Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest - November 2, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2012
      those of the Runner's Web. Visit the Runner's Web at http://www.runnersweb.com The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out
      our daily news, features, polls, trivia, bulletin boards and more.

      1. Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women - Canada's Fastest Women's 5K.
      The 2013 race will be run on June 22nd.
      Sports 4 is providing cash prizing as follows:
      First Overall $1000, Second Overall $750, Third Overall $550, Fourth Overall $400, Fifth Overall $300
      First Masters (40 & over*) $500
      There are cash prizes for the following:
      New Race Record: $1000, New Masters (40 & over*) Record: $500, New 5 Year Age Category Age : $100
      *age as of Dec 31, 2013
      For more on the race visit the website
      at: http://www.emiliesrun.com.

      3. Toronto Waterfront Marathon, date October 14, 2012
      The fastest men's and women's marathon on Canadian soil!
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/STWM_Transporter.html

      4. Goodlife Fitness Toronto Marathon - ~Online Registration is Now Open~
      Next year's race will be run on Sunday May 5, 2013
      http://www.torontomarathon.com/registration/online-registration.html

      5. Training Peaks
      The Runner's Web has partnered with Training Peaks to provide online
      coaching from experts such as Hal Higdon, Joel Friel and Matt
      Fitzgerald. Sign up at:
      https://home.trainingpeaks.com/create-account-personal-edition.aspx?af=RunnersWeb

      6. iRun Magazine
      iRun is Canada's highest-circulation and most popular running magazine. With a total distribution of 50,000 and more than 9,000
      subscribers, iRun is leading the market in the rapidly growing and highly desirable demographic of Canadian runners.
      http://www.irun.ca/

      7. Olympic Physical Therapy and Foot Orthotics:
      Olympic Physical Therapy and Foot Orthotics was founded in May of 2000 by Don Levine, MSPT and Bert Reid, DPT, to provide outpatient
      physical therapy and sports medicine rehabilitation to the residents of Rhode Island and South Eastern Massachusetts. Consistently
      assessing the needs of our communities while striving to provide the highest level of care and customer service. This has allowed
      Olympic and its staff to thrive and earn accolades such as, in 2007, becoming the first recipient of the Small Business of the Year
      award from The Newport Chamber of Commerce
      http://olympicpt-ri.com

      8. Penticton Challenge Triathlon:
      Welcome to Challenge Penticton, the first time a Challenge event will be held in North America and the exclusive Challenge Family
      race in Canada.
      Challenge Penticton is the race of a lifetime and the perfect way to train, compete and vacation in paradise. Join athletes from all
      over the world for the 3.8 km swim, the 180 km cycle and the 42.2 km run. Wave starts allow for relay team entries, opening the
      long-distance triathlon experience to more athletes.
      We pay the tax! Challenge Penticton will offer more value to athletes for less: Individual registration fees have been set at $675
      CDN, including all taxes, while teams will pay $800. Professional triathletes will benefit from a prize purse of more than $60,000
      CDN that pays down to 10th place.
      Register now to join Penticton on Aug. 2013 as the B.C. city is welcomed into the Challenge Family fold.
      The race website is at:
      http://www.challenge-penticton.com

      9. Marathon Bahamas:
      Perfect ocean breezes, swaying palm trees, and miles of white, sandy beaches caressed by crystalline waters - could there be a
      better backdrop for a marathon? Held in historic Nassau, the Sunshine Insurance Race Weekend is the ideal international winter
      running event, and only a 30-minute flight from South Florida.
      Athletes from 25 countries and 37 states have flocked to the idyllic island capital for what has become the signature endurance
      event of the country. The flat, fast 26.2-mile course features the best focal points of the Bahamas with an oceanfront start and
      finish, stunning cityscapes, historic charm, and miles of unobstructed views of aquamarine water.
      Kicking off at Junkaboo Beach, marathoners will weave through quaint downtown Nassau, lined with historic buildings, the glitz and
      glam of Paradise Island, and then hug the northern Shores of Cable Beach before crossing the finish line at Arawak Cay.
      All participants receive a technical race shirt, runner swag bag, commemorative finisher medal, and access to an awesome post-race
      beach party where fatigued finishers can load up on great food, cold beer, and music.
      Website: http://marathonbahamas.com

      ASSOCIATIONS:
      The Runner's Web is a member of Running USA, The National Professional
      Organization for the Running Industry.
      http://www.runningusa.org/

      NEW SUBSCRIBERS: Check the "New Subscribers' note at the bottom of the
      newsletter

      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is available
      [Long URL] The Digest is also available through other RSS Readers on request.

