Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest - January 4, 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2013
      those of the Runner's Web. Visit the Runner's Web at http://www.runnersweb.com The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out
      our daily news, features, polls, trivia, bulletin boards and more.

      1. Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women - Canada's Fastest Women's 5K.
      The 2013 race will be run on June 22nd.
      Sports 4 is providing cash prizing as follows:
      First Overall $1000, Second Overall $750, Third Overall $550, Fourth Overall $400, Fifth Overall $300
      First Masters (40 & over*) $500
      There are cash prizes for the following:
      New Race Record: $1000, New Masters (40 & over*) Record: $500, New 5 Year Age Category Age : $100
      *age as of Dec 31, 2013
      For more on the race visit the website
      at: http://www.emiliesrun.com.
      **Register before December 21 and receive a 20% discount**

      3. Toronto Waterfront Marathon, date October 14, 2012
      The fastest men's and women's marathon on Canadian soil!

      4. Goodlife Fitness Toronto Marathon - ~Online Registration is Now Open~
      Next year's race will be run on Sunday May 5, 2013

      5. Training Peaks
      The Runner's Web has partnered with Training Peaks to provide online
      coaching from experts such as Hal Higdon, Joel Friel and Matt
      Fitzgerald. Sign up at:

      6. iRun Magazine
      iRun is Canada's highest-circulation and most popular running magazine. With a total distribution of 50,000 and more than 9,000
      subscribers, iRun is leading the market in the rapidly growing and highly desirable demographic of Canadian runners.

      7. Olympic Physical Therapy and Foot Orthotics:
      Olympic Physical Therapy and Foot Orthotics was founded in May of 2000 by Don Levine, MSPT and Bert Reid, DPT, to provide outpatient
      physical therapy and sports medicine rehabilitation to the residents of Rhode Island and South Eastern Massachusetts. Consistently
      assessing the needs of our communities while striving to provide the highest level of care and customer service. This has allowed
      Olympic and its staff to thrive and earn accolades such as, in 2007, becoming the first recipient of the Small Business of the Year
      award from The Newport Chamber of Commerce

      8. Rock n Roll Marathon, Portland.
      The scenic half marathon course starts and finishes Downtown adjacent to Waterfront Park. After a short tour of Downtown,
      participants will enjoy the first of two bridge crossings as they head to beautiful east Portland. There they will experience an
      eclectic mix of Portland neighborhoods, beautiful Laurelhurst Park and a wonderful downhill finish heading back towards Downtown.
      Visit the race website at:

      The Runner's Web is a member of Running USA, The National Professional
      Organization for the Running Industry.

      NEW SUBSCRIBERS: Check the "New Subscribers' note at the bottom of the

      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is available
      through an RSS feed for myYahoo at:
      [Long URL] The Digest is also available through other RSS Readers on request.

      Get the Runner's Web button for the Google Toolbar 4 for Internet
      Explorer from the link on our FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com .

      Follow us on Twitter at:

      We have reached the limit of 5000 friends on our Facebook page so we have added a Fans page at:
      To join the Runner's Web Facebook group, if you are not a member of Facebook, you
      Join the almost 1,000 subscribers to the Runner's Web Facebook feeds.

      Join us on Google Plus at:

      Event directors, add your event to our Event Calendar at:

      We have 2755 subscribers as of publication time. Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they subscribe at:

      The Stretching Handbook has gained a reputation as one of the most user friendly publications on stretching, flexibility and sports
      injury prevention. It's been endorsed by some of the biggest names in the health and fitness industry, and received rave reviews and
      testimonials from hundreds of satisfied customers worldwide.
      And now there's the perfect companion to The Stretching Handbook: The Stretching DVD! There's over 100 minutes of individual
      stretching exercises for every major muscle group in your body, and customized routines for the Upper Body, the Lower Body and the
      Neck, Back & Core.
      Visit the site at: http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/cmd.php?af=245575

      * Sports Nutrition by Sheila Kealey. Sheila is one of Ottawa's top
      multisport athletes and a member of the OAC Racing Team and X-C Ottawa. She has a Masters in Public Health and works in the field of
      nutritional epidemiology as a Research Associate with the University of California, San Diego. Her column index is available at:

      community. We have NO personal postings this week.

