Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest - September 7, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2012
      those of the Runner's Web. Visit the Runner's Web at http://www.runnersweb.com The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out
      our daily news, features, polls, trivia, bulletin boards and more.

      1. Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women - Canada's Fastest Women's 5K.
      The 2013 race will be run on June 22nd.
      Sports 4 is providing cash prizing as follows:
      First Overall $1000, Second Overall $750, Third Overall $550, Fourth Overall $400, Fifth Overall $300
      First Masters (40 & over*) $500
      There are cash prizes for the following:
      New Race Record: $1000, New Masters (40 & over*) Record: $500, New 5 Year Age Category Age : $100
      *age as of Dec 31, 2013
      For more on the race visit the website
      at: http://www.emiliesrun.com.

      3. Toronto Waterfront Marathon, date October 14, 2012
      The fastest men's and women's marathon on Canadian soil!
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/STWM_Transporter.html

      4. Goodlife Fitness Toronto Marathon - ~Online Registration is Now Open~
      Next year's race will be run on Sunday May 5, 2013
      http://www.torontomarathon.com/registration/online-registration.html

      5. Training Peaks
      The Runner's Web has partnered with Training Peaks to provide online
      coaching from experts such as Hal Higdon, Joel Friel and Matt
      Fitzgerald. Sign up at:
      https://home.trainingpeaks.com/create-account-personal-edition.aspx?af=RunnersWeb

      6. iRun Magazine
      iRun is Canada's highest-circulation and most popular running magazine. With a total distribution of 50,000 and more than 9,000
      subscribers, iRun is leading the market in the rapidly growing and highly desirable demographic of Canadian runners.
      http://www.irun.ca/

      7. Olympic Physical Therapy and Foot Orthotics:
      Olympic Physical Therapy and Foot Orthotics was founded in May of 2000 by Don Levine, MSPT and Bert Reid, DPT, to provide outpatient
      physical therapy and sports medicine rehabilitation to the residents of Rhode Island and South Eastern Massachusetts. Consistently
      assessing the needs of our communities while striving to provide the highest level of care and customer service. This has allowed
      Olympic and its staff to thrive and earn accolades such as, in 2007, becoming the first recipient of the Small Business of the Year
      award from The Newport Chamber of Commerce
      http://olympicpt-ri.com

      ASSOCIATIONS:
      The Runner's Web is a member of Running USA, The National Professional
      Organization for the Running Industry.
      http://www.runningusa.org/

      NEW SUBSCRIBERS: Check the "New Subscribers' note at the bottom of the
      newsletter

      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is available
      [Long URL] The Digest is also available through other RSS Readers on request.

      Get the Runner's Web button for the Google Toolbar 4 for Internet
      Explorer from the link on our FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com .

      TWITTER
      Follow us on Twitter at:
      http://twitter.com/runnersweb

      FACEBOOK
      We have reached the limit of 5000 friends on our Facebook page so we have added a Fans page at:
      http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/RunnersWebcom-Inc/189255654487874?sk=wall
      To join the Runner's Web Facebook group, if you are not a member of Facebook, you
      Join the almost 1,000 subscribers to the Runner's Web Facebook feeds.

      Event directors, add your event to our Event Calendar at:
      http://runnersweb.mhsoftware.com/

      We have 2733 subscribers as of publication time. Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they subscribe at:

      THE STRETCHING HANDBOOK
      The Stretching Handbook has gained a reputation as one of the most user friendly publications on stretching, flexibility and sports
      injury prevention. It's been endorsed by some of the biggest names in the health and fitness industry, and received rave reviews and
      testimonials from hundreds of satisfied customers worldwide.
      And now there's the perfect companion to The Stretching Handbook: The Stretching DVD! There's over 100 minutes of individual
      stretching exercises for every major muscle group in your body, and customized routines for the Upper Body, the Lower Body and the
      Neck, Back & Core.
      Visit the site at: http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/cmd.php?af=245575

      ROAD RUNNER SPORTS
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/Mobile_RRS.html

      * Sports Nutrition by Sheila Kealey. Sheila is one of Ottawa's top
      multisport athletes and a member of the OAC Racing Team and X-C Ottawa. She has a Masters in Public Health and works in the field of
      nutritional epidemiology as a Research Associate with the University of California, San Diego. Her column index is available at:

      http://www.pponline.co.uk

      community. We have NO personal postings this week.