      Get the Runner's Web button for the Google Toolbar 4 for Internet
      Explorer from the link on our FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com .

      TWITTER
      Follow us on Twitter at:
      http://twitter.com/runnersweb

      FACEBOOK
      We have reached the limit of 5000 friends on our Facebook page so we have added a Fans page at:
      http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/RunnersWebcom-Inc/189255654487874?sk=wall
      To join the Runner's Web Facebook group, if you are not a member of Facebook, you
      Join the almost 1,000 subscribers to the Runner's Web Facebook feeds.

      Event directors, add your event to our Event Calendar at:
      http://runnersweb.mhsoftware.com/

      We have 2742 subscribers as of publication time. Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they subscribe at:

      THE STRETCHING HANDBOOK
      The Stretching Handbook has gained a reputation as one of the most user friendly publications on stretching, flexibility and sports
      injury prevention. It's been endorsed by some of the biggest names in the health and fitness industry, and received rave reviews and
      testimonials from hundreds of satisfied customers worldwide.
      And now there's the perfect companion to The Stretching Handbook: The Stretching DVD! There's over 100 minutes of individual
      stretching exercises for every major muscle group in your body, and customized routines for the Upper Body, the Lower Body and the
      Neck, Back & Core.
      Visit the site at: http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/cmd.php?af=245575

      ROAD RUNNER SPORTS
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/Mobile_RRS.html

      * Sports Nutrition by Sheila Kealey. Sheila is one of Ottawa's top
      multisport athletes and a member of the OAC Racing Team and X-C Ottawa. She has a Masters in Public Health and works in the field of
      nutritional epidemiology as a Research Associate with the University of California, San Diego. Her column index is available at:

      http://www.pponline.co.uk

      community. We have ONE personal posting this week.
      ONE:
      Calling all RUNNERS! What motivates you to run? What is your favorite race distance? How often do you run? You are being invited to
      participate in Running USA's National Runner Survey, a comprehensive survey to assess the demographics, lifestyle, attitudes,
      habits, and product preferences of the running population nationwide. The National Runner Survey is easy to access and available
      online. All responses are completely anonymous and confidential. Don't miss this opportunity to join other runners nationwide! To
      access the survey, click here: National Runner Survey: http://www.surveymk.com/s/NRS13RunnersWeb
      Select Runners Web as the organization that invited you to participate

      THIS WEEK'S DIGEST ARTICLE INDEX:

      1. Exercise Boosts Satisfaction With Life, Researchers Find
      2. Iron Deficiency and Athletes
      3. Muscle Pain and Soreness After Exercise
      4. Exercise May Protect Against Brain Shrinkage
      5. Body Weight Training: Emerging Trend In Annual ACSM Fitness Survey
      6. Managing Lower Back Pain
      7. Angry coaches beware: Athletes respond poorly to negative feedback, studies find
      8. "Invisible Shoes" and the Energy Savings of Cushioning
      9. Athletics: Avoid Burn Out!
      10. How to Carbo-Load for a Marathon
      11. Is (or Was) Your Race Objective Realistic?
      12. Base Mistakes
      13. What Kenyans Can Teach Us About Running Economy and Efficiency
      14. VO2max - The monthly newsletter of RunCoachJason.com
      15. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health e-Zine

      THIS WEEK'S POLL:
      Should the New York City marathon have been cancelled?
      Yes
      No
      No Opinion

      Vote at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/rw_vote.html

      PREVIOUS POLL RESULTS:
      Which of the following workouts do you incorporate into your training on a regular basis?
      Answers Percent Votes
      1 Long Runs 16% 94
      2 Tempo Runs 14% 80
      3 Hill Training 13% 73
      4 Pace Intervals 13% 76
      5 Speed Intervals 13% 77
      6 Running Drills 12% 68
      7 Pilates, Yoga, etc. 11% 63
      8 Other 7% 41
      Total Votes: 572

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage (http://www.runnersweb.com) as well as checking the results of previous polls.

