Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest - July 6, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2012
      those of the Runner's Web. Visit the Runner's Web at http://www.runnersweb.com The site is updated multiple times daily. Check out
      our daily news, features, polls, trivia, bulletin boards and more.

      1. Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women - Canada's Fastest Women's 5K.
      The 2013 race will be run on June 22nd.
      Sports 4 is providing cash prizing as follows:
      First Overall $1000, Second Overall $750, Third Overall $550, Fourth Overall $400, Fifth Overall $300
      First Masters (40 & over*) $500
      There are cash prizes for the following:
      New Race Record: $1000, New Masters (40 & over*) Record: $500, New 5 Year Age Category Age : $100
      *age as of Dec 31, 2013
      For more on the race visit the website
      at: http://www.emiliesrun.com.

      3. Toronto Waterfront Marathon, date October 14, 2012
      The fastest men's and women's marathon on Canadian soil!
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/STWM_Transporter.html

      4. Goodlife Fitness Toronto Marathon - ~Online Registration is Now Open~
      Next year's race will be run on Sunday May 5, 2013
      http://www.torontomarathon.com/registration/online-registration.html

      5. Training Peaks
      The Runner's Web has partnered with Training Peaks to provide online
      coaching from experts such as Hal Higdon, Joel Friel and Matt
      Fitzgerald. Sign up at:
      https://home.trainingpeaks.com/create-account-personal-edition.aspx?af=RunnersWeb

      6. iRun Magazine
      iRun is Canada's highest-circulation and most popular running magazine. With a total distribution of 50,000 and more than 9,000
      subscribers, iRun is leading the market in the rapidly growing and highly desirable demographic of Canadian runners.
      http://www.irun.ca/

      7. Olympic Physical Therapy and Foot Orthotics:
      Olympic Physical Therapy and Foot Orthotics was founded in May of 2000 by Don Levine, MSPT and Bert Reid, DPT, to provide outpatient
      physical therapy and sports medicine rehabilitation to the residents of Rhode Island and South Eastern Massachusetts. Consistently
      assessing the needs of our communities while striving to provide the highest level of care and customer service. This has allowed
      Olympic and its staff to thrive and earn accolades such as, in 2007, becoming the first recipient of the Small Business of the Year
      award from The Newport Chamber of Commerce
      http://olympicpt-ri.com

      ASSOCIATIONS:
      The Runner's Web is a member of Running USA, The National Professional
      Organization for the Running Industry.
      http://www.runningusa.org/

      NEW SUBSCRIBERS: Check the "New Subscribers' note at the bottom of the
      newsletter

      The Runner's and Triathlete's Web Digest is available
      [Long URL] The Digest is also available through other RSS Readers on request.

      Get the Runner's Web button for the Google Toolbar 4 for Internet
      Explorer from the link on our FrontPage at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com .

      TWITTER
      Follow us on Twitter at:
      http://twitter.com/runnersweb

      FACEBOOK
      We have reached the limit of 5000 friends on our Facebook page so we have added a Fans page at:
      http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/RunnersWebcom-Inc/189255654487874?sk=wall

      To join the Runner's Web Facebook group, if you are not a member of Facebook, you

      Event directors, add your event to our Event Calendar at:
      http://runnersweb.mhsoftware.com/

      We have 2730 subscribers as of publication time. Forward the Runner's Web Digest to a friend and suggest that they subscribe at:

      ROAD RUNNER SPORTS
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/Mobile_RRS.html

      * Sports Nutrition by Sheila Kealey. Sheila is one of Ottawa's top
      multisport athletes and a member of the OAC Racing Team and X-C Ottawa. She has a Masters in Public Health and works in the field of
      nutritional epidemiology as a Research Associate with the University of California, San Diego. Her column index is available at:

      * Running Research News: RRN's free, weekly, training update provides subscribers with the most-current, practical, scientifically
      based information about training, sports nutrition, injury prevention, and injury rehabilitation. The purpose of this weekly e-zine
      is to improve subscribers' training quality and to help them train in an injury-free manner. Running Research News also publishes a
      complete, 12-page, electronic newsletter 10 times a year (one-year subscriptions are $35); to learn more about Running Research
      News, please see the Online Article Index and "About Running Research News" sections below or go to www.RRNews.com. Check out the
      article index at: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/RRN_index.html

      community. We have ONE personal posting this week.
      MyCanFund.ca.
      With every donation to CAN Fund you find out the name of the
      athlete supported and receive a tax receipt. DONATE TO SUPPORT OUR CANADIAN ATHLETES TRAINING FOR LONDON.
      More...
      http://mycanfund.ca./
      Donate here:
      http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx?registrationID=1039771
      Nikkita Holder, Athletics (100m Hurdles) recently became a CAN Fund Recipient. Nikkita was Canada's top hurdler at the 2011 World
      Championships finishing 6th and is a 2012 Olympic hopeful. There are over 45 Canadian athletes from Athletics on our waitings.
      Donate to help our athletes
      succeed at www.MyCANFund.com and receive a tax receipt and the name of athlete supported

      THIS WEEK'S DIGEST ARTICLE INDEX:

      1. VO2max - The monthly newsletter of RunCoachJason.com
      2. Running My First Marathon. Finally
      3. Chocolate milk post-workout: nutritious choice or big glass of hype?
      4. Getting High on (Endo)cannabinoids
      5. How Many Weeks Before Your Marathon Should You Run Your Last Long Run?
      6. Produce Over Pills
      Supplementing our diet with real food.
      7. Engineers see Olympic future of spray-on suits
      8. Delineating the Perfect Swim Stroke
      9. Achieve Olympic Feet With Barefoot Running
      10. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health e-Zine
      11. Speed Base
      Proper speed work during your base phase can keep you fast both now and when you're ready to peak.
      12. Heat Wave Especially Dangerous for Kids
      13. 6 Steps to Barefoot Running
      14. Drink to Thirst
      An Excerpt From Tim Noakes' New Book Waterlogged,
      15. This Week in Running

      THIS WEEK'S POLL:
      What was/were the greatest running achievement(s) of all time?
      Emil Zatopek wins the 5K, 10K and Marathon at the 1952 Olympics
      Roger Bannister breaks 4 minutes for the mile
      Abebe Bikila wins the 1960 and 1964 Olympic Marathons
      Lasse Viren wins the 5K and 10K in 1972 and 1976 Olympics
      Flo Jo runs 10.49 in the 1988 U.S. Olympic Trials
      Joan Samuelson wins the first Women's Olympic Marathon
      Michael Johnson runs 19.32 in the 1996 OIympics
      Usain Bolt runs world records of 9.69 and 19.30 in the Beijing Olympics
      Paula Radcliffe runs 2:15:25 for the marathon
      Other

      Vote in the poll at:
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/rw_vote.html

      PREVIOUS POLL RESULTS:
      The women's world record for the mile is 4.12.56 set by Svetlana Masterkova of Russia in 1996. Will a woman ever break 4 minutes for
      the mile?
      Answers Percent Votes
      1 Never 19% 139
      2 50 years 27% 198
      3 25 years 17% 123
      4 10 years 14% 102
      5 5 years 11% 80
      6 1-4 years 12% 88
      Total Votes: 730

      You can access the poll from our FrontPage (http://www.runnersweb.com) as well as checking the results of previous polls.

      FIVE STAR SITE OF THE MONTH: Running4Women.
      Running4women is the UK's No.1 website community for women who enjoy running and leading an active, healthy lifestyle. Our
      registered members are a friendly lot who run for fun, to keep fit, lose weight or to raise money for charity.
      It's completely FREE to join Running4Women and registration takes just 30 seconds! Join today to get access to:
      . Features, inspiration & professional advice on running, training, nutrition, gear and general fitness
      . Expert Q&A
      . Our events calendar to help you find races and events that suit you, including our very own series of Running4Women races.
      . Training plans to help you start running and improve your times!
      . A range of interactive training tools to help you get the most out of your running, including your own Training Diary
      . Great competitions
      . The weekly Running4Women email newsletter
      . Lots of opportunities to meet and chat with other friendly members and compete against them in the Running4Women leader-boards!
      . AND there's lots more new stuff on the way, including our very own Mobile APP for iphone and android.
      If you are a bit more serious about running and race, why not join the R4W race team and take advantage of additional features and
      benefits.
      Got a question? Contact the team, we're always happy to hear from you and see how we can help.
      Visit the website at:
      http://www.running4women.com/

