Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest - October 5, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2012
      those of the Runner's Web. Visit the Runner's Web at http://www.runnersweb.com The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out
      our daily news, features, polls, trivia, bulletin boards and more.

      1. Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women - Canada's Fastest Women's 5K.
      The 2013 race will be run on June 22nd.
      Sports 4 is providing cash prizing as follows:
      First Overall $1000, Second Overall $750, Third Overall $550, Fourth Overall $400, Fifth Overall $300
      First Masters (40 & over*) $500
      There are cash prizes for the following:
      New Race Record: $1000, New Masters (40 & over*) Record: $500, New 5 Year Age Category Age : $100
      *age as of Dec 31, 2013
      For more on the race visit the website
      at: http://www.emiliesrun.com.

      3. Toronto Waterfront Marathon, date October 14, 2012
      The fastest men's and women's marathon on Canadian soil!
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/STWM_Transporter.html

      4. Goodlife Fitness Toronto Marathon - ~Online Registration is Now Open~
      Next year's race will be run on Sunday May 5, 2013
      http://www.torontomarathon.com/registration/online-registration.html

      5. Training Peaks
      The Runner's Web has partnered with Training Peaks to provide online
      coaching from experts such as Hal Higdon, Joel Friel and Matt
      Fitzgerald. Sign up at:
      https://home.trainingpeaks.com/create-account-personal-edition.aspx?af=RunnersWeb

      6. iRun Magazine
      iRun is Canada's highest-circulation and most popular running magazine. With a total distribution of 50,000 and more than 9,000
      subscribers, iRun is leading the market in the rapidly growing and highly desirable demographic of Canadian runners.
      http://www.irun.ca/

      7. Olympic Physical Therapy and Foot Orthotics:
      Olympic Physical Therapy and Foot Orthotics was founded in May of 2000 by Don Levine, MSPT and Bert Reid, DPT, to provide outpatient
      physical therapy and sports medicine rehabilitation to the residents of Rhode Island and South Eastern Massachusetts. Consistently
      assessing the needs of our communities while striving to provide the highest level of care and customer service. This has allowed
      Olympic and its staff to thrive and earn accolades such as, in 2007, becoming the first recipient of the Small Business of the Year
      award from The Newport Chamber of Commerce
      http://olympicpt-ri.com

      8. Penticton Challenge Triathlon:
      Welcome to Challenge Penticton, the first time a Challenge event will be held in North America and the exclusive Challenge Family
      race in Canada.
      Challenge Penticton is the race of a lifetime and the perfect way to train, compete and vacation in paradise. Join athletes from all
      over the world for the 3.8 km swim, the 180 km cycle and the 42.2 km run. Wave starts allow for relay team entries, opening the
      long-distance triathlon experience to more athletes.
      We pay the tax! Challenge Penticton will offer more value to athletes for less: Individual registration fees have been set at $675
      CDN, including all taxes, while teams will pay $800. Professional triathletes will benefit from a prize purse of more than $60,000
      CDN that pays down to 10th place.
      Register now to join Penticton on Aug. 2013 as the B.C. city is welcomed into the Challenge Family fold.
      The race website is at:
      http://www.challenge-penticton.com

      9. Marathon Bahamas:
      Perfect ocean breezes, swaying palm trees, and miles of white, sandy beaches caressed by crystalline waters - could there be a
      better backdrop for a marathon? Held in historic Nassau, the Sunshine Insurance Race Weekend is the ideal international winter
      running event, and only a 30-minute flight from South Florida.
      Athletes from 25 countries and 37 states have flocked to the idyllic island capital for what has become the signature endurance
      event of the country. The flat, fast 26.2-mile course features the best focal points of the Bahamas with an oceanfront start and
      finish, stunning cityscapes, historic charm, and miles of unobstructed views of aquamarine water.
      Kicking off at Junkaboo Beach, marathoners will weave through quaint downtown Nassau, lined with historic buildings, the glitz and
      glam of Paradise Island, and then hug the northern Shores of Cable Beach before crossing the finish line at Arawak Cay.
      All participants receive a technical race shirt, runner swag bag, commemorative finisher medal, and access to an awesome post-race
      beach party where fatigued finishers can load up on great food, cold beer, and music.
      Website: http://marathonbahamas.com

      ASSOCIATIONS:
      The Runner's Web is a member of Running USA, The National Professional
      Organization for the Running Industry.
      http://www.runningusa.org/

      NEW SUBSCRIBERS: Check the "New Subscribers' note at the bottom of the
      newsletter

      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is available
      [Long URL] The Digest is also available through other RSS Readers on request.

