Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest - August 3, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2012
      those of the Runner's Web. Visit the Runner's Web at http://www.runnersweb.com The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out
      our daily news, features, polls, trivia, bulletin boards and more.

      1. Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women - Canada's Fastest Women's 5K.
      The 2013 race will be run on June 22nd.
      Sports 4 is providing cash prizing as follows:
      First Overall $1000, Second Overall $750, Third Overall $550, Fourth Overall $400, Fifth Overall $300
      First Masters (40 & over*) $500
      There are cash prizes for the following:
      New Race Record: $1000, New Masters (40 & over*) Record: $500, New 5 Year Age Category Age : $100
      *age as of Dec 31, 2013
      For more on the race visit the website
      at: http://www.emiliesrun.com.

      3. Toronto Waterfront Marathon, date October 14, 2012
      The fastest men's and women's marathon on Canadian soil!
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/STWM_Transporter.html

      4. Goodlife Fitness Toronto Marathon - ~Online Registration is Now Open~
      Next year's race will be run on Sunday May 5, 2013
      http://www.torontomarathon.com/registration/online-registration.html

      5. Training Peaks
      The Runner's Web has partnered with Training Peaks to provide online
      coaching from experts such as Hal Higdon, Joel Friel and Matt
      Fitzgerald. Sign up at:
      https://home.trainingpeaks.com/create-account-personal-edition.aspx?af=RunnersWeb

      6. iRun Magazine
      iRun is Canada's highest-circulation and most popular running magazine. With a total distribution of 50,000 and more than 9,000
      subscribers, iRun is leading the market in the rapidly growing and highly desirable demographic of Canadian runners.
      http://www.irun.ca/

      7. Olympic Physical Therapy and Foot Orthotics:
      Olympic Physical Therapy and Foot Orthotics was founded in May of 2000 by Don Levine, MSPT and Bert Reid, DPT, to provide outpatient
      physical therapy and sports medicine rehabilitation to the residents of Rhode Island and South Eastern Massachusetts. Consistently
      assessing the needs of our communities while striving to provide the highest level of care and customer service. This has allowed
      Olympic and its staff to thrive and earn accolades such as, in 2007, becoming the first recipient of the Small Business of the Year
      award from The Newport Chamber of Commerce
      http://olympicpt-ri.com

      ASSOCIATIONS:
      The Runner's Web is a member of Running USA, The National Professional
      Organization for the Running Industry.
      http://www.runningusa.org/

      NEW SUBSCRIBERS: Check the "New Subscribers' note at the bottom of the
      newsletter

      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is available
      [Long URL] The Digest is also available through other RSS Readers on request.

      Get the Runner's Web button for the Google Toolbar 4 for Internet
      Explorer from the link on our FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com .

      TWITTER
      Follow us on Twitter at:
      http://twitter.com/runnersweb

      FACEBOOK
      We have reached the limit of 5000 friends on our Facebook page so we have added a Fans page at:
      http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/RunnersWebcom-Inc/189255654487874?sk=wall

      To join the Runner's Web Facebook group, if you are not a member of Facebook, you

      Event directors, add your event to our Event Calendar at:
      http://runnersweb.mhsoftware.com/

      We have 2734 subscribers as of publication time. Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they subscribe at:

      ROAD RUNNER SPORTS
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/Mobile_RRS.html

      * Sports Nutrition by Sheila Kealey. Sheila is one of Ottawa's top
      multisport athletes and a member of the OAC Racing Team and X-C Ottawa. She has a Masters in Public Health and works in the field of
      nutritional epidemiology as a Research Associate with the University of California, San Diego. Her column index is available at:

      * Running Research News: RRN's free, weekly, training update provides subscribers with the most-current, practical, scientifically
      based information about training, sports nutrition, injury prevention, and injury rehabilitation. The purpose of this weekly e-zine
      is to improve subscribers' training quality and to help them train in an injury-free manner. Running Research News also publishes a
      complete, 12-page, electronic newsletter 10 times a year (one-year subscriptions are $35); to learn more about Running Research
      News, please see the Online Article Index and "About Running Research News" sections below or go to www.RRNews.com. Check out the
      article index at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/RRN_index.html

      community. We have NO personal postings this week.