      THIS WEEK'S DIGEST ARTICLE INDEX:

      1. Finding Your Ideal Running Form
      2. Are You Running Enough?
      3. VO2max - The monthly newsletter of RunCoachJason.com
      4. Severe Diet Doesn't Prolong Life, at Least in Monkeys
      5. Midlife Fitness Staves Off Chronic Disease at End of Life
      6. Marathon Running Could Trigger Pulmonary Edema Development in the Lungs
      7. ATU: Increase Functional Threshold Power (FTP) This Offseason
      8. Eat to Build Lean Muscles
      9. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health e-Zine
      10. Should You Run Through Discomfort or Pain?
      11. Overtraining - Learn how to identify Overtraining Syndrome
      12. Who Will I Disappoint?
      Choosing which story you get to tell.
      13. Ten Self-Myofascial Release Exercises for Runners
      14. The Benefits of Middle-Age Fitness
      15. This Week in Running

      THIS WEEK'S POLL:

      Which of the following have your purchased ONLINE in the past year?
      Books, Magazines
      Coaching Services
      Clothing
      Heart Rate Monitor
      Running Shoes
      Speed/Distance or GPS Watch
      Sports Drinks, Bars, Gels, etc
      Sports Watch
      Other

      Vote in the poll at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/rw_vote.html

      PREVIOUS POLL RESULTS:
      A real runner is....
      Answers Percent Votes
      1 Somebody that runs 9% 22
      2 Somebody that runs regularly 34% 80
      3 Somebody that runs races 23% 54
      4 Somebody that runs marathons 14% 33
      5 Somebody that runs marathons in under three hours 19% 44
      Total Votes: 233

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage (http://www.runnersweb.com) as well as checking the results of previous polls.

      FIVE STAR SITE OF THE MONTH: Run.com.
      Run.com is the most complete running site ever...full of the best products, articles, tips and tools that any runner needs. You've
      never been on a run like this before! Run.com follows the mantra of LEARN. SHOP. RUN. and is your one simple stop on the web for all
      things running. We have the products and articles to motivate, inspire and support every runner from Ironman triathlete to couch
      potato. Born from a partnership with the 18 local Running Company Stores, Run.com takes the in-store runner's experience to the next
      level. Not only can you find the products that you know and love and the newest gear on the market, but you can also find all of the
      advice, information and resources you need to run your best.
      Visit the site at:
      http://www.run.com/

      BOOK/VIDEO/MOVIE OF THE MONTH: Developing Endurance
      By Ben Reuter
      Product Description
      Runners, cyclists, swimmers, rowers, triathletes, and ultradistance athletes must sustain performance at a high level to come out on
      top. Developing Endurance shows how to achieve optimal stamina to race your best through science-based aerobic, anaerobic, and
      resistance training.
      Written by 11 top experts in the National Strength and Conditioning Association, the top sport conditioning organization in the
      world, this guide provides both the background information and the exercises, drills, workouts, and programs for ultimate results.
      Athletes
      For more information or to buy the book visit:
      http://www.humankinetics.com/products/all-products/Developing-Endurance?associate=880&isbn=9780736083270

      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/human_kinetics.html and
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/velopress.html

      THIS WEEK'S FEATURES:

      1. Finding Your Ideal Running Form:
      Can people become better, more efficient runners on their own, merely by running?
      That question, seemingly so innocuous, is remarkably divisive at the moment, with running experts on one side suggesting that
      runners should be taught a specific, idealized running form, while opponents counter that the best way to run is whatever way feels
      right to you.
      Little published science, however, has been available on the subject of whether runners need technical instruction or naturally
      intuit the skill. Now a timely new study suggests that new runners eventually settle into better running form - just by running
      more.
      For the study, which will be published in the September issue of the journal Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, researchers
      with the Bioenergetics and Human Performance Research Group at the University of Exeter in England turned to a group of adult women
      who'd recently joined a running group.
      The group's members were planning to embark on a 10-week, self-paced running program, with a half marathon race as the incentive at
      the program's conclusion, for those who wished to compete.
      All of the women who agreed to be studied were healthy, in their 20s or 30s, of normal weight, and completely new to the sport of
      running.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/29/finding-your-ideal-running-form/