      1. Exercise and the Ever-Smarter Human Brain
      2. Confidence-Building Workouts From The Pros
      3. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health e-Zine
      4. RunCoachJason.com Newsletter
      5. #1 Marathon Training Error
      6. Speed and strength training
      7. Energy Drinks Promise Edge, but Experts Say Proof Is Scant
      8. The 1% Incline Treadmill "Myth"
      9. Live Like A Clock: How Routine Aids Performance
      10. Managing Your Physical Energy: 10 Must Do Strategies
      11. Iron Deficiency and Athletes
      12. Track Versus Road Workouts
      13. Good and Bad, the Little Things Add Up in Fitness
      14. Indoor Exercise: Tips for the New Year!
      15. How the Pros Stay Lean

      Which sport(s) has/have the greatest drug problem?

      Vote at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/rw_vote.html

      Do/did you train on Christmas Day?
      Answers Percent Votes
      1 Regular workout 53% 80
      2 Abbreviated workout 24% 36
      3 No 16% 24
      4 No, I don't train! 7% 11
      Total Votes: 151

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage (http://www.runnersweb.com) as well as checking the results of previous polls.

      FIVE STAR SITE OF THE MONTH: HITS Running Festivals.
      HITS Running Festivals will appeal to the elite, competitive athlete running a marathon, as well as the newcomer doing the Friends &
      Family Mile.
      Our promise of A distance for everyone!TM allows all participants a true "race environment," regardless of distance or competitive
      level. From the mile to the marathon, you will experience a high-quality, well-executed event from the moment you register,
      throughout the race and then onto the finish line celebration and Festival.
      Our commitment to customer service is second to none. With more than 30 years of experience organizing some of the largest equine
      sporting events in the world and more than 55 triathlons under our belt in just one year, we know how to execute big events, with
      great attention to detail. Those details start and end with our participants. The Festivals will include dozens of cutting-edge
      products and educational seminars focused on health, wellness and fitness. Educational components - including sport and health
      specific speakers - will be present at all Festivals.
      Six weekend Festivals will occur in 2013 on a regional basis around the United States. These events will be held in major
      metropolitan areas with large population bases, good climates for running, and places you want to visit! Entry fees will be
      reasonable; and, the product you receive ... runsational! We anticipate 5,000 to 10,000 participants - with many more spectators -
      at each Festival.
      Visit the website at:

      BOOK/VIDEO/MOVIE OF THE MONTH: Triathlon Anatomy
      By Mark Klion, Troy Jacobson
      Product Description
      See what it takes to maximize multisport strength, power, speed, and endurance. Triathlon Anatomy will show you how to improve your
      performance by increasing muscular strength and optimizing the efficiency of every movement.
      Triathlon Anatomy features 82 of the most effective multisport exercises with step-by-step descriptions and full-color anatomical
      illustrations highlighting the muscles in action. But you'll see much more than the exercises-you'll also see their results.
      Triathlon Anatomy places you at the starting line and into the throes of competition by fundamentally linking each exercise to
      multisport performance. You'll see how to strengthen muscles and increase stamina for running across various terrains, cycling steep
      inclines, and swimming in open water.
      You'll learn how to modify exercises to target specific areas, reduce muscle tension, and minimize common injuries. Best of all,
      you'll learn how to put it all together to develop a training program based on your individual needs and goals.
      Whether you're training for your first triathlon or preparing for your sixth Ironman, Triathlon Anatomy will ensure you're ready to
      deliver your personal best.
      Buy the book from Human Kinetics at:

      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/human_kinetics.html and

      1. Exercise and the Ever-Smarter Human Brain:
      Anyone whose resolve to exercise in 2013 is a bit shaky might want to consider an emerging scientific view of human evolution. It
      suggests that we are clever today in part because a million years ago, we could outrun and outwalk most other mammals over long
      distances. Our brains were shaped and sharpened by movement, the idea goes, and we continue to require regular physical activity in
      order for our brains to function optimally.
      The role of physical endurance in shaping humankind has intrigued anthropologists and gripped the popular imagination for some time.
      In 2004, the evolutionary biologists Daniel E. Lieberman of Harvard and Dennis M. Bramble of the University of Utah published a
      seminal article in the journal Nature titled "Endurance Running and the Evolution of Homo," in which they posited that our bipedal
      ancestors survived by becoming endurance athletes, able to bring down swifter prey through sheer doggedness, jogging and plodding
      along behind them until the animals dropped.
      More...from the NY Times at:

      2. Confidence-Building Workouts From The Pros:
      Four top runners share the sessions that let them know they're ready to race.
      Every runner has those key workouts from which they draw the most confidence; the ones that solidify in their minds that they are
      ready to execute on race day. These workouts not only provide important physical benefits, but perhaps even bigger mental ones. In
      the moments just prior to a race when we wonder, "Am I ready?" or "Am I going to be able to do this?" we can look back at our
      training and answer confidently, "Yes!"
      Confidence is key, but it's a fickle beast. When you have one of 'those' workouts under your belt, however, they seem to quiet that
      voice of doubt. Here are some go-to workouts of choice from four top pros, who battle the same nerves as everyone else on the
      starting line.
      More...from Competitor Magazine at:

      3. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health e-Zine:
      ** Ibuprofen Harms Intestines during Exercise; Aspirin Does Not
      A study from the Netherlands shows that taking Ibuprofen before intense exercise increases bleeding from the intestines (Medicine &
      Science in Sports & Exercise. December 2012). This can interfere with a person's training program by delaying recovery from intense
      BLOOD TEST MEASURES INTESTINAL DAMAGE: When intestines are damaged, blood leaks from the intestines into the bloodstream. This can
      be measured by a blood test called "Intestinal Fatty Acid Binding Protein I-FABP). The author demonstrated that blood levels of
      I-FABP rise during intense exercise and remain elevated only for up to one hour after a person finishes exercising intensely. This
      shows that the damaged intestines heal within an hour
      STRENUOUS EXERCISE CAN DAMAGE INTESTINES: Strenuous exercise itself, without Ibuprofen, can damage the intestines. For example,
      cyclists who rode hard and fast for an hour immediately developed elevated blood levels of I-FABP (PLoS One, July 2011;6(7):e22366).
      During intense exercise, large amounts of blood must be pumped to bring oxygen to muscles. The body gets the extra blood by
      shutting off blood flow to the intestines. The decreased blood flow to the intestines deprives intestinal cells of oxygen and they
      are damaged and not able to absorb food inside the intestines. This also explains why intense exercise can cause abdominal cramps,
      nausea, diarrhea and gastrointestinal bleeding in some people.
      HOW IBUPROFEN DELAYS MUSCLE RECOVERY FROM EXERCISE: Knowledgeable training for sports is based on a stress-and-recover
      program. You take a hard workout that is intense enough to cause muscle damage, as evidenced by muscle burning during the workout
      and soreness eight to 24 hours afterwards. Then you take less intense workouts until the soreness goes away. Then you take your
      Skeletal muscles are composed of thousands of muscle fibers. Each fiber is a long rope made up of a series of thousands of similar
      blocks called sarcomeres, lined end to end to form a long chain. Each block attaches to the next sarcomere at the "Z line". Muscles
      function by shortening a little bit at each of the thousands of "Z lines". The "Z lines" all shorten simultaneously and the entire
      muscle then can contract. The "Z lines" are where muscles are damaged. It is damage to these "Z lines" that causes muscle growth
      after healing, which makes muscles stronger. (For a diagram see http://www.drmirkin.com/public/ezine120912.html )
      Muscles recover much faster from intense exercise when you take sugar and protein within one hour after finishing exercise.
      Exercise markedly increases sensitivity to insulin for about an hour after you finish exercising. This effect tapers off rapidly
      after that. Taking sugar causes a rise in insulin. Insulin drives amino acids from protein into muscle cells to help them heal
      The intestinal damage caused by Ibuprofen can interfere with absorption of food from the intestines and delay recovery and healing.