      THIS WEEK'S DIGEST ARTICLE INDEX:

      1. The Olympics and bare feet: The debate continues
      2. It’s Hard to Stay Friends With a Digital Exercise Monitor
      3. Why asthma doesn’t stop elite athletes
      4. Conditioning and physiology: how to train and compete in hot weather
      5. Five Mental Steps to Achieving a Breakthrough Triathlon Performance
      6. Fitness Isn’t Seen to Prevent Sports Injury
      7. Strength Training as a Family Affair
      8. VO2max - The monthly newsletter of RunCoachJason.com
      9. Ask The Coach: What Do You Think Of Junk Miles?
      10. The Olympics and Bare Feet: What Have We Learned?
      11. Prevent Running Overuse Injuries in 6 Steps
      12. Running Mechanics, Not Metabolism, Are the Key to Performance for Elite Sprinters
      13. Five Strategies to Beat the Heat in Your Next Triathlon
      14. Dieting vs. Exercise for Weight Loss
      15. This Week in Running

      THIS WEEK'S POLL:
      "Which type of running shoe(s) do you wear for training?"
      Cushioned
      Motion Control
      Neutral
      Performance
      Racing
      Stability
      Trail
      Other

      Vote in the poll at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/rw_vote.html

      PREVIOUS POLL RESULTS:
      How will you follow this summer's Olympic Games?
      Answers Percent Votes
      1 In person 11% 117
      2 Television 25% 273
      3 Internet 38% 415
      4 Newspapers 27% 294
      Total Votes: 1099

      Close Window
      You can access the poll from our FrontPage (http://www.runnersweb.com) as well as checking the results of previous polls.

      FIVE STAR SITE OF THE MONTH: London 2012 Olympics Web Site
      The official site of the 2012 London Olympic Games.
      Visit the site at: http://www.london2012.com/

      BOOK/VIDEO/MOVIE OF THE MONTH: Running for Women
      Running For Women
      By Carolyn Smith, Jason Karp
      Product Description
      According to Running USA, women account for 53 percent of all road race finishers. Their participation rates have rocketed from
      908,000 in 1989 to over 5.4 million in 2009. Readers have been seeking a comprehensive book that appeals to both recreational
      fitness runners and serious performance runners and that uniquely addresses a female audience. Exercise physiologist, coach,
      competitive runner, and 2011 IDEA Personal Trainer of the Year Dr. Jason Karp teams with physician and USA Track & Field
      ultramarathon champion Dr. Carolyn Smith to fill this void with Running for Women, a book that explains the physiology and anatomy
      of female runners and provides guidance for training differently from men.
      Running for Women presents guidelines for tailoring training to the menstrual cycle for maximum response and adaptation as well as
      determining the best times to perform the various types of training outlined in the book. Throughout the book, cutting-edge workouts
      target various competitive goals like endurance building, speed and strength training, lactate threshold training, and VO2max
      training.
      This guide also contains recommendations for modifying workouts and training programs for all stages of the life span, including
      pregnancy, menopause, and postmenopause. Common injuries are covered, particularly the increased incidence of knee injuries and
      stress fractures among female runners, as are health, wellness, performance nutrition, and the female athlete triad—a combination of
      disordered eating, menstrual irregularities, and osteoporosis

      Buy the book from Human Kinetics at:
      http://www.humankinetics.com/products/all-products/Running-for-Women?associate=880&isbn=9781450404679

      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/human_kinetics.html and
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/velopress.html

      THIS WEEK'S FEATURES:

      1. The Olympics and bare feet: The debate continues
      When the shoes Bikila was given for the race didn't fit comfortably, he ditched them for his bare feet. After all, that's the way he
      had trained for the Olympics in his homeland.
      Racing shoeless led to success for Bikila, and now, more than 50 years later, runners are continuing to take barefoot strides.
      Several Olympic runners have followed Bikila and nationally the trend has exploded over the past decade. There's even a national
      association dedicated to barefoot running. However, scientists are stuck on whether it either prevents or increases injuries.
      "Bikila may have been on to something," said Carey Rothschild, an instructor of physical therapy at the University of Central
      Florida in Orlando who specializes in orthopedic sports injuries. "The research is really not conclusive on whether one approach is
      better than the other. But what is clear is that it's really a matter of developing a good running form and sticking to it, not
      suddenly changing it."
      More...from R&D at:
      http://www.rdmag.com/News/2012/07/Life-Science-Biology-The-Olympics-and-bare-feet-The-debate-continues/