      FIVE STAR SITE OF THE MONTH: Run Britain
      About runbritain
      Mission Statement:
      runbritain's mission statement is to make British road running the best in the world in terms of organisation, development and
      performance
      Visit the web site at:
      http://www.runbritain.com

      BOOK/VIDEO/MOVIE OF THE MONTH: Hansons Marathon Method.
      A Renegade Path to Your Fastest Marathon
      Luke Humphrey with Keith and Kevin Hanson
      In Hansons Marathon Method, the coaches of the Hansons-Brooks Distance Project reveal the methods they've used to turn their runners
      into race winners, national champions, and Olympians. Hansons Marathon Method offers a radical overhaul of marathon training that
      promises to turn any runner into a true marathoner and help experienced marathoners set new personal bests.
      Hansons Marathon Method does away with mega long runs and high mileage weekends-two outdated traditions that make most runners
      miserable. Instead, runners using the Hansons method will gradually build up to the moderate-high mileage required for marathon
      success, spreading those miles more sensibly throughout the week. Running easy days mixed with precisely paced speed, strength, and
      tempo workouts, runners will steel their bodies and minds to run the hardest miles of the marathon.
      Both Beginner and Advanced training programs feature the unique Hansons 16-mile long run which, as part of the Hansons program, is
      ideal for preparing the body for the marathon. Humphrey explains how runners should set their goal race pace and shows how to
      customize the Hansons method to their own needs, like adding extra racing, running more miles, and handling training interruptions.
      Detailed nutrition and hydration chapters help runners pinpoint their personal energy and hydration needs so they know precisely how
      much to eat and drink during workouts, race week, race day, and for recovery. The Hansons approach to pacing and nutrition means
      marathoners will never hit the wall.
      Hansons Marathon Method lays out the smartest marathon training program available from one of the most accomplished running groups
      in the nation. Using this innovative approach, runners will mold real marathon muscles, train their body to never hit the wall, and
      prepare to run their fastest marathon.
      Buy the book or download a preview from Velopress at:
      http://velopress.com/books/hansons-marathon-method/

      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/human_kinetics.html and
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/velopress.html

      THIS WEEK'S FEATURES:

      1. Exercise Boosts Satisfaction With Life, Researchers Find:
      Had a bad day? Extending your normal exercise routine by a few minutes may be the solution, according to Penn State researchers, who
      found that people's satisfaction with life was higher on days when they exercised more than usual.
      "We found that people's satisfaction with life was directly impacted by their daily physical activity," said Jaclyn Maher, graduate
      student in kinesiology. "The findings reinforce the idea that physical activity is a health behavior with important consequences for
      daily well-being and should be considered when developing national policies to enhance satisfaction with life."
      The team examined the influence of physical activity on satisfaction with life among emerging adults ages 18 to 25 years because
      this population's sense of well-being appears to worsen more quickly than at any other time during adulthood.
      More...from Science Daily at:
      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/10/121025161751.htm

      2. Iron Deficiency and Athletes:
      Iron is a trace element, meaning it is present in the body in extremely small amounts. However, it plays a critical role in human
      metabolism. Iron forms the oxygen transporting compounds in blood (hemoglobin) and in muscle (myoglobin). Iron absorption by the
      body is determined by the amount already stored relative to a constant level. In other words, the lower the stored levels of iron
      (called serum ferritin), the more room there is for iron absorption. Marginal iron intake creates a risk for low iron stores, which
      in turn can lead to iron deficiency anemia and poor oxygen carrying, diminished energy and poor athletic performance. When excess
      iron is absorbed (called hemochromatosis), the risk of liver or heart damage arises. Therefore iron intake is about keeping a
      balance.
      Because iron deficiency is a buzz word in the athletic community, many athletes lean towards iron supplementation if they experience
      poor performance. However, iron deficiency is only one of the many causes of poor athletic performance or low energy levels in
      athletes. Iron supplementation is not recommended if iron levels stores are in fact normal because of vastly individual absorption
      rates. Before blaming iron as the low performance culprit, the metabolism of iron, the stages of low iron stores and iron deficiency
      anemia must be understood.
      More...from the Sport Factory at:
      http://thesportfactory.com/site/nutritionnews/Iron_Deficiency_and_Athletes.shtml

