[Rzeszow-Poland] Who is managing this site?

  • peekaboobrat
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 20, 2009
      I have difficulty with people emailing me from this site only trying to met their match. I am not interested.  Here is my interest:
      'Ruthenian' can be seen in records with "Austro-Hungarian" or "Austria Polish."
      In particular, the Bednarczyk family, as far back as the 18th century, was from Pielnia Austria, Polish, Nadolany, Nowotaneic and nearby areas. Anyone know other places?
      The Strus family was from Wroblik-Krowlewski and Szlacheckie, Sanok & Krosno Districts of Galicia, as far back as the 1850s. Anywhere else?
      My Uncle Tom Strus keeps saying his dad, Georg Strus was in Prussia. And, Georg was from a town called Galicia in Galicia. [not the spanish]
      A letter from the Libary of Congress reads, "Galicia was never under the control of Prussia."  If interested in History read on.

      One question is whether there are individuals interested in the Pre-history of Galicia and my Surnames from that area? [attached]

      [thank you to Ann for http://www.mapywig.org/news.php]
      Here are some comments on Maps, I received from L of C today.  On an Austria Hungarian map, of 1914, I can see the town of 'GALICIA' RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF GALICIA. On 'closer examination,' it is "Galician."
      ;-(  It's between Mosciska and Sadowa, which apear to be 'train stops' on this labeled train route of "Galician."  The line is not marked as the usual train tracks. +++++
      To the east of this 'Galician,'  are the Districts mentioned in my Family's Church records, like Krosno, Romanow, & Sanok. This train line is labeled 'Austrian State,' in the same letters/fonts as 'Galician.'  Each of these Districts seem to be train stops. Was there ever a village or town called Galicia?

      Since trains would have influenced migration.....When were these train tracks built?
      Carpathian Mts. is spelled Karpathian.  There are so many places. The Wislok River runs parallel to the Districts and the K Mountains.  They're at 22.5 longtude and 49.5 lattitude.  On a different map, Sanok was 24x49,.. possibly my mistake. But it had the Meridian.
      On a Prussia Expansion Map, 1618-1795, I see that since Galicia was East of the Vistula River, my ancestors were in Lithuania. West of the Vistual River was Poland. Have I got this correct?
      In the Map showing the Unification of Germany 1866-1871, it's difficult to tell where the future Galicia was. Munich is Bavaria. Berlin is in Prussia. To the East is Russia and to the South is Austria-Hungary.
      Europe Following the Treaty of Frankfurt 1871, Galicia is just 'penciled in' by the Library of Congress researcher, in the Northeast guadrant, of Austria-Hungary. I can see the Ottoman Empire South of Austria-Hungary and Romania.
      My Uncle Tom said his father, Georg Strus b. 1881, [arrived to US Jul-1903 acc to Graf Waldersee Ship Manifest] fought the Ottoman Empire in the 'Austrian Army.'  I don't know how, because in the next map, I don't see Prussia.  [?]  Can someone help me find his Birth Certificate? Georg Strus was born May 6 1881, Wroblik Krolewski, Galicia, Austria [Polish]
      This map is labeled Habsburg Territories, 1814-1914.  GF Georg Strus came to America in 1903.  Uncle Tom mentioned that his dad, Georg Strus, was involved, somehow, in City of Vienna. That's in the Archduchy of Austria on this map. Bohemia, Prague, Moravia and Galicia-Lodomeria [& a little Republic of Krakow] are North of the Kingdom of Hungary.
      Europe Bef. WWI, 1914, the map has Galicia in the middle of Germany to the West, Russian Empire to the North, Austria-Hungary & Romania to the South.
      Where does Prussia come into this?  Was my Grampa Georg Strus in the Austrian Army? Or could he have been in the Prussian Army?
      Uncle Tom said his Dad, Georg Strus, was in the 'Prussian Army.' Tom said Georg 'desserted that army.' G Strus worked his way to Vienna, got into Nice,Italy, worked on a boat, & finally made his way to America.  My Mom once said Georg, & relatives, came through Canada. Strus is said to have helped the brothers Leo & George Nadzak come to America.
      I only have Georg Strus arriving in the Port of NEW YORK in 1903 July, coming from the Port of Bremen, Germany.  Could Georg have come to America earlier?