      2. Are You Running Enough?
      As the great Arthur Lydiard said, "Miles make champions."
      According to the 2011 National Runner Survey, the average competitive runner runs 34 miles a week. Is that enough? Well, that
      depends. But let me answer the question this way: If 10 randomly selected competitive runners were brought to me to discuss their
      goals and receive my advice, I would probably advise nine of them to run more.
      Running more is the surest and most potent means to improve as a runner. The only other way is to run faster. Running faster is
      effective too, but its power is more limited. Running faster certainly yields improvement quickly, but it has less long-term
      potential to improve running performance than running more.
      An analogy helps explain why. There are two ways to improve your standard of living. You can make each dollar you earn stretch
      further-for example, by finding a store where you can buy two apples for every dollar instead of just the one you get at the place
      where you currently shop. That's one way. The other way is to make more money. Now, which of these two options has more power to
      improve your standard of living? Without a doubt stretching dollars can yield improvements more quickly. You see results almost
      immediately. But you can only buy so many apples for a dollar. Increasing your income will take more time, but there's almost no
      limit (theoretically) to how much money you could make, so the ultimate potential to improve your standard of living in this way is
      much greater.
      More...from Competitor Magazine at:
      http://running.competitor.com/2012/08/training/are-you-running-enough_35813

      3. VO2max - The monthly newsletter of RunCoachJason.com:
      ** Strides
      There are a number of lightning-fast steps that occur for muscles to contract and produce force, all starting with the central
      nervous system, including the transmission of a signal to a motor neuron, the release of a neurotransmitter (acetylcholine) at the
      neuromuscular junction, the depolarization of the muscle, the propagation of an action potential deep inside the muscle, the release
      of calcium ions from the muscle's sarcoplasmic reticulum, the interaction between contractile proteins (actin and myosin), and the
      hydrolysis of ATP for muscle contraction. To run fast, the central nervous system has to increase the number of motor units
      recruited and increase the frequency of stimulation of the motor units. Thus, running fast is a strong stimulus for the central
      nervous system. While most of a distance runner's training is cardiovascular and metabolic in nature, sometimes you have to focus
      on the neuromuscular aspect of performance.
      Strides are one of the things you can do to focus on the neuromuscular aspect. Strides are 10- to 25-second (50 to 150 meters)
      controlled sprints. The purpose of strides is largely neuromuscular: to increase stride rate by recruiting fast-twitch motor units
      (muscle fibers), which increases speed and, more importantly, to increase stride length by increasing joint mobility (especially at
      the hip) and increasing leg muscle power, causing a greater propulsive thrust. The short bursts of speed also improve your
      coordination and running form.
      Strides, like other neuromuscular and technique work, should be performed at the beginning of the training session (after a warm-up)
      or after an easy run, when you're still fresh. Strides for a distance runner are analogous to starting block drills or plyometrics
      for a sprinter or hurdle drills for a hurdler. It's about making fast movements efficient. Thus, doing strides after an interval
      workout that causes a large amount of fatigue defeats the purpose of the strides. When you're fatigued, stride length naturally
      decreases. Any neuromuscular or power training requires greater recovery than endurance or metabolic training; thus, you should
      take full recovery between strides. Taking only a few seconds of recovery between strides introduces a metabolic demand. Making
      strides too long also introduces a metabolic demand, so strides should not be longer than about 25 seconds, otherwise you will start
      to cause acidosis.
      When running strides, aim for a fast, smooth feeling. Don't press to go fast-they should not feel like intervals. Rather, relax and
      focus on moving your legs quickly through the running cycle to increase stride rate, and (more importantly) extending your legs
      behind you from the hip to increase stride length. Take as much time as you need between each one to feel recovered. Try to do
      strides on the track; if you can't get to the track, find a flat stretch of road or other firm footing.
      Want to know more about organizing the components of your training program? My popular DVD -- Chasing Mercury, Battling Hercules:
      Getting Fitter and Stronger with Periodization Training -- provides an overview of training theory, reviews research findings,