      3. Muscle Pain and Soreness After Exercise:
      Tips for dealing with delayed muscle soreness after exercise.
      Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) describes a phenomenon of muscle pain, muscle soreness or muscle stiffness that occurs in the
      day or two after exercise. This muscle soreness is most frequently felt when you begin a new exercise program, change your exercise
      routine, or dramatically increase the duration or intensity of your exercise routine
      Although it can be alarming for new exercisers, delayed onset muscle soreness is a normal response to unusual exertion and is part
      of an adaptation process that leads to greater stamina and strength as the muscles recover and build hypertrophy).
      More...from About.com Sports Medicine at:
      http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/injuries/a/doms.htm

      4. Exercise May Protect Against Brain Shrinkage:
      Remaining physically active as you age, a new study shows, may help protect parts of your brain from shrinking, a process that has
      been linked to declines in thinking and memory skills. Physical exercise not only protected against such age-related brain changes,
      but also had more of an effect than mentally and socially stimulating activities.
      In the new report, published in the journal Neurology, a team at the University of Edinburgh followed more than 600 people, starting
      at age 70. The subjects provided details on their daily physical, mental and social activities.
      Three years later, using imaging scans, the scientists found that the subjects who engaged in the most physical exercise, including
      walking several times a week, had less shrinkage and damage in the brain's white matter, which is considered the "wiring" of the
      brain's communication system. The relationship remained even after the researchers controlled for things like age, health status,
      social class and I.Q.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/26/exercise-may-protect-against-brain-shrinkage/

      5. Body Weight Training: Emerging Trend In Annual ACSM Fitness Survey
      ACSM experts examine what's hot and what's not in the health and fitness industry
      INDIANAPOLIS - The old expression "everything old is new again" rings true for the upcoming year's trends in fitness, according to a
      new survey released by the American College of Sports Medicine. In ACSM's annual worldwide survey of fitness trends, body weight
      training-which includes back-to-basics exercises like push-ups, planks, pull-ups, squats and other exercises which use the body as
      resistance-appears in the top 10 for the first time.
      "Body weight exercises are a proven way to get and stay fit." said Walt Thompson Ph.D., FACSM, of Georgia State University, who
      authored the study. "In a time when many people are concerned with cutting expenses, body weight exercises are a great way to feel
      great and look toned without a big financial investment."
      In addition to adding body weight training as a new trend for 2013, this year's survey supports some of the previous trends and
      re-established two trends from previous surveys. Pilates, balance training, and the stability ball are trends that previously been
      listed in the top 20 but have not re-appeared on the list after they dropped off the list a couple of years ago.
      The survey, now in its seventh year, was completed by 3,346 health and fitness professionals worldwide (certified by ACSM and other
      organizations) and was designed to reveal trends in various fitness environments. Thirty-seven potential trends were given as
      choices, and the top 20 were ranked and discussed in the survey report. The trends research is a much-anticipated annual feature of
      ACSM's Health & Fitness JournalR.
      The top ten fitness trends predicted for 2013 are:
      1. Educated, Certified and Experienced Fitness Professionals:Educated and experienced fitness professionals claimed the top spot in
      2013 for the sixth consecutive year. Fully accredited education and certification programs for health/fitness professionals are on
      the rise. There seems to be an exponential growth of educational programs at community colleges, undergraduate programs, and
      graduate programs at colleges and universities, which have become accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health
      Education Programs through the Committee on Accreditation for the Exercise Sciences and more certification programs accredited by
      the National Commission for Certifying Agencies. The importance of obtaining certification through academic accreditation is highly
      recognized by the fitness industry.
      2. Strength Training: Remaining in the #2 spot for the second year in a row, this trend is important for men, women, young and old
      to improve or maintain strength. Most health and fitness professionals today incorporate strength training into a comprehensive
      exercise routine for their clients and for patients with stable diseases.
      3. Body Weight Training: This is the first appearance of this trend in the survey. Body weight training uses minimal equipment
      making it more affordable. Not just limited to push-ups and pull-ups this trend allows people to get "back to the basics" with
      fitness.
      4. Children and Obesity: The epidemic of overweight or obesity in children continues to be a serious public health problem. Schools
      have an emphasis on scholastic achievement limiting the time spent on physical education and nutrition programming. The primary
      source of physical activity for kids could fall into the hands of the health/fitness industry along with fitness professionals.
      Corporate and clinical programs also may see this as an opportunity to develop specialized physical activity programs for children
      of their staff and clients.
      5. Exercise and Weight Loss: Incorporating diet and exercise, increasing caloric expenditure and decreasing caloric intake, is of
      growing interest among fitness professionals. More and more of these professionals are finding the need to be able to provide the
      right fitness program to balance the energy expenditure/energy consumption scale.
      6. Fitness Programs for Older Adults: The baby boom generation is growing older and living longer. Physicians are recommending that
      these patients enroll in some form of physical activity, thus more opportunities for physical fitness are being provided. Since this
      group typically has more discretionary money and time than others, fitness clubs should be capitalizing on this market. Fitness
      professionals should develop programs for the highly active older adult (the athletic old) with more rigorous activities and for the
      less active adult with more of an emphasis on functional fitness.
      7. Personal Training: Personal trainers are accessible to more people in all areas of health and fitness through employment in
      community-based programs, commercial settings, corporate wellness programs and medical fitness programs. More attention is being
      paid to the education and certification of trainers.
      8. Functional Fitness: Functional fitness uses strength training to improve balance, coordination, and endurance in order to
      participate in daily activities without any stress. This fitness program is designed to reflect the actual activities the client
      performs throughout any given day. Often times this program is created for older adults.
      9. Core Training: Core training stresses strength and conditioning of the stabilizing muscles of the abdomen, thorax, and back. It
      typically includes exercises of the hips, lower back, and abdomen, all of which provide support for the spine and thorax. Exercising
      core muscles improves overall stability of the trunk and transfers that to the extremities, enabling the individual to meet the
      demands for activities of daily living and sports performance.
      10. Group Personal Training: This trend allows the personal trainer to provide individualized service catered to small groups of two
      to four people. Due to the economic times both trainer and client have needed to come up with different options for personalized
      training on a budget. This allows groups to have a discounted rate, while still giving the trainer a full schedule of clients.
      The full list of top 20 trends is available in the article "Worldwide Survey of Fitness Trends for 2013."
      As the holidays approach, interest in health and fitness resolutions builds. Adding to the urgency is the alarming U.S. epidemic of
      obesity and physical inactivity, with research continuing to underscore the relationship between exercise and health. Those seeking
      to help people of all ages and conditions become and remain physically active look to ACSM research for evidence-based
      recommendations.
      The American College of Sports Medicine is the largest sports medicine and exercise science organization in the world.More than
      45,000 international, national and regional members and certified professionals are dedicated to advancing and integrating
      scientific research to provide educational and practical applications of exercise science and sports medicine.
      ACSM's Health and Fitness JournalR is an official publication of the American College of Sports Medicine, and is available from
      Lippincott Williams & Wilkins at 1-800-638-6423.

