NY Times on running barefoot

  • verosimilitude
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2007
      http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/01/sports/othersports/01marathon.html?hp

      "But for competitors who use music as a motivational tool while
      training and competing, the ban was frustrating, as if the race
      directors were forcing them to run barefoot."

      By JULIET MACUR
      Published: November 1, 2007
    • Ken Bob Saxton
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2007
        Too much dependence on drowning out the senses to make running seem
        less painful ... leads to senseless running.

        Have fun,
        -barefoot ken bob

        --- In RunningBarefoot@yahoogroups.com, "verosimilitude"
        <verosimilitude@...> wrote:

        > http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/01/sports/othersports/01marathon.html?
        hp

        > "But for competitors who use music as a motivational tool while
        > training and competing, the ban was frustrating, as if the race
        > directors were forcing them to run barefoot."
        >
        > By JULIET MACUR
        > Published: November 1, 2007

      • Michael Rose
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2007
          I agree with Barefoot Ken Bob. I like to use ALL of my senses while
          running. It seems as though anything we do in attempts to make
          running more "bare"-able, only leads to more potential hazards and
          injuries.

          I try to constantly monitor my running form, footstrike, breathing
          pattern,etc. while running. I am very new into barefoot running but
          I can see the similarities between blocking feedback from your ears
          with earphones and blocking feedback from your feet with shoes.

          I am having fun and TRYING to relax.
          Mike

          --- In RunningBarefoot@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Bob Saxton" <KenBob@...>
          wrote:

          > Too much dependence on drowning out the senses to make running seem
          > less painful ... leads to senseless running.
          >
          > Have fun,
          > -barefoot ken bob
          >
          > --- In RunningBarefoot@yahoogroups.com, "verosimilitude"
          > <verosimilitude@> wrote:

          http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/01/sports/othersports/01marathon.html?
          > hp
          > >
          > > "But for competitors who use music as a motivational tool while
          > > training and competing, the ban was frustrating, as if the race
          > > directors were forcing them to run barefoot."
          > >
          > > By JULIET MACUR
          > > Published: November 1, 2007

        • Barefoot Ted
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2007
            I usually dance WITH music...it seems better that way.

            BFT

            --
            One foot at a time. One sole at a time. One hell of a good time.

            Barefoot Ted's Adventures
            www.BarefootTed.com
            1-818-332-7944 ext. 4

            Huaraches - Indigenous Running Sandals
            http://groups.google.com/group/huaraches
          • Ken Bob Saxton
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 1, 2007
              Nothing wrong with music, except when it blocks our perception of
              what's going on around us, while running in a crowd of tens of
              thousands of other runners, or in traffic.

              Still, we should all try dancing (barefoot of course) without music
              once in a while. No external rythym to lead our dance astray. Just our
              own natural internal rythym of the moment. Too much dependence on
              music, makes us begin to believe it is impossible to dance without
              music.

              Anyway, most marathons provide music. Whether it be the wind rustling
              the leaves in the trees, and the birds singing, on a trail marathon, or
              the bands along the way, and the crowds cheering us on.

              On another related note, my wife is deaf. That doesn't stop her from
              dancing, or enjoying it.

              But the big difference between deaf people and hearing people with
              headphones, is that the deaf person is paying attention to the
              environment with all of their available senses. Music can, and does,
              easily distract us from the mountain lion watching us from a mound
              ahead of us, from the way we are running, from the car that is about to
              run us over, from the traffic signals, from the mugger that's about to
              leap at us from the bushes. It's not just a loss of the sense of
              hearing for those of us who can hear, the extra music is a distraction
              from what our other senses should be alert to as well.

              It's also helpful for my wife, and other deaf people, when the people
              around her, in a marathon or crowded race, or on any running path, are
              paying attention.

              Besides that she is usually depending on what others are doing to
              follow instructions, people with headphones ARE paying less attention
              to others, and are more likely to make erratic changes in direction,
              becoming a hazard to others around them.

              Runners with headphones can be as annoying as automobile drivers on
              mobile phones who aren't looking where they're going!

              Have fun,
              -barefoot ken bob