      BOOK/VIDEO/MOVIE OF THE MONTH: Running with the Kenyans: Passion, Adventure, and the Secrets of the Fastest People on Earth
      By Adharanand Finn (Author)
      "A dusty road stretches into the distance like a pencil line across the arid landscape. Lions, rhino, and buffalo roam the plains on
      either side. But I haven't come to Kenya to spot wildlife. I've come to run."
      Whether running is your recreation, your religion, or just a spectator sport, Adharanand Finn's incredible journey to the elite
      training camps of Kenya will captivate and inspire you. Part travelogue, part memoir, this mesmerizing quest to uncover the secrets
      of the world's greatest runners-and put them to the test-combines practical advice, a fresh look at barefoot running, and hard-won
      spiritual insights.
      As a boy growing up in the English countryside, Adharanand Finn was a natural runner. While other kids struggled, he breezed through
      schoolyard races, imagining he was one of his heroes: the Kenyan long-distance runners exploding into prominence as Olympic and
      world champions. But as he grew up, pursued a career in journalism, married and had children, those childhood dreams slipped
      away-until suddenly, in his mid-thirties, Finn realized he might have only one chance left to see how far his talents could take
      him.
      Uprooting his family of five, including three small children, Finn traveled to Iten, a small, chaotic town in the Rift Valley
      province of Kenya-a mecca for long-distance runners thanks to its high altitude, endless running paths, and some of the top training
      schools in the world. Finn would run side by side with Olympic champions, young hopefuls, and barefoot schoolchildren . . . not to
      mention the exotic-and sometimes dangerous-wildlife for which Kenya is famous.
      Here, too, he would meet a cast of colorful characters, including his unflappable guide, Godfrey Kiprotich, a former half marathon
      champion; Christopher Cheboiboch, one of the fastest men ever to run the New York City Marathon; and Japhet, a poor, bucktoothed boy
      with unsuspected reservoirs of courage and raw speed. Amid the daily challenges of training and of raising a family abroad, Finn
      would learn invaluable lessons about running-and about life.
      Running with the Kenyans is more than one man's pursuit of a lifelong dream. It's a fascinating portrait of a magical country-and an
      extraordinary people seemingly born to run.

      Buy the book from Amazon at:
      http://www.amazon.com/dp/0345528794?tag=runnersweb%22&link_code=as3&creativeASIN=0345528794&creative=373489&camp=211189

      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/human_kinetics.html and
      http://www.runnersweb.com/running/velopress.html

      THIS WEEK'S FEATURES:

      1. VO2max - The monthly newsletter of RunCoachJason.com:
      ** Running and Atherosclerosis
      Atherosclerosis is an inflammatory disease of the arteries caused by cells that accumulate in arterial plaques and produce factors
      that cause damage. One of those factors, called tumor necrosis factor (TNF), causes plaque stability, dysfunction of the
      endothelial lining of blood vessels, and inflammatory damage of the arterial wall. A study published in Journal of Applied
      Physiology in September, 2007 found that people who performed high-intensity aerobic exercise for 12 weeks (30 to 40 minutes at 55
      to 60% of maximum heart rate for 2 weeks, 65 to 75% of max HR for 2 weeks, and 75 to 80% of max HR for 8 weeks) showed a significant
      decrease in the production of TNF compared to those who performed moderate-intensity aerobic exercise (30 to 40 minutes at 55 to 60%
      of maximum heart rate) for 12 weeks. Both groups showed similar improvements in aerobic capacity.
      ** Training Programs
      Want a fast, guaranteed way to run your best race? RunCoachJason.com is now offering state-of-the-art training programs by digital
      download, complete with coaching instructions and detailed workout explanations, for 5K, 10K, half-marathon, and marathon for
      beginner, intermediate, and advanced endurance-type and speed-type runners. With these programs, you'll feel like you have your own
      coach! To download your own training program and be on your way to a new personal record, go to
      http://www.runcoachjason.com/trainingprograms
      ** Buying Running Shoes
      (from my forthcoming book, Running a Marathon For Dummies, available for pre-order at Amazon.com or at
      http://www.runcoachjason.com/merchandise)
      Keep these tips in mind when shopping for shoes:
      * Don't be influenced by the price. More expensive doesn't necessarily mean better. A higher price can mean that the shoe has more
      technology or it can simply mean that it's a flashy new model with a high markup cost. Most runners don't require all the bells and
      whistles found in fancy styles.
      * Match the size, width, and shape of the shoes to the shape of your feet. Don't try to fit a round peg into a square hole.
      * Make sure the shoes don't cause pressure points or squeeze your toes. Wiggle your toes in the shoes to make sure you can move
      them around. You don't want shoes that compress your toes and don't allow for freedom of movement. Pressure can lead to blisters,
      and as I can tell you from some painful experiences, you don't want to get blisters while you're running.
      * Buy shoes later in the day, when your feet are slightly swollen. Your feet also swell slightly when you run for a long time, so
      buying shoes later in the day (and even after you've run) more closely mimics the condition of your feet while you run.
      * Try on both shoes. Believe it or not, not all right and left feet are created the same. Your feet may be slightly different
      sizes, and one foot may pronate more than the other.
      *Wear the same type of socks that you run in. The more similar you can create your running conditions, the better fit you'll get in
      the shoes.
      * Run in the shoes while you're still in the store. Shoes often feel very different when walking around the store for a few steps
      versus actually running in them. You may feel things when you run that you don't feel when you walk. Many stores even have a
      policy that allows you to run in the shoes after you buy them and return them if they don't feel right. If the store has that
      policy, take advantage of it (just don't run in the mud before bringing them back).
      * Make sure you have a finger-width distance between your toes and the end of the shoe. Keep in mind that your feet swell slightly
      when you run. Y our toes should never touch the top of the shoes.
      * Buy shoes that are breathable. Sweaty feet don't just make your shoes smell - they can also give you hot feet, which can cause
      blisters and is uncomfortable.
      * Wear the shoes only to run. No matter how proud you are of your new sneaks and your commitment to train for a marathon, don't
      wear them out on the town or to a cocktail party. Your shoes will last longer (and you won't embarrass yourself or your mother) if
      you reserve them only for their intended purpose.
      * Buy a couple of pairs of shoes and alternate wearing them. Doing so lengthens the life of your shoes, and your feet don't get
      accustomed to just one pair. When you buy new shoes, keep your old ones and wear them on rainy days.
      * Change your shoes after 300 to 500 miles because they lose their shock-absorbing abilities.
      To view past newsletters go to: http://www.runcoachjason.com/newsletter
      Copyright 2012 Jason Karp All Rights Reserved - http://www.runcoachjason.com

      2. Running My First Marathon. Finally:
      It was almost the time for my first marathon to start. I'd been talking about running one for four and a half years, and now,
      finally, I had trained enough and avoided injuries, and I was ready to go. I leaned over to take off my sweat pants and was hit with
      an agonizing, paralyzing cramp in my left calf.
      The pain made me drop to the ground, trying to somehow stretch out my calf. Another runner came by and pulled my toes back, telling
      me the cramp would go away and I would be fine. He was right that the cramp went away, but the pain lingered through the marathon
      and for the next week.
      How typical. There are so many random things that can go right, or wrong, when you are preparing for a race. In the end, despite
      months of preparation, I ended up getting injured - while removing my sweats. It seems that there is always an element of luck that
      determines your fate in the marathon.
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/03/running-my-first-marathon-finally/?ref=nutrition