      discusses the use of training cycles, and provides examples of how to properly organize all of the components of training. To order
      a DVD, go to http://www.runcoachjason.com/merchandise .
      ** From my book, Running a Marathon For Dummies, available for pre-order at Amazon.com or at
      http://www.runcoachjason.com/merchandise .
      When it comes to running a marathon, there's more than one way to train. However, there are ways to train and then there are smart
      ways to train. Training must be systematic and progressive.
      Systematic means that the training isn't arbitrary, with a smattering of workouts here and there; that it doesn't include abrupt
      changes in mileage or intensity; and that each cycle of training builds on what came before so that the entire program is seamless.
      Progressive means that the training stress increases over time - the weekly mileage gets higher, the long runs get longer, and the
      workouts get faster. I've seen many runners run the same five-mile route day after day. Humans, and especially runners, are
      creatures of habit. They do the same thing over and over again, and, while they may not always expect a different result, they
      certainly hope for one. To improve your fitness and performance, your training must be progressive.
      Because the marathon is aerobic - that is, the activity requires that your muscles use oxygen - your training should focus on your
      body's ability to use more oxygen. For most people, the key is the weekly mileage and long runs. Unless you're an advanced runner
      with years of running behind you, your marathon training program shouldn't include a lot of interval training. Initially, your main
      focus is to become as aerobically developed as possible to improve your endurance.
      As an experienced runner who wants to get better, your training matures, growing from a basic outline of mileage and long runs to
      more mileage, tempo runs that train you to hold a faster aerobic pace, and interval training to boost your speed. You progress from
      higher volume and lower intensity to lower volume and higher intensity, although you must always pay attention to the volume of
      training given the importance of mileage for the marathon. If this sounds complicated, you're right, it is. Even if you've run a
      marathon before, it can be daunting.
      As you train for your marathon, take a few risks, and gain strength and momentum from your running to help you see those risks
      through. Remember that while there may be a chance of failing, people take risks because the chance of failing makes success taste
      even sweeter.
      Want more? Running a Marathon For Dummies will be released in November. Pre-order a signed copy at
      http://www.runcoachjason.com/merchandise.
      To view past newsletters go to: http://www.runcoachjason.com/newsletter
      Copyright 2012 Jason Karp All Rights Reserved - http://www.runcoachjason.com

      4. Severe Diet Doesn't Prolong Life, at Least in Monkeys:
      For 25 years, the rhesus monkeys were kept semi-starved, lean and hungry. The males' weights were so low they were the equivalent of
      a 6-foot-tall man who tipped the scales at just 120 to 133 pounds. The hope was that if the monkeys lived longer, healthier lives by
      eating a lot less, then maybe people, their evolutionary cousins, would, too. Some scientists, anticipating such benefits, began
      severely restricting their own diets.
      The results of this major, long-awaited study, which began in 1987, are finally in. But it did not bring the vindication calorie
      restriction enthusiasts had anticipated. It turns out the skinny monkeys did not live any longer than those kept at more normal
      weights. Some lab test results improved, but only in monkeys put on the diet when they were old. The causes of death - cancer, heart
      disease - were the same in both the underfed and the normally fed monkeys.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/30/science/low-calorie-diet-doesnt-prolong-life-study-of-monkeys-finds.html?ref=nutrition

      5. Midlife Fitness Staves Off Chronic Disease at End of Life:
      Being physically fit during your 30s, 40s, and 50s not only helps extend lifespan, but it also increases the chances of aging
      healthily, free from chronic illness, investigators at UT Southwestern Medical Center and The Cooper Institute have found.
      For decades, research has shown that higher cardiorespiratory fitness levels lessen the risk of death, but it previously had been
      unknown just how much fitness might affect the burden of chronic disease in the most senior years -- a concept known as morbidity
      compression.
      "We've determined that being fit is not just delaying the inevitable, but it is actually lowering the onset of chronic disease in
      the final years of life," said Dr. Jarett Berry, assistant professor of internal medicine and senior author of the study available
      online in the Archives of Internal Medicine.
      More...from Science Daily at:
      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/08/120827162009.htm