      2. It’s Hard to Stay Friends With a Digital Exercise Monitor:
      EARLIER this month, I found myself obsessing over a digital pet as demanding as the Tamagotchi toys I collected as a child. Those
      virtual creatures lived on the screens of egg-shaped key chains and needed constant feeding and petting, which was accomplished with
      the press of a button.
      My latest fixation wasn’t an ersatz animal. It was the Nike FuelBand, a slim, black bracelet that has the mission of tracking the
      daily physical activity of anyone who wears it.
      From the moment I wrapped the band around my wrist, I was enamored with the idea of a device that could help me collect data about
      my habits and behavior, so that I could try to improve them. The only trouble was that the device didn’t seem to work very well.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/29/technology/nike-fuelband-tracks-physical-activity-inconsistently.html

      3. Why asthma doesn’t stop elite athletes:
      If you’re vying for gold in a sport that demands a lot of huffing and puffing, you’d think that asthma would be a pretty significant
      disadvantage. But if trends from recent Olympic Games hold true, about 700 of the 10,000 athletes currently competing in London have
      confirmed asthma diagnoses – and those athletes will be twice as likely to medal as their non-asthmatic peers.
      This “asthmatic advantage” was once thought to result from the performance-enhancing effect of asthma drugs. But recent research at
      the University of British Columbia and elsewhere has debunked this theory, shedding light instead on the link between intense
      exercise and respiratory function, and on the crucial role of a good warm-up for managing exercise-induced asthma without drugs.
      More...from the Globe and Mail at:
      http://tinyurl.com/c7o77z6

      4. Conditioning and physiology: how to train and compete in hot weather:
      Why hot-weather training is a delicate balance between staying cool and hydrated while performing at a competitive level.
      Alicia Filley explains why hot-weather training is a delicate balance between staying cool and hydrated while performing at a
      competitive level.
      When training in hot weather, it’s likely that you’ll feel more sluggish. This is because your body regulates your activity level
      based on its ability to keep itself cool. However, whether this heat-based fatigue is a reactionary event once a critical core
      temperature is reached (somewhere around 40°C), or a feed-forward response where the body selects a pacing strategy that avoids the
      critical temperature, is a matter of debate among researchers. What everyone agrees upon is that training the body to take a longer
      time to reach this temperature will delay fatigue and provide a performance edge.
      Excess heat generated during exercise is carried to the skin where it is lost via radiation, conduction, convection and evaporation.
      When nude and at rest, 60% of the body’s total heat loss comes from radiating heat in the form of infrared rays(1). Conduction is
      the transfer of heat from one object to another along a temperature gradient. In air, this accounts for only about 3% of the body’s
      heat loss, but becomes more important when exercising in water because water is a far more efficient heat conductor. Convection is
      what makes us feel cooler on a windy day. As air moves across the skin, heat is transferred to it.
      More...from Peak Performance Online at:
      http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/conditioning-and-physiology-how-to-train-and-compete-in-hot-weather-42358

      5. Five Mental Steps to Achieving a Breakthrough Triathlon Performance:
      How much to train, how far to swim bike, run, what carbon aero widget to buy and much more...the triathlon space has no end of
      guidance on these topics, much of it confusing and contradictory, but comparatively little about how to actually execute on race
      day. What little there is focuses on what pace, heart rate, watts to swim, bike, or run at, how much to eat and drink, and much
      more.
      But in our experience, success on race day is much more about what goes on between your ears. We'd like to share with you the steps
      we use to prepare our athletes to achieve breakthrough performances on race day.
      Step 1: Forget Your Fitness
      Understand that all you've done in training for 3, 6, 9 or more months is build a fitness vehicle. Race day is about how you drive
      that vehicle the race distance and across the finishline. All the fitness in the world can't help you if you don't know how to drive
      it properly!
      More...from TriFuel at:
      http://www.trifuel.com/training/sports-psychology/five-mental-steps-to-achieving-a-breakthrough-triathlon-performance