      ** How Endurance Exercise in Later Life May Prolong Lives
      Competitive long distance skiers, ages 66 to 77, have longer muscle telomeres and maximal ability to take in and use oxygen (VO2max)
      than other active people of the same age (PLoS One, Online December 26, 2012). Telomere length is a marker of aging. The older you
      are, the shorter your telomeres. If yourtelomeres are longer than those of your age group, you are younger than your chronological
      age and therefore can expect to live longer.
      Many studies show that endurance exercise is associated with
      * greater ability to take in and use oxygen
      * living longer,
      * less cancer,
      * less diabetes,
      * fewer heart attacks and strokes
      The authors state: "Our results suggest that endurance exercise training may . . . result in slowing of aging process by
      maintaining telomere length. The positive association of VO2max and telomere length underscores the importance of aerobic fitness
      for healthy aging."
      HOW TELOMERES PROTECT GENES: Genes govern your health, physical characteristics, susceptibility to disease and how long you live.
      They are located in chromosomes inside the cells in your body. At the ends of chromosomes are small caps, called telomeres, that
      protect chromosomes like the plastic tips on shoelaces. They keep the ends of chromosomes from sticking together and losing their
      ability to tell your cells what to do.
      Each time a cell divides, parts of the telomeres break off. Eventually the telomeres become so short that they cannot protect
      chromosomes from sticking together. This causes aging, certain diseases such as cancers, and eventually death.
      HOW EXERCISE PROTECTS TELOMERES: The more intensely you exercise, the more oxygen you need to help convert food to fuel your
      muscles. When you exercise so intensely that you have to breathe hard and fast, you increase your needs for oxygen. It is this
      markedly increased need for oxygen brought on by intense exercise that helps to slow down the rate that telomeres shorten with aging
      (Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2010;20: 39-48).
      SIGNIFICANCE OF THIS STUDY: In this study and several others, the level of fitness was associated with the length of telomeres.
      Fitness is measured by VO2max, the maximal ability of your muscles to take in and use oxygen. The higher the VO2max, the greater
      the length of telomeres in the older competitive athletes.
      From Dr. Gabe Mirkin at:

      4. RunCoachJason.com Newsletter:
      ** Running Pace
      I get asked all the time about what pace runners should do their easy runs. My answer is, "Easy enough that you can complete the
      distance and increase your weekly mileage over time without feeling like you're running yourself into the ground."
      The single biggest mistake runners make is running too fast on their easy days. By doing so, they add unnecessary stress to
      their legs without any extra benefit and they won't be able to run as much quality on their harder days. Speed-type runners (runners
      who fare better at shorter races) will have a greater difference between their race pace and easy running pace compared to
      endurance-type runners (runners who fare better at longer races). Since many of the cellular adaptations associated with aerobic
      training are volume-dependent, not intensity-dependent, the speed of easy runs is not as important as their duration. Running easy
      for your easy runs has at least three benefits: (1) it decreases the chance of injury, (2) it enables you to get more out of your
      harder days because you will be less fatigued, and (3) it enables you to increase your overall weekly mileage. Remember that it is
      the volume of aerobic running, not the speed, that represents the major stimulus for adaptation. If you have a heart rate monitor,
      your easy runs should be about 70 to 75 percent of maximum heart rate. You should be able to carry on a conversation and finish the
      run feeling pleasantly tired but not exhausted.
      To view past newsletters go to: http://www.runcoachjason.com/newsletter
      Copyright 2012 Jason Karp All Rights Reserved - http://www.runcoachjason.com