      6. Marathon Running Could Trigger Pulmonary Edema Development in the Lungs:
      A new study has found evidence that marathon running could trigger pulmonary edema, where fluid builds up in the lungs.
      The study will be presented Monday (Sept. 3, 2012) at the European Respiratory Society's Annual Congress in Vienna.
      Despite mounting evidence of the link between strenuous exercise and pulmonary edema, experts still debate whether the two factors
      are linked. Researchers from the United States and Italy aimed to investigate the link by assessing whether running a marathon
      triggers pulmonary edema which causes breathlessness, severe cough and even heart attacks or respiratory failure in serious cases.
      More...from Science Daily at:
      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/09/120903143137.htm

      7. ATU: Increase Functional Threshold Power (FTP) This Offseason:
      Lucho joins to answer your questions on whether a guy should enter an women's half marathon, doing a 60k and marathon on
      back-to-back days, pacing for downhill portions of a marathon, workouts to increase FTP on the bike (as well as how to find FTP,
      measuring progress, how it applies to running, LT relationship, etc.), bonking on bricks, HR or pace for interval work, more
      speedwork but slower race/TT times, and more.
      Listen to the podcast at Endurance Planet at:
      http://www.enduranceplanet.com/atu-increase-functional-threshold-power-ftp-this-offseason/

      8. Eat to Build Lean Muscles:
      Increase lean muscle mass and you'll perform, look and feel better. Why? More strength means more joint stability, stronger bones
      and ligaments, and increased calorie burn-even during rest-because muscle burns more calories than fat.
      We're not talking about putting on 10 pounds of muscle-that amount of extra bulk could impede performance in endurance athletes.
      Rather, improve your body composition by shedding excess body fat and adding lean muscle, and you'll become a better and, most
      likely, lighter athlete. This plan requires a mental shift in how you view and approach weight loss-simply slashing calories won't
      get you there.
      More...from Active.com at:
      http://tinyurl.com/98w6lxd