      Get the Runner's Web button for the Google Toolbar 4 for Internet
      Explorer from the link on our FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com .

      TWITTER
      Follow us on Twitter at:
      http://twitter.com/runnersweb

      FACEBOOK
      We have reached the limit of 5000 friends on our Facebook page so we have added a Fans page at:
      http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/RunnersWebcom-Inc/189255654487874?sk=wall
      To join the Runner's Web Facebook group, if you are not a member of Facebook, you
      Join the almost 1,000 subscribers to the Runner's Web Facebook feeds.

      Event directors, add your event to our Event Calendar at:
      http://runnersweb.mhsoftware.com/

      We have 2735 subscribers as of publication time. Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they subscribe at:

      THE STRETCHING HANDBOOK
      The Stretching Handbook has gained a reputation as one of the most user friendly publications on stretching, flexibility and sports
      injury prevention. It's been endorsed by some of the biggest names in the health and fitness industry, and received rave reviews and
      testimonials from hundreds of satisfied customers worldwide.
      And now there's the perfect companion to The Stretching Handbook: The Stretching DVD! There's over 100 minutes of individual
      stretching exercises for every major muscle group in your body, and customized routines for the Upper Body, the Lower Body and the
      Neck, Back & Core.
      Visit the site at: http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/cmd.php?af=245575

      ROAD RUNNER SPORTS
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/Mobile_RRS.html

      * Sports Nutrition by Sheila Kealey. Sheila is one of Ottawa's top
      multisport athletes and a member of the OAC Racing Team and X-C Ottawa. She has a Masters in Public Health and works in the field of
      nutritional epidemiology as a Research Associate with the University of California, San Diego. Her column index is available at:

      http://www.pponline.co.uk

      community. We have THREE personal postings this week.
      ONE:
      Human Kinetics Publishers Canada is hosting an iPad giveaway contest + $50 in free HK ebooks! To win you simply have to sign up to
      receive one of their free enewsletters. To enter the contest send an email to contest@... with " IPad contest" in the
      subject line and HK will email you back with contest instructions. Winner will be chosen 10/31/12. Canadian customers only.
      TWO:
      Calling all RUNNERS! What motivates you to run? What is your favorite race distance? How often do you run? You are being invited to
      participate in Running USA's National Runner Survey, a comprehensive survey to assess the demographics, lifestyle, attitudes,
      habits, and product preferences of the running population nationwide. The National Runner Survey is easy to access and available
      online. All responses are completely anonymous and confidential. Don't miss this opportunity to join other runners nationwide! To
      access the survey, click here: National Runner Survey: http://www.surveymk.com/s/NRS13RunnersWeb
      Select Runners Web as the organization that invited you to participate

      THIS WEEK'S DIGEST ARTICLE INDEX:

      1. Into the Pink: Why You Should Be Hitting The Juice
      2. The Honorable Clan of the Long-Distance Runner
      3. VO2max - The monthly newsletter of RunCoachJason.com
      4. Detailed Training and Nutrition Data From Olympic Marathoners
      5. Racing Weight: Training To Be Lean
      6. Will Climate Change Slow Marathon Times?
      7. Performance Page: Risk Management
      5 steps to make the best better.
      8. Six Ways CrossFit Can Benefit Runners
      9. Do Exercise Programs Help Children Stay Fit?
      10. Will I Run Faster If I Lose Weight?
      11. Blister Bugaboo
      How to Prevent and Treat Blisters.
      12. The Long and Short of Running Wisdom
      What all runners can learn from ultramarathoners,
      13. Scientists Make Old Muscles Young Again in Attempt to Combat Aging
      14. How Exercise Can Help You Master New Skills
      15. Marathon Runners May Be at Risk for Incontinence

      THIS WEEK'S POLL:
      What is/are your preferred post-race or post-workout beverage(s)?
      Sports drink
      Water
      Chocolate milk
      Soft drink
      Beer
      Other

      PREVIOUS POLL RESULTS:
      When will the first sub two hour marathon be run?
      Answers Percent Votes
      1 2012 0% 0
      2 2015 20% 30
      3 2030 29% 43
      4 2050 or later 36% 54
      5 Never 15% 23
      Total Votes: 150

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage (http://www.runnersweb.com) as well as checking the results of previous polls.

