RE: Runner's Web Digest - July 17, 1999

  • Ann-Marie Brady
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3 11:12 AM
      Hi Ken,
      Could you please take me off your email list?� I just recently resigned my
      position and my email will be forwarded to someone else in the company.�
      I'll let you know when I get a new address.� Thanks so much for all the
      updates.
      Hope to run into to you sometime soon.
      Ann-Marie Brady
      From: Paul Regensburg < paulreeg@...
      <mailto:paulreeg@...> >
      Subject: Sport Media Release - Triathlon

      ---FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE---

      Sport Press Release

      July 11, 1999 - (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada)

      The 1999 Canadian Triathlon Championships were held here today under hot
      and sunny skies with a race time temperature of near 30 C.� The event
      also included an International Triathlon Union points race adding many
      of the top world ranked athletes looking to challenge the Canadians for
      Olympic qualifying spots.

      In the men's race Lachlin Vollmerhause (Duncan, BC) and Alec Rukosuev
      (USA) lead the swim but were swallowed up by a chase pack that included
      1998 Canadian Champion Simon Whitfield (Victoria, B.C.) and World Cup
      Champion Gilberto Gonzalez (Venezuala).� As the 40 km bike segment ended
      the lead group included 5 athletes that quickly narrowed down to a
      running battle between Gonzalez and Whitfield.� At the 6km mark,
      Gonzalez pulled away and held the lead to win the race.� Whitfield's
      strong effort gained him the Canadian Champion title.� Joe Umphenour
      (USA) rounded out the top 3 overall with Vollmerhause finishing 5th and
      Jamie Cleveland (Kingston, ON) in 7th ,good for the respective second
      and third Canadian finishes.

      In the women's race, Barb Lindquist (USA) lead from start to finish to
      take an impressive overall victory.� Sharon Donnelly (Ottawa, ON) held
      on to Lindquist for the swim and the first portion of the bike, but then
      fell back to the chase group that included former National Champion
      Carol Montgomery (North Vancouver, B.C) and Louise Sopher (NZL).� The
      chase group was unable to make any gains on Lindquist resulting in a
      battle between Donnelly and Montgomery for the Canadian Champion title.
      Donnelly held strong and was able to best Montgomery on the 10km run
      segment.� Ironman Champion and local favorite Heather Fuhr and Canadian
      National Duathlon team member, Cheryl Murphy (Vancouver, B.C) moved from
      far back after the 1.5km swim with an excellent bike segment and ran
      themselves into contention with the two fastest run splits of the day.
      Murphy edged out Fuhr to take the 3rd place Canadian finish.

      The event was a fabulous success with over 10,000 spectators and
      excellent race organization.� The event will be the host site of the
      2001 Triathlon World Championships the year after triathlon makes its
      Olympic debut as the opening event of the Sydney Olympic Games.

      The results are as follows:

      Pro Men's Results

      1st Gilberto Gonzalez, VEN� 1:47:43
      2nd Simon Whitfield, CAN� 1:48:24� Canadian Champion
      3rd Joe Umphenour, USA� 1:48:44
      4th Ryan Bolton, USA� 1:49:03
      5th Lachlin Vollmerhause,� CAN 1:49:20� Canadian Silver
      6th Alec Rukosuev, USA� 1:49:26
      7th Jamie Cleveland, CAN� 1:49:30� Canadian Bronze
      8th Stefan Timms, CAN� 1:49:57
      9th Bryan Rhodes,� NZL� 1:50:03
      10th Stefan Jakobsen, CAN� 1:50:24
      11th Kevin Carter, USA� 1:51:07
      12th Mark Bates, CAN� 1:51:37
      13th Abe Rogers, USA� 1:52:03
      14th Jasper Blake, CAN� 1:52:47
      15th Brent McMahon, CAN� 1:53:00

      Pro Women's Results

      1st Barb Lindquist, USA 1:58:55
      2nd Sharon Donnelly, CAN 2:01:13�� Canadian Champion (Gold)
      3rd Carol Montgomery, CAN� 2:03:28� Canadian Silver
      4th Cheryl Murphy, CAN 2:04:47� Canadian Bronze
      5th Heather Fuhr, CAN 2:04:52
      6th Louise Sopher, NZL 2:05:26
      7th Gina Kehr, USA 2:07:03
      8th Kristin Armstrong, USA 2:07:15
      9th Isabelle Gagnon, CAN 2:07:35
      10th Lara Tyler, CAN 2:07:51
      11th Isabelle Turcotte-Baird, CAN 2:08:17
      12th Lisa Bentley, CAN� 2:08:23
      13th Tereza Macel, CAN� 2:09:17
      14th Natasha Yaremczuk,� CAN� 2:09:27
      15th Megan Evans, NZL� 2:09:41

      For more information contact Paul Regensburg @ (780) 799-1185 or
      paulreeg@... <mailto:paulreeg@...>

      Research Article�from ESP Digest:
      ...when vitamins are just not enough ...