      9. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health e-Zine:
      ** Use Muscle Soreness to Gauge Your Training
      If your muscles don't feel sore on the days after your hardest workouts, you are not training properly. You have to damage your
      muscles to make them stronger, and muscle soreness is a sign of muscle damage. When muscle fibers heal, they are stronger than they
      were before that workout. Muscle damage is necessary for muscle growth and increased strength. CAUTION: People with blocked
      arteries leading to their hearts can suffer heart attacks from intense exercise. Intense exercise is for people who do not have
      heart problems, known or unknown.
      DELAYED ONSET MUSCLE SORENESS: When you exercise very intensely, your muscles will feel sore 8 to 24 hours after you finish. This
      is called Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) and is caused by damage to the muscle fibers themselves.
      HOW YOU MAKE MUSCLES STRONGER: Every muscle is made of many individual fibers just as a rope is composed of many threads. Each
      fiber is made of a series of blocks bound end-to-end to each other in a long chain. Each block contains protein chains, called
      actin and myosin, which move along each other to cause a muscle to lengthen. To make a muscle larger and stronger, you have to
      apply enough force to damage the actin and myosin. Then when the fibers heal, they become larger and stronger.
      DIFFERENCE BETWEEN DOMS AFTER EXERCISE AND BURNING DURING EXERCISE: Muscle damage is the cause of DOMS. However, a buildup of
      lactic acid is the cause of muscle burning DURING intense exercise. When you exercise so intensely that you can't get all the
      oxygen that your muscles need, lactic acid starts to accumulate in muscles. This causes the muscles to become acidic and it is the
      acidity that cause the burning. As soon as you slow down, you catch up on your oxygen debt, the lactic acid levels are reduced, and
      the muscles become less acidic and burning disappears.
      HOW TO TELL YOU ARE DAMAGING MUSCLES TO MAKE THEM STRONGER: When you exercise for a long time, your muscles start to burn and feel
      sore, which forces you to slow down. You call this fatigue and tiredness, but muscle fatigue is caused by damage to the muscle
      itself (Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, July 2005). This also explains why exercising long and hard enough to feel the burn
      for an extended period leaves your muscles sore for one or more days afterwards. Athletes eventually learn that they have to have
      this next-day soreness to improve for competition.
      RUNNING IS HARDER ON YOUR MUSCLES THAN CYCLING: Running is much more fatiguing than cycling. When you run, your heel hits the
      ground and stops your leg from moving. This sudden stopping with each foot strike stretches your contracting muscles and tears them
      to cause a lot of muscle damage. It's called eccentric contractions of muscle and occurs with far less force in cycling. You pedal
      with a smooth rotary motion and do not stop suddenly. The eccentric contractions during running cause a high degree of muscle
      injuries, limit how far a person can run fast, and require far more rest days or easy days than cyclists need in their training
      programs.
      WHY LONG-DISTANCE CYCLISTS NEED STRENGTH: Since muscle fatigue during endurance competitions is caused by muscle damage, anything
      that strengthens muscles will improve performance in endurance events. The only way to make a muscle stronger is to damage the
      muscle with hard exercise, feel sore on the next day, exercise more easily on as many days as it takes for the soreness to go away,
      and then exercise vigorously again. Athletes in competitive sports must exercise at a reduced intensity on the days that their
      muscles feel sore. This makes muscles more fibrous and resistant to injury so that muscles can withstand greater forces when
      athletes exercise on their hard days.
      WORKOUTS TO CAUSE MUSCLE DAMAGE: You take an intense workout in which you feel burning most of that workout. You can do:
      * sustained rides in which you go in and out of muscle burning continuously for the entire ride, or you can do
      * a type of interval training in which you stay in the burn for a specific time, rest, and then go back into the burn.
      If your present program does not cause muscle soreness on the day after an intense workout at least two to three times a week, you
      will not ride as fast as you should for competition.
      WEEKLY PROGRAM OF STRESS AND RECOVER: If you try to do intense workouts every day, expect to become injured. On the other hand, if
      you do not feel next-day muscle soreness on, at least, some of your workouts, your workouts are not intense enough for maximum
      improvement. Of course you do not exercise at maximum intensity when your muscles feel sore. That only increases your risk for
      injury and also prevents you from exercising at near maximum on the next day.
      Therefore, do the very intense workouts one to three times a week. The other days should be at an intensity low enough so that it
      will not interfere with your one to three
      days/week of very intense exercises.
      EXAMPLES OF TRAINING SCHEDULES: You can set up your program so that Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays are your hard days, and the
      other four days are for recovery. Here is a sample schedule for a cyclist.
      * TUESDAYS: SHORT INTERVALS. Go out for a long ride of 20 to 70 miles, and in the middle of the ride, do multiple repetitions of
      short intervals with each burst taking less than 30 seconds, followed by about 90 seconds to recover. You do not build up
      significant amounts of lactic acid in 30 seconds, so you can do many repetitions of these short intervals.
      * THURSDAYS: LONG INTERVALS. Go out for 20 to 70 miles and in the middle of the ride do all-out intervals of two minutes each.
      Since you will build up tremendous amounts of lactic acid and cause considerable muscle soreness, you cannot do many repetitions of
      these long intervals. You may be able to do only two repetitions during your ride. Highly-conditioned bicycle racers can do longer
      intervals and many more repetitions during the workout.
      * SATURDAYS: INTENSE LONG RIDE OR RACE. This is an extended intense workout and you push the pace all the way. You can spend your
      entire ride pushing on the pedals as hard as you can until your muscles start to burn, immediately lowering the pressure on the
      pedals until the burn goes away, and then immediately going back into maximum effort. Some racers are better off limiting the time
      that they ride in pace lines, because pace lines slow them down and interfere with the workout. Your sustained ride can be from 20
      to more than 100 miles, depending on your level of conditioning.
      * THE OTHER DAYS - RECOVERY: Go out and ride at a comfortable pace and go as far as you want, as long as it does not interfere with
      your next-day intense workout. If you cannot come back for your Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday training days, you have probably
      gone too long or too fast on your recovery day.
      From Dr Gabe Mirkin at:
      http://www.drmirkin.com