      FIVE STAR SITE OF THE MONTH: SportieDoc.com - Tamsin Lewis
      A little about me.
      Me in a nutshell? - Inquisitive, Passionate, Driven, Home-loving, Vivacious, Cancerian.
      *Medical Doctor - qualified 2004 from Kings College, London. UK
      *Postgraduate training in Psychiatry with the London Deanery 2006-2010. Full MRCPsych 2009.
      *1st triathlon 2007.
      *World Age-Group Champion 2009.
      *220 Age-Group Athlete of the Year 2009.
      *Invited to Team TBB (under Brett Sutton) 2010.
      *Bike crash - 2 x fracture of collarbone 2010/2011.
      *2011 New coach - Cliff English.
      *MSc in Sports Medicine (PT) commenced 2011.
      Sporting Background
      *Swam competitively until age 12, including National Schools.
      *Regional 1500m champion aged 12.
      *Regional Champion in Tetrathlon (run by the Pony Club in UK). 4 disciplines held over 2 days. (9-13)
      *Target Pistol Shooting.
      *Running 1.5-3k
      *Swimming - as far as you could in 3minutes.
      *Horse Riding - Hunter trialling - Cross country with jumps.
      *Ran X-Country at University 'socially'http://www.run.com/
      Visit the website at:
      http://drtamsinlewis.com/

      BOOK/VIDEO/MOVIE OF THE MONTH: Iron War - Dave Scott, Mark Allen, and the Greatest Race Ever Run
      Matt Fitzgerald
      The 1989 IronmanR World Championship was the greatest race ever in endurance sports. In a spectacular duel that became known as the
      Iron War, the world's two strongest athletes raced side by side at world-record pace for a grueling 139 miles.
      Driven by one of the fiercest rivalries in triathlon, Dave Scott and Mark Allen raced shoulder to shoulder through Ironman's
      2.4-mile swim, 112-mile bike race, and 26.2-mile marathon. After 8 punishing hours, both men would demolish the previous record-and
      cross the finish line a mere 58 seconds apart.
      In his new book Iron War, sports journalist Matt Fitzgerald writes a riveting epic about how Allen and Scott drove themselves and
      each other through the most awe-inspiring race in sports history. Iron War goes beyond the pulse-pounding race story to offer a
      fascinating exploration of the lives of the world's two toughest men and their unquenchable desire to succeed.
      Weaving an examination of mental resolve into a gripping tale of athletic adventure, Iron War is a soaring narrative of two
      champions and the paths that led to their stunning final showdown.
      For more information or to buy the book visit:
      http://velopress.com/books/iron-war-paperback-edition/

      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/human_kinetics.html and
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/velopress.html

      THIS WEEK'S FEATURES:

      1. Into the Pink: Why You Should Be Hitting The Juice:
      By Dr. Tamsin Lewis (@sportiedoc)
      If you have been a keen endurance athlete for some time, you may have heard stories of top athletes supping on Beetroot juice. Heck
      if Team Sky are on it, surely it must be doing something good right?
      I heard about the potential benefits of beetroot juice supplementation a few years ago, but it sounded like a lot of hard work/cost
      for minimal gain. A pint a day for a week prior to a race. I doubted I could stomach that much let alone plan the logistics to be
      able to get that many litres of the stuff to or at a race location. I started off at home juicing it. It has to be raw for maximal
      benefit, but boy does it make a mess - especially in my hands. So being an impatient lass I quickly got bored with the time
      consumption needed to be a regular beet drinker.
      But as time went on, more and more evidence popped up on just how good this stuff was. Simply put it makes your body use fuel more
      economically. Compare a Toyota Yaris to a Aston Martin DB9. You'll go much further with your same amount in your tank in the Toyota
      (although it'll be far less fun!).
      Triathlon is largely an aerobic sport. (sprint efforts excluded)
      Initially during increased exertion, muscle glycogen is broken down to produce glucose, which undergoes a number of chemical
      reactions involving Oxygen.
      This produces carbon dioxide and water and releases energy. If there is a shortage of oxygen (such as when explosive movements are
      required), anaerobic metabolism (without oxygen) kicks in, but this is very inefficient & waste products rapidly accumulate. If the
      muscles can use less oxygen during aerobic metabolism to do the same amount of work - the caveat goes that the muscle will produce
      fewer waste products and hence take longer to fatigue.
      More...from Triathlete Europe at:
      http://triathlete-europe.competitor.com/2012/09/27/into-the-pink-why-you-should-be-hitting-the-juice/

