Re: Why do we swing our arms?

  • Ryan W
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 1, 2010
      No! All the scientific formulas, theories, and explanations in the world will never make a snowflake less wondrous, or a redwood less magnificent, or a child's smile less endearing. Knowing fills the left side of the brain nicely, but feeling fills the right side (or is it the other way around?) Barefoot running is still a joy to experience -- just ask any kid, no matter how young or old!

      In this world of "either/or" its nice to throw in an "and" sometimes!

      Ryan

      --- In RunningBarefoot@yahoogroups.com, "yanni papastavrou" <yannipapastavrou@...> wrote:

      > A question I often ponder:- does science sometimes kill art?
      > If I study in depth a thing only at the materialistic level with no contemplation for meaning and art - so I enumerate, evaluate, validate. quantify, dissect, analyse, poke, prod, do I miss out on the thing's greater purpose and meaning?
      >
      > I can easily loose the essence of the the opera by breaking down music into mere sound waves and psycho-acoustics, or loose the poetry of the operatic movements/theatrics/costumes into mere energy conservation laws?
      >
      > And also, I can follow a recipe to bake a cake to the letter just as well as the next person/ machine, but if I do not bake the cake with love, as does an artisan or artist, what have I achieved? Have I become a machine?
      >
      > Run with love: take part in the human race, and you will obey all conservation laws.
      >
      > Some things that bother this overworked physicist!
      >
      > Yanni
      > Barefoot runner since December 2004.

    • Ryan W
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 1, 2010
        In summer weather, I have found that I can take off my t-shirt and wear it like a turban on my head to keep the sun off and soak up perspiration. I put the hem of the neck across my forehead, let the body hang over the back of my head and over my neck, and tie the short sleeves together behind my neck, This has helped me cool off a lot of times.

        I have also wrapped long sleeved shirts and long legged pants around my waist when I got too hot to keep wearing them.

        Ryan