      10. Should You Run Through Discomfort or Pain?
      This is a question Bennett frequently hears from coaching clients. Discomfort, aches and pains during training can be expected.
      When to run through and when to stop running? When is the ache or pain a red stop light?
      Guidelines
      During a workout, it's OK to run through an occasional muscular twinge. If the twinge persists, worsens or forces you to alter your
      gait, your body telling you "this way more stress and strain than I can handle". Cut your workout short and head home. Ice the
      affected area several times daily for the first 48 hours. See Icing - No Muss No Fuss for tips on icing.
      Muscle soreness for 48-72 hours after a hard or long run is a normal part of adapting to training, but should not be ignored. Do
      not attempt another run until the soreness disappears. Rest or cross-train instead. Research has shown that easy running does not
      speed up healing. Treat muscle soreness that lasts more than 72 hours and cut back on training.
      More...from the IAWR at:
      http://www.iawr-connect.com/training/should-you-run-through-discomfort-or-pain/

      11. Overtraining - Learn how to identify Overtraining Syndrome:
      Use the Quick-Reference Symptoms List below to identify overtraining and stop it before it's too late.
      Do you know the difference between being just a little tired or on a down-cycle, and being legitimately run down or over tired?
      It's important to be able to tell the difference if you want to stay injury free. Nothing will put a stop to your fitness goals more
      quickly than not being able to recognise when you're legitimately run down and over tired.
      One of the biggest challenges to achieving your fitness goals is consistency. If you're repeatedly getting sick, run down and
      overtrained it becomes very difficult to stay injury free. So, how do you keep the consistency of regular exercise, without over
      doing it and becoming sick or injured?
      Amateur and professional athletes alike are constantly battling with the problem of overtraining. Being able to juggle just the
      right amount of training, with enough sleep and rest, and the perfect nutritional diet is not an easy act to master. Throw in a
      career and a family and it becomes near impossible.
      More...from the Stretching Handbook at:
      http://tinyurl.com/dx3c5ox

      12. Who Will I Disappoint?
      Choosing which story you get to tell.
      You would think by now I'd know to expect it, but you'd be wrong. The nagging conversation that takes place in my head in the later
      stages of a race occurs each time as if it had never happened before. Oh right, I think. I know how this goes. But each time, this
      debate, this discussion with myself, surprises me. It never feels like a rerun.
      It goes like this: Who are you trying to impress? Or, more precisely, Who are you afraid of disappointing? When I get to the part in
      the race where it starts to feel hard, when I want to give up, I talk to myself. Often I'll get to a point where, if this were a
      real conversation with a real other person, I'd be so annoyed and frustrated I'd leave the room.
      Maybe there are people who are truly self-motivated, who don't need attention and praise. That's noble. I am made of weaker stuff. I
      care what others think about me; I care about how I will tell the story when I have to say, out loud, how things went. For me, shame
      is a useful motivator. I like to trumpet my successes because it helps me to hear not that I'm better than people think I am, but
      better than I believe I am; I hate to admit defeat or to recap a bad performance because it plays into my self-doubt. I try to
      restrain from the Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda refrain but it's hard not to make excuses and stick to Didn't.
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=26920

      13. Ten Self-Myofascial Release Exercises for Runners:
      Runners should complete self-myofascial release using a foam roller or lacrosse ball to keep their structural integrity intact.
      Massaging overactive soft tissue will reduce any inflammation in your muscles and fascial system, or the sheath that surrounds your
      muscles.
      Spend 5 to 10 minutes before your run, then 5 to 10 minutes after your run executing the following exercises three to four times a
      week for 30 seconds to 2 minutes per area.
      More...from Active.com at:
      http://tinyurl.com/d63npg3