      2. The Honorable Clan of the Long-Distance Runner:
      As amateur marathon runners for nearly 50 years, we were surprised when our sport made headlines recently for an unusual reason.
      Last month, The New Yorker published an article on the Michigan dentist Kip Litton, who digitally fabricated an entire marathon and
      outsmarted computer timing systems. Then Representative Paul D. Ryan, the Republican candidate for vice president, misstated the
      finish time of his only marathon. He told an interviewer he had run "a 2-hour-and-50-something" marathon when his actual time was
      4:01:25. That was roughly equivalent to a golfer's claiming a 3 handicap when his typical round is 100.
      We have rarely encountered tales like Litton's and Ryan's. For true distance runners, to lie about time or distance is to lie to
      ourselves, to diminish the importance of the many sacrifices we make to reach the starting line. Focus and discipline form the core
      of a runner's being; they are what make us put on a reflective vest and run six miles into the sleet at 6 on a dark winter morning.
      There are no shortcuts to marathon success. Our race performances are sacred, but it is acceptable to refer to a marathon time up
      to, say, 3:13:59 as a 3:13, or 3:13 and change.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/30/sports/essay-the-honorable-clan-of-the-long-distance-runner.html?_r=1

      3. VO2max - The monthly newsletter of RunCoachJason.com:
      ** The Best Workout
      I was recently asked at a coaching clinic what's the most important type of workout runners should do. While this is a difficult
      question, and depends on a number of factors (not the least of which are the genetically-determined strengths and weaknesses of the
      runner), the workout that will give you the most bang for your buck and have the greatest impact on your fitness and performance is
      intervals lasting 3 to 5 minutes run at the speed at which you reach your VO2max (about 1.5- to 2-mile race pace; 95-100% maximum
      heart rate). An example is 5 x 3 minutes (800 to 1,000 meters) at VO2max pace with 2:30 jog recovery. Runners are not the only
      ones who can benefit from this type of workout; it's also great for the general public who wants to lose weight and get fit, as this
      workout burns a lot of calories. This workout increases your maximum stroke volume and cardiac output, mitochondrial enzyme
      activity, and VO2max. Additionally, there is an anaerobic component to this workout, prompting an improvement in
      "anaerobic-related" factors, such as acidosis buffering capacity. In other words, this workout gets you fit fast
      ** Marathon Hill Running
      From my book, Running a Marathon For Dummies, available for pre-order at Amazon.com or at http://www.runcoachjason.com/merchandise.
      Hills are often a big part of marathon courses, so you have to prepare for them. You don't want all your runs to be on flat ground
      or you'll be in for some big surprises on marathon race day, like labored breathing, burning quads, and greater fatigue as you climb
      the hills.
      Hills add variety to your aerobic training. The feeling of your heart pounding and your shortness of breath at the top of a hill
      attests to the great workout hills provide for your cardio-respiratory system. But hills also provide a great workout for your
      skeletal muscles. Hill training Increases your leg muscle power; strengthens your Achilles tendon, protecting you from injury;
      transitions you into more formal speed training, like tempo and interval training; improves your heart's ability to pump blood and
      oxygen because your heart rate easily climbs up to its maximum when you run up a hill; and uses your leg, arm, and trunk muscles in
      ways that are different from flat running, making you a powerful hill runner.
      Hill training requires some strategies that are different from running on flat ground. When running hills, follow these guidelines:
      * Aim for a specific effort rather than a specific speed. Because uphill running uncouples the effort from the speed - you're
      running relatively slowly even though you're working hard -the exact pace you run isn't as important as your effort. Watching your
      heart rate with a heart rate monitor is a great way to make sure you're working hard enough.
      * For longer hill repeats, use a hill that takes at least 3 minutes to climb to boost aerobic fitness. Doing so gives your heart
      rate enough time to rise to its maximum.
      * Shorten your stride when running downhill to prevent overstriding and to emphasize quicker leg movement. Shorter strides keep
      your momentum going forward. You can easily overstride when running downhill, which only makes you land harder, wears you out
      sooner, and makes you more vulnerable to injury. Running downhill should feel like controlled falling.
      * Back off the hills in the final couple weeks before the marathon. Because hill running causes fatigue, make sure you back off
      before the big day so you feel rested.
      * Add downhills to your training a little at a time. Start with a short, gradual slope of about 2 to 3 percent and progress to
      steeper and longer downhills as you get more comfortable. If possible, train on a soft surface like grass before moving on to the
      road. Treat downhill workouts as hard sessions and take time to recover with two to three days of rest or easy running afterward.
      Want more? Running a Marathon For Dummies will be released in November. Pre-order a signed copy at
      http://www.runcoachjason.com/merchandise.
      To view past newsletters go to: http://www.runcoachjason.com/newsletter
      Copyright 2012 Jason Karp All Rights Reserved - http://www.runcoachjason.com

