m i worked N. Hampsire with a 5-5. I use a MFJ tunner. It is fed with 25 feet of RG8X. The tuning is very sharp and on 160m my hand capacity affects the tuning. Also I have the LDG 4:1 ubub installed. I hope this helps. KD8RHA nr Cleveland,Ohio

        Does the S9 antenna tuen up on 75/80 meters? If so, how well does it perform? I'm thinking of purchasing the 31', but lately, I've been doing more on 75/80 and would hate to buy the 31' if it does not work well on this band.

        Thanks and 73!

        Marty

      • Ron
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
          Not sure what you meant when you said you "have a 20m" - I'm assuming you mean the 31'.

          A 31' antenna is going to be a very inefficient radiator on 160, being only a 1/16 wave on that band. You are also going to be generating tremendous amounts of heat into that UNUN, even at very low power.

          With a good UNUN, the 31' will do a bit better as a 1/8th wave on 75/80, not fantastic, but it will make contacts. Mine performs very well on 40-10 and the UNUN provides continuous coverage from 80-10 (and even portions of 6m).

          If you are really planning on doing a lot of 75/80 work, the 43' is really a better choice. IMHO.

          73,

          Ron - KJ5XX
          Sent from my BlackBerry�

          I have a 20m with 16 radials. It matches down to 160m. I have gotten poor signal reports on 80 and 160. On 40m i worked N. Hampsire with a 5-5. I use a MFJ tunner. It is fed with 25 feet of RG8X. The tuning is very sharp and on 160m my hand capacity affects the tuning. Also I have the LDG 4:1 ubub installed. I hope this helps. KD8RHA nr Cleveland,Ohio

          Does the S9 antenna tuen up on 75/80 meters?� If so, how well does it perform?� I'm thinking of purchasing the 31', but lately, I've been doing more on 75/80 and would hate to buy the 31' if it does not work well on this band.

          Thanks and 73!
          Marty

        • ortracr
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
            I have the 31' S9 model built before LDG became involved, and at that time there was a loading coil available, which I purchased specifically for the 31' model. A friend of mine has the 31' without the loading coil but loads it up on 80 with his LDG Tuner. Both of us are able to work 75/80 with reasonable success, I have 30 radials down but none cut for 75/80 meters so might take the time to put a couple down to see if there's any improvement.