      3. Chocolate milk post-workout: nutritious choice or big glass of hype?
      Chocolate milk likely isn't the most obvious example of a refreshing post-workout drink. But according to Ottawa Senators
      conditioning coach Chris Schwarz, you should think again.
      In a promotional video, he explains why he looks to the sweet drink as an important post-workout beverage.
      "It provides all the nutrients that you'll need and it's something that you can [drink] over and over again, whether you're in a
      rink or on a field or whatever," says Mr. Schwarz. The video is featured on rechargewithmilk.ca, a site created by the Dairy Farmers
      of Canada to promote chocolate milk.
      Once preferred mainly by schoolchildren, chocolate milk is being recast as an essential tool for hardcore athletes and casual
      exercisers alike . In late 2008, the Dairy Farmers unveiled an advertising campaign to position chocolate milk as an important
      recovery beverage after exercise. New ads began appearing in the last few months, and the association is sponsoring triathlons,
      marathons and other races across the country, and handing out free products and promotional material to its target audience.
      More...from the Globe and Mail at:
      http://tinyurl.com/6mwhlbh

      4. Getting High on (Endo)cannabinoids:
      In discussions of runner's high, endorphins (basically the body's version of morphine) usually get most of the credit. Lately,
      though, there's been more research on the less-studied role of endocannabinoids (basically the body's version of cannabis, only
      discovered in the 1980s) as a contributor. Along those lines, there's a new study in the July issue of the European Journal of
      Applied Physiology which looks at the response of the endocannabinoid system to exercise stress.
      The study used Italian mountain climbers from the South Tyrolean Mountain Rescue team as volunteers. There were three groups: one
      group went for a hilly 4-hour hike at low altitude; the second group went for a hilly 4-hour hike that ascended to high altitude
      (3,196 m), where they spent the night; the third group simply took a helicopter to high altitude and spent the night there.
      More...from Sweat Science at:
      http://sweatscience.runnersworld.com/2012/07/getting-high-on-endocannabinoids/

      5. How Many Weeks Before Your Marathon Should You Run Your Last Long Run?
      Many marathoners run their last long training run two or three weeks before race day. Doesn't it make sense to run your last
      "biggie" reasonably close to your race to derive maximum benefit and bolster your endurance? After all, you recover during your
      taper.
      Running your last long run this close to race day is a crucial training error. During a long run, leg muscles sustain considerable
      damage. Contractile fibres get damaged or destroyed. Until the muscle tissue has repaired itself, the propulsive force that your
      leg muscles can exert is decreased, hindering your ability to maintain running at race pace over long distance.
      Research shows that even after three weeks, marathoners' leg muscles are not completely recovered from their last long run. Four
      weeks or even longer is required for full recovery. In a landmark research study, Dutch researchers found that two-thirds of
      marathoners in their study already had significant amounts of muscular damage in their legs on race morning, even before having run
      a single step that day! They were not fully recovered from their previous training, their last long run being a major contributor
      their "muscular misery".
      Clearly, running a marathon on less than fully recovered muscles stacks the odds against you running a good race.
      More...from the IAWR at:
      http://www.iawr-connect.com/training/yournextmarathon/

      6. Produce Over Pills:
      Supplementing our diet with real food.
      Diet matters for most masters runners. Whether we're trying to lose weight, defy cancer and aging, or boost overall health, we worry
      about what we put into our bodies.
      To ensure we get the nutrition we need, many of us rely on supplements. Low on protein? Whip up a whey powder shake. Missing some
      antioxidants? Pop a pill chock-full of vitamins C, E and A. According to Consumer Reports, more than half of Americans buy
      supplements, fueling sales of $30 billion annually. We buy these supplements for a simple reason: We no longer trust the food we eat
      to provide the nutrition our bodies require.
      "Masters runners who want to eat healthy need to spend more time at the farmers market and less at the pharmacy," says Melissa
      Breyer, co-author of True Food, Green Living columnist for Discovery Channel's TreeHugger.com, and a committed masters runner. "Real
      food will give us what supplements can't."
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=26488