      4. Detailed Training and Nutrition Data From Olympic Marathoners:
      Most of what we know about the training of elite marathoners is anecdotal -- small details revealed in interviews, without much
      context. So I was really interested to see a new study in the International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism that
      lays out a whole pile of details about the training of three Canadian marathoners: Reid Coolsaet, Dylan Wykes, and Rob Watson. The
      data comes from Trent Stellingwerff, a physiologist with the Canadian Sports Center-Pacific who worked with all three of the runners
      during a 16-week marathon build-up. The marathoners ran 2:11:23, 2:12:39 and 2:16:17 after the training described in the paper;
      they've since gone on to run 2:10:55, 2:10:47, and 2:13:37 respectively.
      So what can we learn from the paper? Well, there's a ton of stuff. Here's the mileage each of them put in during their 16-week build
      up
      More...from Sweat Science at:
      http://sweatscience.runnersworld.com/2012/09/detailed-training-and-nutrition-data-from-olympic-marathoners/

      5. Racing Weight: Training To Be Lean:
      All triathletes know about the importance of being lean. But should you purposefully manipulate your training with a view to getting
      leaner? If your current training doesn't do enough to get you lean should you change it? Matt Fitzgerald answers.
      Wtach the video at Triathlete Europe at:
      http://triathlete-europe.competitor.com/2012/09/28/racing-weight-training-to-be-lean/

      6. Will Climate Change Slow Marathon Times?
      Climate change is blamed for melting ice, shrinking animals and brewing more intense storms around the globe - but is it slowing the
      top finish times at the Boston Marathon? Not yet, researchers found, adding that future increases in temperature could mean fewer
      records are broken.
      Runners typically dread hot race days. Studies have consistently shown that warmer temperatures tend to drag on finish times, and
      the slower you run, the more minutes you're likely to pile on during a boiling hot day.
      This year saw one of the hottest marathons in Boston, with temperatures on April 16, 2012, soaring into the 80s - about 20 degrees
      Fahrenheit (11 degrees Celsius) higher than the normal high. Though that race day was unseasonably warm, temperatures in Boston have
      been rising at a relatively high rate over the past century.
      More...from Live Science at:
      http://www.livescience.com/23636-will-climate-change-slow-marathon-times.html

      7. Performance Page: Risk Management:
      5 steps to make the best better.
      Recently, I wrote about the benefits of bad workouts and races. I suggested that instead of dwelling on them, why not learn from
      them? But what about good races? Can you learn from them too? You can, but maybe in ways that are slightly less obvious than you
      think.
      In more than 20 years of coaching (and in my own running), I've noticed that when a runner has a successful workout or race, she
      nearly always starts talking about what she could have done better to run even faster. Despite running faster than she ever
      has--pushing herself to new "limits"--she's talking about reaching the next level. And the ways she could have done that are usually
      quite simple: shoulda gone with that guy at mile 2, shoulda pushed a little harder on that hill at mile 12, needed to start my
      sprint earlier.
      Answering the question, "Can I run faster?" seems easy. "Of course you can!" It's just a matter of putting your focus in the right
      spot.
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=27140

      8. Six Ways CrossFit Can Benefit Runners:
      T.J. Murphy explains how CrossFit can be a good tool for the distance runner.
      In 2005 there were 13 CrossFit gyms in existence. Now, according to CrossFit, Inc., there are more than 4,000. With the rise of
      CrossFit has also been the rise of CrossFit as a mechanism to help runners rehabilitate from injuries, prevent injuries and offer
      the possibility of improved performance. CrossFit Endurance programs that program a mix of CrossFit classes with running workouts
      are increasingly available at CrossFit gyms and usually target local half-marathons, marathons and Muddy Buddy-type events.
      With this growth there's a fair amount of argument about the value or lack there-of of CrossFit for runners. Excellent cases can be
      made for or against CrossFit for the advanced runner. For the average runner, I personally have come to believe that in most cases
      CrossFit is going to be more valuable than not. As far as runners commenting on the issue, I can speak from the standpoint of being
      a traditional runner who almost immediately dismissed the notion of CrossFit the first time I became aware of it but later came to
      try it and embrace it. In my case I can report that CrossFit fit my running life.
      More...from Competitor Magazine at:
      http://running.competitor.com/2012/09/features/six-ways-crossfit-can-benefit-runners_59366