      6. Fitness Isn’t Seen to Prevent Sports Injury:
      There are good reasons for college athletes to get in shape before the season, but a study suggests that injury prevention is not
      one of them.
      Canadian researchers evaluated 86 male and female hockey, volleyball and basketball players for endurance, body strength and
      flexibility. The scientists also measured the time each participant spent in practice and competition, and they collected
      information on the athletes’ injuries.
      More than three-quarters had at least one injury, and they were injured more often in games than in practice. But there was no
      correlation between overall fitness and the time until a first injury.
      Instead, the study found the best predictors of early injury were being female and playing volleyball. It was published last week in
      the journal Sports Medicine, Arthroscopy, Rehabilitation, Therapy & Technology.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/30/fitness-isnt-seen-to-prevent-sports-injury/

      7. Strength Training as a Family Affair:
      About six months ago, Rebecca Milano’s daughter MacKenzie fell and twisted her knee while playing lacrosse.
      At first, the prognosis was bleak. Doctors told MacKenzie, 14, she would have to avoid exercise and cope with knee pain for two
      years. But Ms. Milano, unhappy with that idea, sought a second opinion from a sports medicine doctor, whose advice to her daughter
      was the opposite.
      “He said, ‘Your muscles are weak, and your homework is to do strength training three times a week,’ ” said Ms. Milano, a teaching
      assistant in Cornwall, N.Y.
      MacKenzie soon began using dumbbells and doing strength-building exercises like lunges and jump squats. Since she started the
      program in May, the pain in her knee has subsided, she says, and she is now playing lacrosse again.
      “It definitely has made her stronger,” Ms. Milano said.
      Not long ago, many doctors would have warned parents like Ms. Milano to keep their children out of the weight room, citing the
      conventional wisdom that young people don’t need muscle enhancement and that pumping iron will only stunt their growth and cause
      injuries.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/24/strength-training-as-a-family-affair/