      7. Engineers see Olympic future of spray-on suits:
      Sweaty sports changing rooms ripe with the stench of much-used trainers may soon become a relic of the past.
      If sports engineers have their way, future Olympic athletes will use "spray chambers" to don sports gear that comes out of an
      aerosol can and 3D-printers to create personalized running shoes just moments before they compete.
      As a new wave of a sports engineering comes out of the lab and into elite competitive games, experts say every sport - from swimming
      to skiing to the shot put - will benefit from scientific advances in materials, coaching techniques and tools that will continue to
      shave milliseconds off record times.
      In a report on the future of sports engineering, scientists said they are keen to avoid accusations of "technology doping".
      More...from the Ottawa Citizen at:
      http://www.ottawacitizen.com/technology/personal-tech/Engineers+Olympic+future+spray+suits/6882031/story.html#ixzz1zfMinibj

      8. Delineating the Perfect Swim Stroke:
      Should a swimmer's arms serve as paddles or propellers? That question, abstruse as it might seem, underlies a long-running
      controversy in swimming about the best, most efficient technique for the freestyle and the backstroke. It also prompted a new study
      from a group of scientists at Johns Hopkins University that, in seemingly answering the question, is likely to provoke even more
      debate.
      The concern about how best to position and move the arm during the freestyle stroke (also known as the front crawl) and its inverse,
      the backstroke, first gained prominence back in the 1960s, when James E. Counsilman, the famed Indiana University men's swimming
      coach known as Doc, decided to apply scientific principles of propulsion and fluid dynamics to swim techniques
      More...from the NY Times at:
      http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/04/delineating-the-perfect-swim-stroke/?ref=nutrition

      9. Achieve Olympic Feet With Barefoot Running:
      Olympic runners could run more economically by just taking off their trainers, say researchers at Northumbria University.
      In new research, Dr Michael Wilkinson found that when runners who always wear shoes run barefoot they immediately alter their gait
      to that characteristic of habitual barefoot runners, and also use less oxygen during barefoot running compared to running with shoes
      at the same speed. This indicates greater running economy which is an important determinant of distance running performance,
      especially in elite runners.
      More...from Science Daily at:
      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/07/120702133246.htm

      10. Dr. Gabe Mirkin's Fitness and Health e-Zine:
      ** Iron Deficiency Without Anemia Impairs Exercise
      A report from Cornell shows that lack of iron, even when it doesn't cause anemia, can hinder endurance.
      You tire earlier during exercise when your red blood cell count is low because your blood cannot carry as much oxygen as that of a
      person who is not anemic. However, less than half of the iron in your body is stored in your red blood cells. You also store iron in
      reserves in your muscles, and other tissues, but you will not become anemic from iron deficiency until you have used up all the iron
      in your iron reserves.
      This study shows that women who lack iron but are not anemic tire earlier, but improve to normal when they are given extra iron. If
      you feel that you tire early in exercise, get a blood test called ferritin, which measures iron reserves. If it is low, take iron
      pills to increase your endurance.
      Marginal iron deficiency without anemia impairs aerobic adaptation among previously untrained women. American Journal of Clinical
      Nutrition, 2002, Vol 75, Iss 4, pp 734-742. T Brownlie, V Utermohlen, PS Hinton, C Giordano, JD Haas. Haas JD, Cornell Univ, Div
      Nutr Sci, Savage Hall, Ithaca,NY 14853 USA
      ** Restricting Calories Without Also Exercising Does Not Prolong Lives
      Virtually all studies on the subject show that reducing calories can prolong the lives of yeast, insects and animals. However a
      recent study shows that restricting calories in fruit
      flies and preventing them from exercising does not prolong their lives (Cell Metabolism, July 3, 2012). That means that restricting
      calories so much that you don't have enough energy to exercise may not prolong your life.
      WHY CALORIE RESTRICTION WITHOUT EXERCISE DOES NOT PROLONG LIFE: Calorie restriction causes flies to exercise more, and their
      muscles to make and use more fat for energy, both of which prolong their lives. Flies who were on a restricted diet and were
      prevented from exercising did not live longer.
      Muscles use primarily fat and sugar for energy. The increased physical activity in calorie-deprived flies was caused by increased
      fat production and usage by the flies' muscles.
      Blocking fat synthesis specifically in the muscle tissue prevented calorie restriction from prolonging life. To prolong life, you
      need your muscles to make more fat and use it to power your muscles. These are the same changes in muscles that occur when a person
      starts endurance training.
      CONCLUSION: Endurance training prolongs lives. Calorie restriction, like endurance training, prolongs lives by causing muscles to
      make a greater percentage of fat and to use more fat during exercise. Flies who are on calorie restriction and are prevented from
      exercising do not live longer. Dr. Kapahi, the author, states that "Our work argues that simply restricting nutrients without
      physical activity may not be beneficial in humans."
      From Dr Gabe Mirkin at:
      http://www.drmirkin.com