      9. Do Exercise Programs Help Children Stay Fit?
      Getting children to be more physically active seems as if it should be so simple. Just enroll them in classes and programs during
      school or afterward that are filled with games, sports and other activities.
      But an important new review of the outcomes of a wide range of different physical activity interventions for young people finds that
      the programs almost never increase overall daily physical activity. The youngsters run around during the intervention period, then
      remain stubbornly sedentary during the rest of the day.
      For the review, which was published last week in the British medical journal BMJ, researchers from the Peninsula College of Medicine
      and Dentistry in England collected data from 30 studies related to exercise interventions in children that had been published
      worldwide between January 1990 and March 2012.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/03/do-exercise-programs-help-children-stay-fit/?ref=nutrition

      10. Will I Run Faster If I Lose Weight?
      Once you've been running for a year or two, you start to look for ways to race faster. While training is great-it's contemplative,
      relieves stress, and provides structure to your day-most runners will eventually become focused on ways to run faster. Or, said
      another way, they'll be focused on "transcending a former self."
      Even if a runner started to run just to lose weight, she may soon ask the question: "Are there ways to help me run faster?" This
      often leads to another question when a person gets serious about her running: "Will I run faster if I lose weight?"
      More...from Active.com at:
      http://tinyurl.com/8b2taer

      11. Blister Bugaboo:
      How to Prevent and Treat Blisters.
      By Dr. Cathy Fieseler
      Blisters are a common skin injury in active people, especially runners; although they are not life threatening, blisters can
      significantly affect one's ability to continue an activity.
      The skin is comprised of three layers: the epidermis, the dermis and the subcutaneous tissue. The epidermis is the outermost tissue
      and is comprised of five layers. The dermis contains specialized structures, such as hair follicles and sweat glands. The
      subcutaneous tissue is comprised of fat and connective tissue and plays an important role in temperature regulation.
      Blisters are the result of repeated friction on the skin surface. This creates a shear force which separates the skin into two
      layers; this space then fills with fluid as the result of hemodynamic forces.
      More...from the IAWR at:
      http://www.iawr-connect.com/injury-prevention/blister-bugaboo/

      12. The Long and Short of Running Wisdom:
      What all runners can learn from ultramarathoners.
      Do ultramarathons hold any lessons for "normal" runners? As someone who enjoys both 5Ks and 100Ks, I can confidently say yes.
      Ultrarunners are, in some ways, the crash test dummies of the running world. They log lots and lots of miles under wildly varying,
      often extreme conditions, and from such stress testing comes wisdom. While much of this insight can also be obtained via less
      arduous routes, it tends to be especially clear and memorable when distilled from the crucible of all-day endurance events.
      Here's an informal list of ultramarathoning lessons that I find quite applicable to running in general.
      1. DON'T GO OUT TOO FAST.
      On a flat course, " your best races will be done on as close to even splits as possible," says Howard Nippert, who boasts four
      top-10 finishes at the world road 100K championships, as well as a 2:19 marathon PR.
      Every runner has heard this chestnut before. So why do so many of us continue to ignore it? Perhaps for short races, the penalty
      (say, a somewhat slower-than-hoped-for 5K time) isn't harsh enough to drive home the lesson. In an ultra race, though, an overly
      swift start can lead, hours later, to miles and miles of grim death-marching through remote territory until a suitable stopping
      point can be reached. Thus, I suspect that ultramarathoners police their initial pace better than other runners, even though the
      right opening tempo for a 50-or 100-mile race can feel ridiculously slow.
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=25906