      6. Managing Lower Back Pain:
      Wharton's simple solutions.
      Back pain is one of the most common ailments. In the U.S. alone it results in 65 million doctor visits annually and afflicts
      anywhere from 70 to 85 percent of the population at some point in their lives. Low back pain can appear as sharp or dull localized
      pain, radiating pain, or intermittent pain or compression.
      WHAT IT IS
      The musculature in the sacroiliac region can be compromised due to functional or anatomical leg-length discrepancies, structural
      changes in the spinal discs, and contracted or imbalanced muscles from training, sitting or other repetitive stresses.
      RESET IT
      DOUBLE-LEG PELVIC TILT
      Lie on your back. Begin with both knees bent and feet flat on the surface on which you're lying. Place your hands behind your
      knees/thighs to prevent pressure on the knees and provide a little assistance toward the end of the movement. Using your abdominals
      and quadriceps, lift your legs toward your chest until you can go no farther. Gently assist with your hands, but do not pull. Hold
      the end range of motion for 1.5-2 seconds and return to the start position. Perform eight to 10 repetitions per set.
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=27356

      7. Angry coaches beware: Athletes respond poorly to negative feedback, studies find:
      When volatile New York Rangers coach John Tortorella tears a strip off one of his own star players, as he did to sniper Marian
      Gaborik during last season's NHL playoffs, it makes for interesting viewing. But does it help Gaborik play better?
      According to sports psychologists, the line between physical and psychological is blurrier than you might think. Thanks to the
      influence of hormones like testosterone, getting your motivation and mental state right can give you a powerful physical boost - but
      getting it wrong, as Tortorella's tirades might do, can hobble you.
      More...from the Globe and Mail at:

      8. "Invisible Shoes" and the Energy Savings of Cushioning:
      Does the cushioning in running shoes do anything useful? That's a bit of a controversial topic these days, with people like Chris
      McDougall arguing that "cushioned running shoes are a fraud" that don't help and probably hurt you. Back in February, Rodger Kram
      and his colleagues at the University of Colorado published a neat study that showed that the cushioning in running shoes actually
      saves energy when you run. Without cushioning, the theory goes, your leg muscles have to do some work to absorb the impact of
      landing, which costs energy.
      That first study compared shod and barefoot running, using small weights to equalize the mass on the runners' feet. (For every 100
      grams of shoe mass, you spend about 1% more energy running.) That left open the question of whether strapping these small weights to
      the runners' feet distorted the results. The new study, by Kryztopher Tung, Jason Frank and Kram, presented over the summer at the
      American Society of Biomechanics meeting, gets around that with a totally different approach: "invisible shoes." Instead of
      cushioning the shoes, they cushioned the ground!
      More...from Sweat Science at:
      http://sweatscience.runnersworld.com/2012/10/invisible-shoes-and-the-energy-savings-of-cushioning/

      9. Athletics: Avoid Burn Out!
      Training is not black or white. It does not translate into 'win or lose'. You are not expected to 'go all out or do nothing'. If
      your training is beginning to resemble this, then that once enjoyable activity which used to offer stress relief now itself becomes
      a source of stress. And that stress will eventually trigger burnout.
      Ask yourself: Why are you training?
      Is it to escape from other life issues? To escape stress?
      Are you chasing high goals that ultimately do not give you the satisfaction you hoped for, when you reach them?
      Do you impose rigidity on yourself unnecessarily, such as training in bad weather or when you are not feeling well?
      Are you allowing yourself to vary your workouts or are you continuing with the same thing, all the time?
      Does your race suddenly not feel FUN anymore, but rather like a highly competitive endeavor (against yourself or others) riddled
      with self- criticism and intolerance?
      Find the fun again!
      seems to have dissipated?
      More...from the Runner's Web at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/news_2012/rw_news_20121024_AW_Avoid_Burnout.html

      10. How to Carbo-Load for a Marathon:
      It appears that despite the depredations of the big storm, the New York City Marathon is likely to take place as scheduled on
      Sunday. While the 47,000 runners entered have too little time to remedy any major lapses in training, there is one element that can
      still be tweaked, two new studies show: what to eat in the days before the race.
      The ideal composition of a pre-marathon diet has been somewhat in dispute recently. For years, marathoners were told that they
      should swallow as many carbohydrates as possible in the week leading up to the race in order to "load" their muscles with stored
      carbohydrates, or glycogen, the readiest energy source for working muscles.
      But such prolonged carbo-loading often leaves runners bloated and heavy; when muscles pack in glycogen, they also add water, and
      therefore weight, which must be hefted throughout the 26.2 miles of the marathon. Women, in particular, have been found in some
      studies to benefit little, if at all, from prolonged carbo-loading before marathons
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/31/how-to-carbo-load-for-a-marathon/?ref=health

      11. Is (or Was) Your Race Objective Realistic?
      Meeting runners at race expos provides an opportunity to chat and discuss race preparedness. Many have a specific time goal for
      their race. We are sometimes asked our opinion if a runner's race day objective is achievable. All too often, the goal time is based
      upon a wish. It's not based upon a measurable indication of any sort. These runners usually fall short of achieving their time
      objective in their race.
      Sometimes, the opposite scenario occurs. A runner underestimates what she is capable of accomplishing on race day.
      More...from the IAWR at:
      http://www.iawr-connect.com/training/is-or-was-your-race-objective-realistic/

      12. Base Mistakes:
      A well-designed base training phase is crucial for annual progress, but it is often taken for granted as the "easy" time of year.
      The term "base" indicates what subsequent training will be built on, and is in fact the time to consider what gaps in your training
      the season has missed. To make the most of your base phase, you may need to dispose of a few myths and rationalizations.
      I need a month off. Coming off your last season peak, a good rest is in order, but total rest is not. Fitness atrophies very
      quickly, and 4 weeks off may require up to 8 to 12 weeks to regain the lost fitness. A transition phase is a much better plan. This
      is a time for your body to recover physically and mentally while maintaining a level of fitness. Some studies have shown training
      volume can be reduced by as much as 80%, yet a level of fitness will be maintained with a well-designed transition phase. Do not
      shut your training down completely.
      Base=Miles . Training for a distance event such as a marathon or triathlon over several hours requires a lot of aerobic level miles.
      Many athletes attempt to maintain a large amount of endurance placing needless wear and tear on the body. You cannot hold marathon
      or Ironman level endurance year round. Base training for these events may mean a reduction from peak miles and more focus on
      strength, power, and economy. Save the race distance workouts for the peaking phases for these events.
      More...from the Sport Factory at:
      http://thesportfactory.com/site/trainingnews/basemistakes.shtml