      8. VO2max - The monthly newsletter of RunCoachJason.com:
      ** Don't Stretch for Strength
      If you currently stretch before you lift weights, you may want to stop. Research shows that muscle strength decreases from 4.5 to
      28 percent when preceded by stretching exercises. Possible reasons may be a delayed neuromotor response that occurs immediately
      after stretching and an increase in muscle compliance, which may limit the capacity of muscles to produce force. Research also
      suggests that stretching doesn't protect against injury, nor does it diminish muscle soreness following a workout. It seems as if
      the only, albeit important, benefit of stretching is increased flexibility, with the greatest benefit occurring when stretching is
      done apart from your cardio or strength workouts.
      ** From my forthcoming book, Running a Marathon For Dummies, available for pre-order at Amazon.com or at
      http://www.runcoachjason.com/merchandise .
      The long runs are the best chance to practice your pre-marathon meal. As your runs get long (over 15 miles), practice getting up
      and eating breakfast before you run just as you'll do on marathon race day. Try different foods to see what works and what your
      stomach can handle.
      Once you're out the door running, what you eat gets a little trickier. With the popularity of marathon running has also come the
      popularity of carbohydrate drinks, gels, and bars to replenish blood glucose while running. It seems that everyone now does
      Saturday or Sunday long runs with a fuel belt around his waist. But do you really need to fuel during your long runs?
      Ingesting carbohydrates during long runs maintains your blood glucose level and makes you feel better. However, doing so has the
      potential to defeat one of the main purposes of the long run, which is to deplete your muscles of carbohydrates. Ingesting
      carbohydrates during your long runs provides muscles with an accessible fuel, thereby blunting the three adaptations you want to
      achieve: the depletion and subsequent resynthesis of more glycogen, your muscles' reliance on fat, and your liver's ability to make
      new glucose. If you consume carbs during the long run, your liver doesn't have to make new glucose; it can go on vacation, sitting
      back and watching as glucose enters your blood from what you ingest.
      Not consuming carbs during your long runs, though effective for forcing adaptations, isn't for beginner runners or the faint of
      heart. Running until you've depleted your fuel tank doesn't feel good. Beginner runners just need to get through the long runs,
      which already provide a stress. If you're a beginner runner and your goal is to finish the marathon without any concern for the
      time you run it in, feel free to consume carbs during your long runs so you can get through the runs. The carbs can give you both a
      physical and psychological boost. Ingest simple carbs, preferably glucose, so the sugar can quickly pass through your stomach and
      get into your small intestine, from where it's absorbed into the blood. Gels, gummy bears, jelly beans, and sports drinks are all
      good, easily digestible sources of simple carbs.
      If you're an intermediate or advanced runner who's run a few marathons before and your goal is to run your next marathon faster, try
      to go without carbs on some of your long runs so you maximize your physiological adaptations. However, be prepared for the sluggish
      feeling you're likely to experience toward the end of the run.
      Although not fueling your long training runs can help your marathon performance, the marathon itself is another story. In the
      marathon, you definitely want to consume carbs because maintaining blood glucose levels for as long as you can is important so you
      can maintain your pace.
      Even though you use a different strategy for the marathon than you do for training, you don't ever want to do something in the
      marathon that you haven't done in training. So don't consume carbohydrates in the marathon if you've never done so during your long
      training runs. Otherwise, you may end up with some gastrointestinal distress in the race and have to take some trips to the
      Porta-Potties along the race course! Try to balance the physiological purpose of the long runs with the practical gastrointestinal
      issue of consuming carbohydrates while running. To attend to both issues, I recommend alternating your long training runs during
      which you consume and don't consume carbohydrates.
      Want more? Pre-order a signed copy of Running a Marathon For Dummies at http://www.runcoachjason.com/merchandise.
      To view past newsletters go to: http://www.runcoachjason.com/newsletter
      Copyright 2012 Jason Karp All Rights Reserved - http://www.runcoachjason.com

      9. Ask The Coach: What Do You Think Of Junk Miles?
      Ask The Coach: What Do You Think Of Junk Miles?
      By Mario FraioliPublished Jul. 31, 2012Updated 47 mins ago
      0commentsTweetShareShare
      .
      Junk miles are only that if they don't have a purpose in your training.
      Q.
      Mario,
      What do you think about the concept of “junk miles”? Some programs, like the FURST method of running less, argue against running
      extra miles because they can lead to increased injuries without adding anything extra to one’s preparation for a marathon. Some of
      your previous articles have suggested that adding extra miles, like recovery miles, will enhance the training effort. So I am a
      little confused. Thanks for your comments.
      Allen
      A.
      Allen,
      Thanks for your question. While I’m not familiar with FURST method of running, I do know a thing or two about junk miles. If you’re
      training to race or set a new personal best, a junk mile is only junk if it doesn’t have a purpose in your training. In this case,
      if you’re running miles for the sake of running miles then you need to rethink what you’re doing. Every mile should have a purpose,
      whether it’s increasing endurance, developing speed, improving strength or enhancing recovery. Easy “extra” miles, in addition to
      long runs and key workouts such as interval sessions, hill repeats or tempo runs, can be great for recovery, as well as increased
      aerobic development and strength, if your body has shown it can handle that kind of pounding and accumulation of stress. A lot of
      runners can, and for these athletes, easy “extra” miles are anything but junk. They have their place.
      On the flip side of the coin, if you’re running just to run, keep in shape, have time to yourself, enjoy time with friends, etc.,
      that’s cool, too. Those miles are anything but junk. “Junk” miles, as discussed here, only apply when you’re trying to target you’re
      running toward getting ready for competition or improving performance.
      More...from Competitor Magazine at:
      http://running.competitor.com/2012/07/training/ask-the-coach-what-do-you-think-of-junk-miles_15343