      11. Speed Base:
      Proper speed work during your base phase can keep you fast both now and when you're ready to peak.
      For many runners, the dog days of summer mean base building for a fall marathon. Improving your aerobic system with a big base is
      critical to running a fast marathon. But what about all those fun and competitive 5Ks you have lined up this summer? Is it possible
      to maintain speed while building miles, and not threaten to ruin the effects of the base training? Can speed work in the base phase
      help your marathon training?
      Popularized by the renowned coach Arthur Lydiard, traditional marathon training doctrine dictates that a runner spend six to 10
      weeks slowly building their aerobic system with a steady diet of easy mileage, a marathon-paced run, and one fartlek session each
      week to prepare the body for faster training in the marathon-specific phase. Speed work during the marathon base period, however,
      was considered out of the question. Until recently.
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=26476

      12. Heat Wave Especially Dangerous for Kids:
      Extreme heat continues to plague the nation with many areas seeing record temperatures. Though everyone needs to take precautions
      when it comes to dangerous heat, it's especially important to watch your kids. Children are at a greater risk than adults of
      sustaining a heat injury.
      "Kids bodies don't acclimate to the heat as well adults. They don't sweat as effectively. They absorb more heat since they have
      smaller bodies and a higher ratio of surface area to body mass," said Jerold Stirling, chair of the department of pediatrics at
      Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine and pediatrician at Loyola University Health System.
      More...from Science Daily at:
      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/07/120703200516.htm

      13. 6 Steps to Barefoot Running:
      Barefoot running is one of the most controversial topics in the world of running today. Shoe manufacturers, hoping to capitalize on
      the buzz, have introduced a variety of footwear into the market; and the fad has led to a slew of experts and non-experts alike
      making unfounded claims about the benefits or hazards of this style of running. Even research on the topic has left many unanswered
      questions.
      Before you incorporate barefoot running into your exercise regimen, learn the basics of body movement and how to transition to this
      style in six steps.
      Nuts and bolts of movement
      Body movement results from force production and force dissipation, which are complex neurological and biomechanical processes
      especially when it comes to walking or running.
      When the body is in motion, it uses a "feed-forward" system as opposed to a "feedback" system. This means that much of what happens
      during movement with muscle contractions is a process by which the brain anticipates what is about to happen and accordingly
      contracts or relaxes respective muscle groups in order to properly accommodate the movement that is taking place.
      More...from the Sport Factory at:
      http://thesportfactory.com/site/trainingnews/6_Steps_to_Barefoot_Running.shtml

      14. Drink to Thirst:
      An Excerpt From Tim Noakes' New Book Waterlogged.
      Dehydration" is a physiological term indicating a reduction in the total-body water content. Once the reduction in body water causes
      the solute concentration, especially the sodium concentration (actually the osmolality), of the blood to rise, the brain detects the
      change and develops the symptom of thirst. This is a normal biological response that has evolved in all creatures to ensure that
      they maintain a constant body water content at least once each day, usually after the evening meal.
      When fluid is lost from the body, either in sweat as a result of exercise or from the gastrointestinal tract in diseases like
      cholera or typhoid, the concentration of solutes, especially sodium in the blood, rises, causing the blood osmolality to increase.
      This rise stimulates receptors in a special part of the brain, the hypothalamus, which in turn interact with three other nuclei,
      which increase secretion of the hormone AVP/ADH (arginine vasopressin, also known as antidiuretic hormone), whose function is to
      increase water reabsorption by the kidney. In response to the action of AVP/ADH, the kidney reduces the amount of fluid secreted. As
      a result, urine flow into the bladder is reduced. Nucleus 5 also stimulates the cells in another part of the brain, the cingulate
      gyrus, which increases thirst. As a result, the desire to drink is increased and water (and sodium through the action of
      aldosterone) is reabsorbed by the kidneys. The result is that the blood osmolality returns to its homeostatically regulated value,
      switching off the desire to drink.
      More...from Running Times at:
      http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=26481

