Broken Toe

  • ajaytuque
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4, 2012
      Well, I'm sidelined for awhile. I broke my 2nd proximal phalynx on my left foot during a recreational, low-key softball game this past weekend. I wish I could hide my injury better because I'm tired of hearing, "See what happens when you go barefoot!" When in reality, I probably would have broken my toe even if I had been shod--I moved quickly and suddenly and caught my foot under me (in plantarflexion). Everyone tends to blame being barefoot as the reason for any foot injury. Last February I dropped a piece of drywall on my right foot and severely bruised it (kept me from running for about a month) and same thing: "It's because you don't wear shoes!" (even though I was shod at the time of the drywall incident). If you go barefoot you just cannot win with the general public!

      Jason
    • Gregory Buc
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 5, 2012
        Same thing happens to me Jason.
        My knee has been hurting recently whenever I run past about 5 miles.. and people always say... "it's because you don't wear any shoes!", "or get some freaking shoes!"
        Sometimes I almost believe them... :(
        I'll admit I probably do need to work on my form though.. even 2 years into this barefoot business.

        Greg

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 5, 2012
          Sometimes people who know I run barefoot see me in my professional setting and comment about how surprised they are that I am wearing shoes (as IF I ONLY go barefoot - ALL the time.) I usually say something back, like: "I'm in misery! This is pure torture!" or "Shhh! I'm working undercover!"

          Ryan

          --- In RunningBarefoot@yahoogroups.com, "ajaytuque" <drrichards@...> wrote:

          > Well, I'm sidelined for awhile. I broke my 2nd proximal phalynx on my left foot during a recreational, low-key softball game this past weekend. I wish I could hide my injury better because I'm tired of hearing, "See what happens when you go barefoot!" When in reality, I probably would have broken my toe even if I had been shod--I moved quickly and suddenly and caught my foot under me (in plantarflexion). Everyone tends to blame being barefoot as the reason for any foot injury. Last February I dropped a piece of drywall on my right foot and severely bruised it (kept me from running for about a month) and same thing: "It's because you don't wear shoes!" (even though I was shod at the time of the drywall incident). If you go barefoot you just cannot win with the general public!
          >
          > Jason

        • barefootkenbob
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 7, 2012
            Wait until you're some 50 years into running barefoot, and realize you can still improve your running more, especially as your body begins providing even more feedback!

            Have fun,
            -Barefoot ken bob

            --- In RunningBarefoot@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Buc <thebuc1010@...> wrote:

            > Same thing happens to me Jason.
            >
            > My knee has been hurting recently whenever I run past about 5 miles.. and people always say... "it's because you don't wear any shoes!", "or get some freaking shoes!"
            >
            > Sometimes I almost believe them... :(
            > I'll admit I probably do need to work on my form though.. even 2 years into this barefoot business.
            >

            > Greg

          • barefootkenbob
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 7, 2012
              It doesn't much matter what you do, you can't "win" with the general public... they tend to want everyone to be alike, and there is no winning in a contest like that!

              Dare to have fun, dare to be different, dare to be yourself!

              Have fun,
              -barefoot ken bob