      13. What Kenyans Can Teach Us About Running Economy and Efficiency:
      Efficiency and economy is vital to your ultimate success as a runner, so it's worth spending some time examining these two elements
      a bit more closely. The women of the Kikuyu tribe in Kenya provide an excellent lesson of optimal body position and movement that
      can be applied to athletes who wish to improve their running efficiency and economy, and get faster.
      What Is the Energy Cost of Running?
      We know that the energy cost of running is clearly connected to the generation of muscular force into the ground, as reported in the
      journal, Nature. In fact, we discuss this almost daily in our lab at Pursuit Athletic Performance. Think of it this way: It's what
      is often known or referred to as the "bouncy ball" effect. If I were to take a bouncy ball and throw it to the ground, the harder I
      throw it, the faster it will come off the ground and the farther it will travel back into the air. The bottom line: Assuming a
      runner is carrying "X" percent body mass, energy expenditure to run at any pace would be roughly equal to "X."
      More...from Active.com at:
      http://tinyurl.com/buvyg2z

      14. VO2max - The monthly newsletter of RunCoachJason.com:
      ** Stride Length & Stride Rate
      In simple terms, running speed equals stride length times stride rate. If you want to get faster, you have to increase either or
      both of these stride components. I often hear coaches tell their athletes to do specific workouts to increase their stride rates.
      However, research (including my own), has shown that stride length increases preferentially over stride rate with increasing
      distance running speed. Stride rate changes only slightly, hovering between 80 to 90 steps per minute with each leg. The stability
      in stride rate has also been found as speed decreases due to fatigue. My own dissertation research, in which I examined the
      coordination between breathing and stride rate, showed that average stride rate increased from 79 steps per minute at a very easy
      speed (70% of ventilatory threshold) to 87 steps per minute at 5K race pace. The faster runners didn't necessarily take more steps
      than the slower runners, as there was only a modest correlation between stride rate and 5K speed, with stride rate explaining only
      38% of the variance in speed among runners. Stride length explains a much greater amount of variance in speed. Past research has
      suggested that the unconscious manipulation of stride length and stride rate at different speeds may be governed by what is most
      economical for the runner, such that there is a most economical stride length at a given speed and a most economical stride rate at
      all distance running speeds. So, if you want to get faster, focus on increasing your stride length by increasing hip extension at
      push-off and by increasing the amount of force produced against the ground at push-off rather than try to take quicker steps
      ** Run-Fit Training Programs
      Want a fast, guaranteed way to run your best race? RunCoachJason.com offers state-of-the-art training programs by digital download,
      complete with coaching instructions and detailed workout explanations, for 5K, 10K, half-marathon, and marathon for beginner,
      intermediate, and advanced endurance-type and speed-type runners. With these programs, you'll feel like you have your own coach!
      To download your own training program and be on your way to a new personal record, go to
      http://www.runcoachjason.com/trainingprograms
      To view past newsletters go to: http://www.runcoachjason.com/newsletter
      Copyright 2012 Jason Karp All Rights Reserved - http://www.runcoachjason.com