      10. The Olympics and Bare Feet: What Have We Learned?
      Ethiopian runner Abebe Bikila made history when he earned a gold medal at the 1960 Summer Olympics in Rome. His speed and agility
      won him the gold, but it was barefoot running that made him a legend.
      When the shoes Bikila was given for the race didn't fit comfortably, he ditched them for his bare feet. After all, that's the way he
      had trained for the Olympics in his homeland.
      Racing shoeless led to success for Bikila, and now, more than 50 years later, runners are continuing to take barefoot strides.
      Several Olympic runners have followed Bikila and nationally the trend has exploded over the past decade. There's even a national
      association dedicated to barefoot running. However, scientists are stuck on whether it either prevents or increases injuries.
      More...from Science Daily at:
      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/07/120727102436.htm

      11. Prevent Running Overuse Injuries in 6 Steps:
      To improve as a runner, regardless of your ability and experience, you need to run consistently over long periods of time. But
      logging miles regularly—some at quicker paces to prepare for races—can result in overuse injuries.
      Outsmart injury with this six-step process:
      1.Learn your body
      2.Develop efficient patterns of movement
      3.Improve joint mobility
      4.Strength train
      5.Identify training errors
      6.Increase your body awareness
      More...from Active.com at:
      http://tinyurl.com/d6qfjnb

      12. Running Mechanics, Not Metabolism, Are the Key to Performance for Elite Sprinters:
      Sprinters competing in the 2012 Olympics might assume their championship performance is the result of their fuel-efficient
      physiology.
      But a new study disproves the classic scientific view that conserving energy maximizes performance in a sprinting event.
      The study by biomechanics researchers Matthew W. Bundle at the University of Montana and Peter G. Weyand at Southern Methodist
      University, Dallas, demonstrates that metabolic economy is not an important factor for performance in events lasting 60 seconds or
      less.
      In fact, just the opposite is true.
      "That prevailing view is no longer viable," said Weyand. "Sprinters, if anything, are wasteful of energy. This is due to the
      biological trade-offs between faster muscle fibers that provide the large and rapid forces needed for sprinting, and slower muscle
      fibers that maximize metabolic economy."
      More...from Science Daily at:
      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/08/120801132723.htm

      13. Five Strategies to Beat the Heat in Your Next Triathlon:
      We are entering the hottest part of the season: July and August. Pretty much wherever you live you'll be experiencing some flavor of
      heat, humidity or both. It's time to step away from your race pace calculator and take a healthy dose of reality: there's simply no
      way you can race at your peak potential if your body isn't 100% ready for the conditions.
      The finish line of every triathlon is littered with bodies of athletes who "coulda shoulda woulda" had a great race if not for
      failing to address a specific challenge that arose on race day. Consider this article our attempt to help you avoid such a
      predicament.
      #1 -- Pick The Right Gear
      If you know your race is going to be hot, you need to make some serious gear considerations. Please know that I am not advocating a
      white one-piece tri suit that is still on sale at your local store for 80% off...no heat is worth that kind of sacrifice!
      Make sure your race outfit is not black, save for the shorts...color does matter. Your bike should have multiple places to store /
      hold fluids, critical as you'll not only be drinking a lot but you'll need the space to effectively use all the aid stations on your
      day. While we are talking about the bike, sunscreen is a critical component as well -- no skimping! Use the water from aid stations
      to keep your head and body cool as well.
      More...from TriFuel at:
      http://www.trifuel.com/training/race-day-prep/five-strategies-to-beat-the-heat-in-your-next-triathlon

      14. Dieting vs. Exercise for Weight Loss:
      Two groundbreaking new studies address the irksome question of why so many of us who work out remain so heavy, a concern that
      carries special resonance at the moment, as lean Olympians slip through the air and water, inspiring countless viewers to want to
      become similarly sleek.
      And in a just world, frequent physical activity should make us slim. But repeated studies have shown that many people who begin an
      exercise program lose little or no weight. Some gain.
      To better understand why, anthropologists leading one of the new studies began with a research trip to Tanzania. There, they
      recruited volunteers from the Hadza tribe, whose members still live by hunting and gathering.
      Providing these tribespeople with a crash course in modern field-study technology, the researchers fitted them with GPS units, to
      scrupulously measure how many miles each walked daily while searching for food. They also asked them to swallow so-called doubly
      labeled water, a liquid in which the normal hydrogen and oxygen molecules have been replaced with versions containing tracers. By
      studying these elements later in a person’s urine, researchers can precisely determine someone’s energy expenditure and metabolic
      rate.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/01/dieting-vs-exercise-for-weight-loss/?ref=nutrition