      NATURAL ANTIOXIDANTS YOU NEED

      Natural sources of antioxidants, such as Vitamins C and E and beta carotene,
      are some of your best defenses against
      coronary-pulmonary aging.� Choose from these foods when eating at least five
      servings per day of fruits and vegetables, better yet 9 servings:

      Vitamin C:� red pepper, brussels sprouts, papaya, orange, chestnuts,
      butternut squash, kiwi, strawberries, cantaloupe,
      kale, pink grapefruit, sweet potato, cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower.
      {The latter 3 also help the liver detoxify poisons and "bad" estrogens that
      promote breast, colon, cervical and prostate cancer}

      Vitamin E:� almonds, spinach, parsnips, peanut butter, sunflower seeds,
      asparagus, sweet potato, wheat germ, brussels sprouts, peanuts, pecans.

      Beta carotene:� carrot, butternut squash, cantaloupe, sweet potato, kale,
      watercress, apricot, red pepper, turnip greens, mango.

      A good rule of thumb:� eat from the fruit and vegetable "color palette" each
      day and include red, green, orange, and yellow.

      Vitamin H, also known as Biotin, helps the body form fatty acids and process
      amino acids starches, and sugars.

      It maintains the health of the body's sweat glands, nerve tissue, blood
      cells, bone marrow, skin, hair, and male sex
      glands.

      Biotin is found in dairy products, including butter, cheese, and milk; nuts
      including cashews, peanuts, and walnuts;
      vegetables, including green peas, lentils, soybeans, and split peas; meats,
      especially organ meats; chicken; eggs;
      fish; including mackerel and tuna; whole grain foods, including brown rice,
      bulgur, wheat, and oats; sunflower
      seeds; and yeast.

      <http://www.bodyisland.com/focus/your_first_triathlon.htm> The Father of
      Aerobics
      **************************
      If you jog, bike, power-walk or own a copy of "Buns of Steel," it probably
      has something to do with Dr. Kenneth Cooper. Back in 1968, he published a
      book called Aerobics, which offered the then-revolutionary notion that
      vigorous exercise could help people get and stay healthy.
      Two years later, he founded the Cooper Clinic in Dallas, Texas, a
      world-renowned facility devoted to the benefits of exercise and� preventive
      medicine. More than 60,000 patients have sought treatment there.
      The following link is to a transcript of Dr. Cooper's live chat on
      ABCNEWS.com:
      http://abcnews.go.com/sections/living/DailyNews/kencooper_chat.html
      <http://abcnews.go.com/sections/living/DailyNews/kencooper_chat.html>

      The FiveStar Site of the Week
      **********************************
      Our FiveStar site of the week for next week is Bicycling Magazine at:
      http://www.bicycling.com/ <http://www.bicycling.com/> �. In addition to
      their standard offerings they have a special Tour de France section.

      Send us Links
      ****************
      If you have found other sites which the Runner's Web does not already link
      to, send them on to us and we will add them. Email them to
      runnersweb@... <mailto:runnersweb@...> .

      Send this to a Friend
      ***********************
      Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they subscribe
      at
      http://www.onelist.com/subscribe.cgi/RunnersWeb
      <http://www.onelist.com/subscribe.cgi/RunnersWeb> .

      Your Feedback and Comments
      runnersweb@... <mailto:runnersweb@...> to notify us of the
      problem.

      To update your Runner's Web OneList subscriber's profile, go to the web site
      at:
      http://www.onelist.com/subscribe.cgi/RunnersWeb
      <http://www.onelist.com/subscribe.cgi/RunnersWeb> , sign in and update your
      changes.

      Have a good week. Drop us a line and tell the list about yourself.

      Ken Parker
      kparker@... <mailto:kparker@...>
      www.sirius.ca <http://www.sirius.ca> We don't make technology... we make IT
      work!
      www.runnersweb.com/running.html <http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html> A
      running and triathlon resource site.
      Runner's Web eMail Community:
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3 11:37 AM
        You have been "unsubscribed".

        If you would like free web based email there are a number of possibilities
        included runnersweb.com through this site:
        http://mail.bigmailbox.com/users/runnerswebcom/.

        Do you have a new job or contract? Or did you just decide to train
        full-time?

        Ken

        Ken Parker
        President
        Sirius Consulting Group Inc.
        kparker@...

      • karen.green@dfait-maeci.gc.ca
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 8 10:57 AM
          Please remove my name from the list.
          Thanks

          > Could you please take me off your email list? I just recently resigned my
          > position and my email will be forwarded to someone else in the company.
          > I'll let you know when I get a new address. Thanks so much for all the
          > updates.
          > Hope to run into to you sometime soon.
          > Ann-Marie Brady

          Start a new ONElist list & you can WIN great prizes!
          For details on ONElist's NEW FRIENDS & FAMILY program, go to
          http://www.onelist.com/info/onereachsplash3.html

          The Runner's Web OneList is maintained by the Runner's Web. Visit us at
          http://www.runnersweb.com/running.html.
        • jamie weiler
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 9 8:14 AM
            Please remove my name from this list too.
            thank you. jamie