      15. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health e-Zine:
      ** Muscle Fatigue
      When you exercise for a long time, your muscles start to burn and feel sore, which forces you to slow down. You call this fatigue
      and tiredness, but a recent study from Japan shows that muscle fatigue is caused by damage to the muscle itself (Medicine & Science
      in Sports & Exercise, July 2005). This also explains why exercising long and hard enough to feel the burn for an extended period
      leaves your muscles sore for one or more days afterwards. Athletes call this Delayed-Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) and they learn
      that they have to have this next-day soreness to improve for competition.
      Running is much more fatiguing than cycling. When you run, your heel hits the ground and stops your leg from moving. This sudden
      stopping with each foot strike stretches your contracting muscles and tears them to cause a lot of muscle damage. It's called
      eccentric contractions of muscle and occurs with far less force in cycling. You pedal with a smooth rotary motion and do not stop
      suddenly. The eccentric contractions during running cause a high degree of muscle injuries, limit how far person can run fast, and
      require far more rest days or easy days than cyclists use in their training programs.
      Since muscle fatigue during endurance competitions is caused by muscle damage, anything that strengthens muscles will improve
      performance in endurance events. The only way to make a muscle stronger is to damage the muscle with hard exercise, feel sore on the
      next day, exercise more easily on as many days as it takes for the soreness to go away, and then exercise vigorously again. Athletes
      in competitive sports must exercise at a reduced intensity on the days that their muscles feel sore. This makes muscles more fibrous
      and resistant to injury so that muscles can withstand greater forces when athletes exercise on their hard days.
      ** Sugar During Exercise Increases Power and Endurance
      A study from Copenhagen, Denmark shows that taking sugar while you exercise increases the amount of training you can do, and does
      not lessen the benefits of your increased training (Journal of Applied Physiology, June 2009). In this study, men trained one leg
      while ingesting a 6 percent sugar drink and the other leg while taking an artificially sweetened (sugarless) drink, two hours a day,
      on alternate days, five days a week. The legs trained with sugar had 14 percent more power and a 30 percent greater time to
      exhaustion.
      Athletes in sports requiring endurance need to train in their sport many hours each day. They damage their muscles by taking a hard
      workout on one day, feel sore on the next, and then take less intense workouts for as many days as it takes for the muscles to heal
      and the soreness to go away. The more intense the training workout without injury, the more intensely they can compete. The longer
      they can go on their less intense recovery days, the tougher their muscles become to withstand the tremendous forces on them during
      their hard workouts and during competition.
      Anything that can increase the intensity of their hard days or amount of work they can do on their recovery days will make them
      better in competition. Running out of muscle sugar makes you feel tired. So anything that preserves stored sugar in muscles during a
      workout will help you exercise longer. This study shows that taking sugar regularly during workouts allows you to extend the amount
      of training without lessening the benefits that you receive from the extra work.
      The question had been asked whether restricting sugar during training could enhance performance by teaching the muscles to get along
      with less sugar. These authors showed that the enzymes used to convert sugar and fat to energy function just as well when sugar is
      taken continuously during exercise. The muscles trained on sugar had no loss in the amount of stored sugar or the ability to convert
      food to energy.
      Another study showed that taking a drink containing both protein and sugar every three miles and at the finish of a 36-mile bicycle
      time trial was far more effective than a drink containing just sugar in 1) riding faster at the end of the time trial, 2) preventing
      next-day muscle soreness and 3) lessening muscle damage, as measured by a blood test called CPk (International Journal of Sport
      Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, April 2009). A protein-sugar drink taken immediately after intense exercise also hastens healing
      of the muscles damaged by hard exercise (Journal of Applied Physiology, April 2009).
      Taking refined carbohydrates (sugar or flour) when you are not exercising can cause a high rise in blood sugar that increases risk
      for diabetes and heart attacks. Contracting muscles remove sugar so fast from the bloodstream that blood sugar usually does not rise
      too high during exercise and for up to half an hour after you finish exercising.
      From Dr Gabe Mirkin at:
      http://www.drmirkin.com

      THIS WEEK'S FEATURED EVENTS:
      *Please verify event dates with the event websites available from our FrontPage
      (www.runnersweb.com)

      November 3, 2012:
      Rock 'n' Roll Savannah Marathon & 1/2 Marathon - Savannah, GA

      November 4, 2012:
      ING New York City Marathon - New York, NY

      Clarita Marathon - Santa Clarita, CA

      June 22, 2013
      Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women
      http://www.emiliesrun.com

      mailto:runnersweb@yahoogroups.com and in our Runner's Web Forum,
      available off our FrontPage. If you post to the mailing list and
      mailto:webmaster@... to notify us of the problem. To update
      your Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the
      website at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RunnersWeb/join , sign in and
      update your changes.

      Ken

      Ken Parker
      www.RunnersWeb.com
      mailto:kparker@...
      613-746-4053
      http://www.OACRacingTeam.com
      http://www.EmiliesRun.com

      *** END OF RUNNER'S AND TRIATHLETE'S WEB DIGEST...***