      It states Georg was 21 or 22 and single. I know Georg b. 1881, married Mary Bednarczyk b. 1889 or 1891, in Forest City PA, in Oct 1906. Should I be searching for an earlier arrival of Georg Strus too?
      The Historical Atlas of Central Europe [in part], by Paul Robert Magocsi was also sent to me. Austria and the Ottoman Empire, 1718-1782 shows all of Austria Hungary. Prussia, Poland, and Russia are to the North. Galicia is between Austria H, Poland, & the Russian Empire.
      It appears the same in the Napoleonic era, 1795-1814. The only exception is the addition of West Galicia. It appears to the North but there is no North pole indicator or Meridan.
      In 1815, West Galicia is in Poland and Ternopil is in Russia. It had previously been in Galicia.  Talk about smoking my interest!  This History is so complicated.  But those Carpatian Mts. help me, on other maps, to gain somewhat of a 'grounding point.'
      That Ottoman Empire appear quite large in the south.  The Austro-Hungarian Empire, 1867-1914 map shows all the Hungarian Counties. Bohemia and Moravia are just below Germany. And Russia and Romania border Galicia North, and Southeast, respectfully.
      My Great Grandparents, Michal b. 1853 and Katazryna [n. Burnatowska 1854?] Moskalewicz Bednarczyk, were married in Nadolany on Jul 07 1880, at a St Nicholas Church.  We agree, Michal was single, before his marriage, because he was in the Austro-Hungarian Army. [written previously & found at church 20 years ago-45th Regiment] IS the church still there?
      Grampa Georg and Mary Bednarczyk [Aka Benarick] were married, in Oct 1906, obviously, in a rushed marriage, because Mary had her first son, Joe, in January 1907.  They did some 'quick steps,' back then that were very unusual, and unacceptable. I think that's why the Bednarczyk familes split in Forest City PA USA. Nicholas [call me Michael] Bednarczik's children used the CZIK. And Michal's used CZYK.
      I received 16 pages from the Library of Congress. Galicia (central Europe)-in Roman times, the Galician area was populated by various tribes of Celto-Germanic admixture, including Celtic-based tribes like the Galice or "Gaulics" and Bolihinii or Volhynians, and the Prussians, Lugians, Goths, and Vandals of Germanic or Hunnic, ( Finnic-Ugric origins, the Przeworsk and Pu'chov cultures).
      Each century found Galician areas invaded by various groups, too long to list here. Some Historians say that the connection of the Ukranian name Halych (Halicz in Polish) has to do with people of Celtic origin. They settled nearby and found the area similar to Galatia, Gaul and even Spanish Galicia.
      Others say the name is of Slavic origin from halytsa (galitsa), meaning "a naked 'unwooded' hill, or halka (galka) meaning "a jackdaw." {something to do with the Coat of Arms}  13 more pages can be reviewed at
      My Strus Family were Ruthenian.  I read that a Count Agenor Goluchowski [sounds like my Goszkowski family surname], a conservative representative of the eastern Galician aristocracy, the so-called Podolians, was appointed Viceroy. [many family members smoke Viceroy LOL]
      The Viceroy was unsuccessful in convincing the Greek Catholic Church to shift to using the Gregorrian Calender. And among the Ruthenians, Goluchowski could not convince them to use the Latin Alphabet instead of the Cyrillic alphabet.
      Thus my difficulty reading the church records......Hmmm   I look forward to any of you sending me information, or positive comments, about any of the information presented here.
      Joanie Wielgus