      5. #1 Marathon Training Error:
      Without a doubt, the #1 training error committed by marathoners is conducting their last long training run three weeks for before
      their race.
      Research shows that even after three weeks, marathoners' leg muscles are not completely recovered from their last long run. Four
      weeks or even longer is required for full recovery.
      During a long run, muscle fibres in your legs are damaged or destroyed. Leg muscles repair themselves during rest and recovery.
      Until the muscle tissue has repaired itself, the force that your leg muscles can apply is reduced, decreasing your ability to
      maintain running at race pace over long distance. We'll see that long runs result in far greater muscle fibre damage than
      A breakthrough Dutch research study found that two-thirds of marathoners already had significant amounts of muscular damage in their
      legs on race morning, even before they reached the starting line! They were not fully recovered from their last long run.
      More...from the IAWR at:

      6. Speed and strength training:
      With your endurance banked, now is the time to be working on your strength, speed, explosiveness and getting everything in order.
      Greg Nugent outlines a training guide to bring you up to pace.
      In my last couple of articles, I have talked about preparing for your race season, setting achievable goals for yourself and the
      importance of strength and endurance training over the winter period. With the race season just around the corner, you should be
      closing out your strength and endurance phase and moving your training into a strength and speed phase - this will involve brick
      sessions and some shorter, sharper, higher intensity sessions.
      Brick/combo sessions are extremely important in helping you get a feel for racing, as it somewhat simulates the real thing. A brick
      session involves riding and running in the same session, usually doing a set distance for the ride before doing a transition that
      takes you straight into a fast run to finish off the bike. A brick session could include: Warm-up, 3-4 x (15-min ride at 80 per
      cent, one km run at 85-90 per cent), cool-down. These sessions allow for leg speed to be developed after coming off the bike. I'll
      cover more of this later in the article.
      More...from Triathlon Magazine at:

      7. Energy Drinks Promise Edge, but Experts Say Proof Is Scant:
      Energy drinks are the fastest-growing part of the beverage industry, with sales in the United States reaching more than $10 billion
      in 2012 - more than Americans spent on iced tea or sports beverages like Gatorade.
      Their rising popularity represents a generational shift in what people drink, and reflects a successful campaign to convince
      consumers, particularly teenagers, that the drinks provide a mental and physical edge.
      The drinks are now under scrutiny by the Food and Drug Administration after reports of deaths and serious injuries that may be
      linked to their high caffeine levels. But however that review ends, one thing is clear, interviews with researchers and a review of
      scientific studies show: the energy drink industry is based on a brew of ingredients that, apart from caffeine, have little, if any
      benefit for consumers.
      More...from the NY Times at:

      8. The 1% Incline Treadmill "Myth":
      As is usual in winter, the interest on these forums concerning running on a treadmill is at a peak. There have been several threads
      recently on this subject on the Training and Marathon forums....perhaps on other forums, as well. In most of those threads, someone
      usually mentions the "guideline" of using a 1-2% incline when running on a treadmill to compensate for the lack of air resistance
      that one experiences when running outdoors. In fact, it happened again as recently as yesterday in a thread titled "OK to do LR on
      treadmill?" on the Training Forum.
      When I see mention of the "equalizing" incline factor, I often post a caution against blindly following the concept, as I did a few
      days ago in another thread on the Training Forum titled "Treadmill vs. Jogging On Ground". (See
      http://forums.runnersworld.com/message.jspa?messageID=7649859&tstart=50) In that same thread, there was a lengthy "debate"
      concerning the value of the incline adjustment, which I didn't read until yesterday. On one side of the debate was arepper, who
      postulated that: there is no merit to using the incline; running at zero incline on a treadmill is equal to running on a flat
      surface outdoors; and a study that ExPhysRunner referenced to demonstrate that need for a 1-2% incline is flawed. On the other side
      of the debate were ExPhysRunner, jwd1113 and dcx693 who argued that arepper's position had no scientific basis and theirs did.
      ExPhysRunner challenged arepper and anyone else to offer other studies that might shed more light on the subject. No one did. The
      debate finally ended when, I think, nothing was being resolved and all participants tired of it.
      More...from Runner's World at:

      9. Live Like A Clock: How Routine Aids Performance:
      Establishing and sticking to a routine is one of the easiest ways to maintain consistency in your workouts and to improve
      My college coach began each cross country season with an impassioned speech that helped lay the groundwork for our upcoming season.
      In that speech, he reminded us of the little things we needed to do each day to be successful. His principal advice, and the motto
      that stuck with me to this day, was to "live like a clock" - meaning, develop a routine that works with your schedule and to be
      religious about following that routine as closely as possible. I attribute this advice to a lot of my success as both a college and
      professional runner, and I think it can help you run faster as well.
      Establishing and sticking to a routine is one of the easiest ways to remain more consistent in your workouts and to improve
      performance on race day. "Living like a clock" results in less missed runs, greater physiological adaptations during workouts,
      better recovery, and improved eating and sleeping cycles.
      More...from Competitor Magazine at:

      10. Managing Your Physical Energy: 10 Must Do Strategies:
      Physical energy is the fundamental source of fuel in life. If you don't have enough physical energy, you won't have adequate
      emotional and mental energy. That's why it's imperative to eat right, get enough rest, and exercise regularly. Making that
      commitment will give your body and mind the best kind of energy. These 10 strategies are the most important ways to manage your
      physical energy:
      1.Go to bed early and wake up early.
      2.Go to sleep and wake up consistently at the same times.
      3.Eat 5 - 6 small meals per day.
      4.Eat breakfast every day.
      5. Eat a balanced healthy diet.
      6. Minimise simple sugars.
      7. Drink 48 - 64 ounces of water daily.
      8. Take breaks every 90 minutes during work.
      9. Get some daily physical activity.
      10. Do at least 2 cardio vascular workouts and 2 strength training workouts per week
      From Running 4 Women at:

      11. Iron Deficiency and Athletes:
      Iron is a trace element, meaning it is present in the body in extremely small amounts. However, it plays a critical role in human
      metabolism. Iron forms the oxygen transporting compounds in blood (hemoglobin) and in muscle (myoglobin). Iron absorption by the
      body is determined by the amount already stored relative to a constant level. In other words, the lower the stored levels of iron
      (called serum ferritin), the more room there is for iron absorption. Marginal iron intake creates a risk for low iron stores, which
      in turn can lead to iron deficiency anemia and poor oxygen carrying, diminished energy and poor athletic performance. When excess
      iron is absorbed (called hemochromatosis), the risk of liver or heart damage arises. Therefore iron intake is about keeping a
      Because iron deficiency is a buzz word in the athletic community, many athletes lean towards iron supplementation if they experience
      poor performance. However, iron deficiency is only one of the many causes of poor athletic performance or low energy levels in
      athletes. Iron supplementation is not recommended if iron levels stores are in fact normal because of vastly individual absorption
      rates. Before blaming iron as the low performance culprit, the metabolism of iron, the stages of low iron stores and iron deficiency
      anemia must be understood.
      More...from the Sport Factory at:

      12. Track Versus Road Workouts:
      Perhaps the two most agreed upon principles in training theory relate to specificity of training and changing the training stimulus.
      Simply speaking, it's widely accepted that to improve as a runner, you need to continually be introducing the body to new stimuli or
      stress in order to spur different adaptations. Moreover, to get better at a particular event, whether it's the mile, the marathon or
      any distance in between, you must perform workouts that mimic the exact demands of that event.
      I've previously discussed the principle of specific adaptation as it relates to workouts and formulating a long-term training plan.
      Likewise, many others have written about the principle of stress and recovery as the basic backbone of training. However, both of
      these approaches to the topic of specific adaptation and training stimuli have focused on straightforward aspects of training.
      These basic training principles can also be applied to the minute details of training, such as the surfaces you run on and what time
      of day you head out for your workout.
      More...from Triathlete Europe at:

      13. Good and Bad, the Little Things Add Up in Fitness:
      The past year in fitness has been alternately inspiring, vexing and diverting, as my revisiting of all of the Phys Ed columns
      published in 2012 makes clear. Taken as a whole, the latest exercise-related science tells us that the right types and amounts of
      exercise will almost certainly lengthen your life, strengthen your brain, affect your waistline and even clear debris from inside
      your body's cells. But too much exercise, other 2012 science intimates, might have undesirable effects on your heart, while popping
      painkillers, donning stilettos and sitting and reading this column likewise have their costs.
      With New Year's exercise resolutions still fresh and hopefully unbroken on this, day two of 2013, it now seems like the perfect time
      to review these and other lessons of the past year in fitness science.
      First, since I am habitually both overscheduled and indolent, I was delighted to report, as I did in June, that the "sweet sport"
      for health benefits seems to come from jogging or moderately working out for only a brief period a few times a week.
      More...from the NY Times at:

      14. Indoor Exercise: Tips for the New Year!
      This is the time of year where people in colder climates do more indoor exercise. People also make New Year's resolutions to get
      in shape. Some serious athletes use indoor training year round because it is possible to better control the exercise intensity and
      the overall effort of the training session on a treadmill or bicycle ergometer. All of this is easier now than it was 20-30 years
      ago before the widespread availability of well-equipped fitness centers.
      However, indoor exercise can be boring and it is easy to lose fitness this time of the year. Getting to the gym can be a hassle
      and short days along with the urge to sort of hibernate during the winter can make finding time to train a bit harder. So the
      question is how to get the most bang for your training buck until it gets warmer and the days get longer?
      One thing I do is interval train on the Treadmill 2-3 times per week. I start slowly about 6.1 miles per hour (mph) and then use a
      saw tooth pattern of increasing speed. I go up 0.5 mph on the even numbered minutes and down 0.2 mph on the odd numbered minutes.
      After about 10 minutes I get to a pace of around 7.7 mph and then do 10 repeats of 1 min at 7.7 mph followed by two minutes of
      running in the 8.5-9.5 mph range. The goal is for each of the two minute repeats to be at a faster speed. In interval training
      lingo that is known as "descending" the workout. A Lot of times I increase my pace by 0.1 mph every 10 breaths, so I pick it up
      during the fast part of the cycle. Counting your breaths is also a good way to learn to relax while you are running fast. Using
      this pattern, the first mile is almost exactly 9 minutes and then I try to do a bit over 4 miles in the next 31 minutes. The total
      session takes 40 minutes.
      More...from Human Limits at:

      15. How the Pros Stay Lean:
      The smartest way to manage your weight for endurance performance is to emulate the methods of the fastest men and women on the
      The leanest cyclists, runners and triathletes are typically also the fastest ones. This pattern holds even within the select ranks
      of the professionals. One study reported that in a small group of elite Ethiopian runners, all of whom were very lean and very fast,
      those with the least body fat had the best race times.
      Genes account for a portion of the difference in body-fat levels between individual endurance athletes. But there is a tendency
      among age groupers to overestimate the importance of the genetic contribution to leanness in pro athletes. We like to think that the
      world-class men and women who were blessed with the right DNA can eat whatever they want without putting on body fat.
      More...from Active.com at:

      *Please verify event dates with the event websites available from our FrontPage

      January 5, 2013:
      Ragnar Relay Florida Keys - Miami, FL

      January 6, 2013:
      Mississippi Blues Marathon - Jackson, MS

      June 22, 2013
      Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women

      mailto:runnersweb@yahoogroups.com and in our Runner's Web Forum,
      available off our FrontPage. If you post to the mailing list and
      mailto:webmaster@... to notify us of the problem. To update
      your Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the
      website at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RunnersWeb/join , sign in and
      update your changes.