      15. This Week in Running:
      10 Years Ago- Paula Radcliffe (ENG) won the gold medal at the Commonwealth Games (ENG) by a 22 second
      margin over Edith Masai (KEN), 14:31.42 (CG record) to 14:53.76. Ines Chenonge (KEN)
      got the bronze medal with a 15:06.06. Francis Robert Naali (TAN) won the men's marathon
      with a 2:11:58 over the 2:12:44 for Joshua Chelanga (KEN). Andrew Letherby (AUS) got
      the bronze medal with a 2:13:23. Kenyans swept the medals in the men's 5000m, led by
      Sammy Kipketer at 13:13.51. Benjamin Limo (13:13.57) and William Kirui (13:18.02)
      followed.
      20 Years Ago- Lameck Aguta (KEN) led a 1-6 Kenyan sweep at the Wharf to Wharf (CA/USA) 6M with
      a 26:42. Simon Karori (26:56) and Benson Masya (27:26) followed. Albina Gallyamova
      (RUS) won the women's race in 31:34 with Scholastica Ndigirgi (KEN) and Maria Trujillo
      (USA) running 2nd and 3rd with 31:42 and 31:51 respectively.
      30 Years Ago- Monica Joyce (IRL) and Regina Joyce (IRL) went 1-2 at the WAAA Championships (ENG) 5000m
      with 15:45.26 and 16:15.71 respectively while Julie Asgill (ENG) in 3rd got the ENG
      title at 16:50.77.
      40 Years Ago- Werner Dössegger won the Swiss 10000m title over Albrecht Moser, 29:04.2 to 29:21.2.
      The women's 3000m title went to Gabriele Andersen who ran 10:26.2.
      50 Years Ago- Michel Bernard won the French 5000m title over Robert Bogey, 13:54.6 to 13:57.6. Jean
      Vaillant was 3rd at 14:00.0.
      60 Years Ago- Herbert Schade (GER) won a 5000m in Turku FIN with a 14:19.2.
      70 Years Ago- Patrick Ryan won the All-Ireland Championship (NACA) Marathon with a time of 3:03:01.
      80 Years Ago- Thore Enochsson (SWE) won the Swedish marathon title with a time of 2:29:33.8 (40 km).
      90 Years Ago- Gustav Kinn (SWE) won the Swedish marathon title with a time of 2:45:35.3 (40 km).
      100 Years Ago- Taavetti Kolehmainen (FIN) defeated Alexis Ahlgren (SWE) in a marathon held in Tampere
      FIN (40.2 km).
      From The Analytical Distance Runner, the newsletter for the Association of Road
      Racing Statisticians with a focus on races, 3000m
      and longer, including road, track, and cross-country events

      *Please verify event dates with the event websites available from our FrontPage
      (www.runnersweb.com)

      July 27 - August 12, 2012:
      London 2012 Olympic Games - London, UK

      August 4, 2012:
      Atlanta's Finest 5K - Atlanta, GA

      National Capital 10K & 5K - Ottawa, ON
      National Capital Triathlon & Duathlon - Ottawa, ON

      Salinas Valley Half-Marathon - Salinas, CA

      (15th) TD Bank Beach to Beacon 10K - Cape Elizabeth, ME

      June 22, 2013
      Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women
      http://www.emiliesrun.com

      mailto:runnersweb@yahoogroups.com and in our Runner's Web Forum,
      available off our FrontPage. If you post to the mailing list and
      mailto:webmaster@... to notify us of the problem. To update
      your Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the
      website at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RunnersWeb/join , sign in and
      update your changes.

      Ken

      Ken Parker
      www.RunnersWeb.com
      mailto:kparker@...
      613-746-4053
      http://www.OACRacingTeam.com
      http://www.EmiliesRun.com

      *** END OF RUNNER'S AND TRIATHLETE'S WEB DIGEST...***