      14. The Benefits of Middle-Age Fitness:
      Americans are living longer, with our average life expectancy now surpassing 78 years, up from less than 74 years in 1980. But we
      are not necessarily living better. The incidence of a variety of chronic diseases, like diabetes, cancer and heart disease, has also
      been growing dramatically, particularly among people who are not yet elderly.
      The convergence of those two developments has led to what some researchers have identified as a "lengthening of morbidity." That
      means we are spending more years living with chronic disease and ill health - not the outcome that most of us would hope for from a
      prolonged life span.
      But a notable new study published last week in Archives of Internal Medicine suggests that a little advance planning could change
      that prospect. Being or becoming fit in middle age, the study found, even if you haven't previously bothered with exercise, appears
      to reshape the landscape of aging.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/05/the-benefits-of-middle-age-fitness/?ref=nutrition

      15. This Week in Running:
      10 Years Ago- Ronald Mogaka (KEN) won the Park Forest Scenic (IL/USA) 10M by nearly a full minute
      over Patrick Nthiwa (KEN), 47:06 to 48:02. Kenyans accounted for the first ten places.
      Teresa Wanjiku (KEN) led five Kenyans in the women's race with a 55:02. Agnes
      Ngunjiri was 2nd. This race dropped prize money five years later and the following
      year cut back to a 5 mile and now is just a local road race.
      20 Years Ago- Sergio Jimenez (MEX) won the City of San Francisco (CA/USA) Marathon over Driss Dacha
      (MAR), 2:16:44 to 2:17:30. Nivaldo Filho (BRA) was 3rd at 2:17:38. Irina Bogacheva
      (KGZ) won the women's race over Laura deWald (USA), 2:36:54 to 2:40:27. Sharlet
      Gilbert was 3rd at 2:42:06. Bogacheva logged 72 sub-2:50 marathons during her
      career (see list below). This is another race that dropped prize money and saw
      winning times and fields decline.
      30 Years Ago- Timothy Johnson (ENG) won the 15th running of the Two Bridges (SCO) 36M with Martin
      Daykin (ENG) not far behind, 3:28:36 to 3:29:08. American Charlie Trayer was 4th a
      3:38:18. This race made it to 38 runnings before succumbing to urbanization.
      40 Years Ago- Lasse Viren (FIN) won the Olympic (GER) gold medal in the 10000m Emile Puttemans (BEL),
      27:38.35 to 27:39.58. Miruts Yifter (ETH) got the bronze medal at 27:40.96. Mariano
      Haro (ESP) was 4th (27:48.14) and marathon gold medalist-to-be Frank Shorter (USA)
      was 5th at 27:51.32. Long-time London Marathon race director Dave Bedford (ENG) was
      6th at 28:05.44. Viren would collect another gold in the 10000m a week later.
      50 Years Ago- Bill Silverburg (USA) won the 3rd edition of the Heart of America (MO/USA) Marathon
      in 3:09:36. This race celebrated its 53rd running this year.
      60 Years Ago- Aleksandr Anufriyev (RUS) won the Soviet 10000m championships in 29:59.6.
      From The Analytical Distance Runner, the newsletter for the Association of Road
      Racing Statisticians with a focus on races, 3000m
      and longer, including road, track, and cross-country events

      *Please verify event dates with the event websites available from our FrontPage
      (www.runnersweb.com)

      September 7, 2012:
      (Inaugural) Ragnar Relay Colorado - Aspen, CO

      CBCSports.ca Live Streaming
      2:00 PM Championship Track and Field - Diamond League Brussels

      September 8, 2012:
      Subaru Banff Triathlon - AB

      September 9, 2012:
      Atlanta Eikiden Team Relay - Atlanta, GA

      Bronx 10 Mile - Bronx, NY

      Nation's Triathlon - Washington, DC

      June 22, 2013
      Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women
      http://www.emiliesrun.com

      mailto:runnersweb@yahoogroups.com and in our Runner's Web Forum,
      available off our FrontPage. If you post to the mailing list and
      mailto:webmaster@... to notify us of the problem. To update
      your Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the
      website at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RunnersWeb/join , sign in and
      update your changes.

      Ken

      Ken Parker
      www.RunnersWeb.com
      mailto:kparker@...
      613-746-4053
      http://www.OACRacingTeam.com
      http://www.EmiliesRun.com

      *** END OF RUNNER'S AND TRIATHLETE'S WEB DIGEST...***