      13. Scientists Make Old Muscles Young Again in Attempt to Combat Aging:
      An international team of scientists have identified for the first time a key factor responsible for declining muscle repair during
      aging, and discovered how to halt the process in mice with a common drug. Although an early study, the findings provide clues as to
      how muscles lose mass with age, which can result in weakness that affects mobility and may cause falls.
      The study, to be published in the journal Nature, involved researchers from King's College London, Harvard University and
      Massachusetts General Hospital.
      The study looked at stem cells found inside muscle -- which are responsible for repairing injury -- to find out why the ability of
      muscles to regenerate declines with age. A dormant reservoir of stem cells is present inside every muscle, ready to be activated by
      exercise and injury to repair any damage. When needed, these cells divide into hundreds of new muscle fibres that repair the muscle.
      At the end of the repairing process some of these cells also replenish the pool of dormant stem cells so that the muscle retains the
      ability to repair itself again and again.
      More...from Science Daily at:
      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/09/120926133107.htm

      14. How Exercise Can Help You Master New Skills:
      Can you improve your body's ability to remember by making it move? That rather odd-seeming question stimulated researchers at the
      University of Copenhagen to undertake a reverberant new examination of just how the body creates specific muscle memories and what
      role, if any, exercise plays in the process.
      To do so, they first asked a group of young, healthy right-handed men to master a complicated tracking skill on a computer. Sitting
      before the screen with their right arm on an armrest and a controller similar to a joystick in their right hand, the men watched a
      red line squiggle across the screen and had to use the controller to trace the same line with a white cursor. Their aim was to
      remain as close to the red squiggle as possible, a task that required input from both the muscles and the mind.
      The men repeated the task multiple times, until the motion necessary to track the red line became ingrained, almost automatic. They
      were creating a short-term muscle memory.
      The term "muscle memory" is, of course, something of a misnomer. Muscles don't make or store memories. They respond to signals from
      the brain, where the actual memories of any particular movement are formed and filed away.
      But muscle memory - or "motor memory," as it is more correctly referred to among scientists - exists and can be quite potent. Learn
      to ride a bicycle as a youngster, abandon the pastime and, 20 years later, you'll be able to hop on a bicycle and pedal off.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/26/how-exercise-can-help-you-master-new-skills/

      15. Marathon Runners May Be at Risk for Incontinence:
      While many marathon runners may be preoccupied with shin splints, chafing and blisters come race day, one thing they may not
      consider is their bladder health.
      "The added stress on the body that comes with running a marathon can cause urinary stress incontinence problems during the race or
      down the road," said Melinda Abernethy, MD, fellow, Division of Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery, Loyola University
      Chicago Stritch School of Medicine. "People who already suffer from incontinence also are at risk for bladder-control issues while
      running."
      More...from Science Daily at:
      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/10/121004162858.htm

      THIS WEEK'S FEATURED EVENTS:
      *Please verify event dates with the event websites available from our FrontPage
      (www.runnersweb.com)

      October 6, 2012:
      IAAF World Half Marathon Championships - Kavarna, Bulgaria

      October 6-7, 2012:
      Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon Weekend - Minneapolis, MN
      USA 10 Mile Championships & USA Masters Marathon Championships

      October 7, 2012:
      (35th) Bank of America Chicago Marathon - IL
      World Marathon Major
      Runner's World Coverage

      Ottawa Fall Colours Marathon & Half-Marathon - Cumberland, ON
      OMA Masters Half Marathon Championship

      Goodlife Fitness Victoria Marathon - Victoria, BC

      Long Beach Marathon - Long Beach, CA

      Pikes Peak Road Ascent - Cascade, CO

      Portland Marathon & Half-Marathon - Portland, OR

      Rock 'n' Roll San Jose 1/2 Marathon - San Jose, CA

      Tyler Rose Marathon, Half-Marathon & 5K - Tyler, TX

      Woodrow Wilson Bridge Half-Marathon - National Harbor, MD

      October 8, 2012:
      Tufts Health Plan 10K for Women - Boston, MA
      USA Women's 10K Championship / USARC Finale

      June 22, 2013
      Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women
      http://www.emiliesrun.com

      mailto:runnersweb@yahoogroups.com and in our Runner's Web Forum,
      available off our FrontPage. If you post to the mailing list and
      mailto:webmaster@... to notify us of the problem. To update
      your Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the
      website at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RunnersWeb/join , sign in and
      update your changes.

      Ken

      Ken Parker
      www.RunnersWeb.com
      mailto:kparker@...
      613-746-4053
      http://www.OACRacingTeam.com
      http://www.EmiliesRun.com

      *** END OF RUNNER'S AND TRIATHLETE'S WEB DIGEST...***