      15. This Week in Running:
      10 Years Ago- Rachid Ziar (MAR) was the first finisher at the French 10K road championships
      with a time of 28:32 but the title went to 3rd placer Mohamed Ouaadi at 28:57.
      In between was Simon Wanjohi (KEN) at 28:47. In the women's race, Hafida Gadi
      took and title and the race with a 33:37. Daniela-Ileana Dorca (ROM) was 2nd
      with 33:40 and Fatiha Klilech (FRA) was 3rd with 33:49. Current French leader
      (ARRS rankings) Christelle Daunay was 4th at 34:16. In a separate race,
      Jean-Joseph Brecheteau (FRA) won the veteran's title with a 29:49.
      20 Years Ago- Lisa Ondieki (AUS) won the 10000m at the World Games, held in Helsinki FIN,
      defeating Maria-Conceicao Ferreira (POR), 31:11.72 to 31:16.42. Albertina Dias (POR)
      was 3rd at 31:42.70. Fita Bayissa and Addis Abeba made it 1-2 for Ethiopia in the
      men's 5000m with times of 13:13.44 and 13:17.61 respectively. Domingos Castro (POR)
      was 3rd at 13:19.98.
      30 Years Ago- Bogumil Kus and Jerzy Finster were 1-2 at the Polish 10000m championships with
      times of 29:15.58 and 29:16.68.
      40 Years Ago- The leaders at the 59th edition of the Polytechnic (ENG) Marathon ran off course with
      some runners estimated to have run as much as 28 miles. The win was awarded to Donald
      Faircloth (ENG) with a time of 2:31:52 while Eric-John Austin (ENG) was next at
      2:33:09. Further back were Ron Bentley (7th), Cavin Woodward (8th) and Max Coleby (9th).
      50 Years Ago- Pyotr Bolotnikov (RUS) won the 5000m at the Znamensky Memorial (RUS), with a 14:02.4.
      Aleksandr Artinyuk (RUS) was 2nd at 14:08.0 while Yuriy Nikitin (RUS) was 3rd at 14:13.8.
      Leonid Ivanov (KGZ) won the next day's 10000m, clocking 29:27.4. Janos Pinter (HUN) was
      next with 29:28.8 while Miklos Szabo (HUN) was 3rd at 29:30.2.
      60 Years Ago- John Landy (AUS) won a two mile track race in Middlesbrough ENG with a 8:54.0.
      From The Analytical Distance Runner, the newsletter for the Association of Road
      Racing Statisticians with a focus on races, 3000m
      and longer, including road, track, and cross-country events

      *Please verify event dates with the event websites available from our FrontPage
      (www.runnersweb.com)

      July 7, 2012:
      Smith Rock Sunrise Summer Classic Half - Terrrebonne, OR

      July 8, 2012:
      Aileen Meagher International - Halifax, NS

      July 27 - August 12, 2012:
      London 2012 Olympic Games - London, UK

      June 22, 2013
      Emilie's Run - The Emilie Mondor Memorial 5K Race for Women
      http://www.emiliesrun.com

      mailto:runnersweb@yahoogroups.com and in our Runner's Web Forum,
      available off our FrontPage. If you post to the mailing list and
      mailto:webmaster@... to notify us of the problem. To update
      your Runner's Web eGroups subscriber's profile, go to the
      website at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RunnersWeb/join , sign in and
      update your changes.

      Ken

      Ken Parker
      www.RunnersWeb.com
      mailto:kparker@...
      613-746-4053
      http://www.OACRacingTeam.com
      http://www.EmiliesRun.com

      *** END OF RUNNER'S AND TRIATHLETE'S WEB DIGEST...***